IGNORED

Article: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

9 hours ago, HelpfulDad said:

I hear the difference, understand mathematics and signal processing to explain why what I hear is better so eh!

No you don't, or if you do, you are decidedly in the minority in that regard.

Another discussion is that DRM is why MQA exists.  Stuart has taken an egregious approach to getting paid for his technology, but it’s no different than paying Dolby a license to use their tech in hardware, the 1¢ we spent on cassettes for Philips, or what we pay Sony/Philips for each CD so again, who cares?

The entire record buying public cares, DRM has been consistently rejected by the market and that will continue.

Don’t dismiss the codec if you’re not going to apply it.

You mean upsampling with a leaky MP filter, right? We can easily do that without MQA should anyone be so inclined.

If it’s authenticated as MQA Studio, that means the creative team who produced the Master has participated in the authentication

It does not mean that at all, where do you get that information, can you cite sources? 

If Chris Squire, Eddy Offord, Steve Howe, Jon Anderson listen to Yes Fragile after it’s MQA encoded/decoded and they all agree and sign off that it’s what they were trying to do in the first place,  I’d feel confident that the codec is reproducing music that is an accurate representation of the album.

Related to the above, Chris Squire passed away in June 2015, and so have many other artists, engineers, producers, and band members who you claim are involved in authenticating an MQA encode. We've been through this false claim at length, these albums were batch encoded in the cloud, with absolutely no involvement from the team that created the recordings. Have you seen Neil Young's statement on this?

But, MQA cleverly tosses unused bits outside the content’s dynamic range, and thats called lossy. This confusion seems to stem from describing anything below the noise floor of the content as not audible.  Sadly,MP3 devotees say that the part of the music that is lost to compression is inaudible. The difference is MQA loses no content, it tosses unused bits. Big difference. 

MQA is lossy, even BS has been forced to admit that, and the organization was forced to stop using their original logo which included the word lossless in it. Those are facts. Your representation above? Nonsensical at best.

I’ve given up convincing all but those who haven’t actually heard quality MQA studio recordings fully decoded.

Again, how would you know who has heard what? A few anecdotal exchanges and now you know exactly what everyone has heard or not heard?

Even the stereo store guy. They usually have axes to grind and may not even know how MQA works and how to properly decode it. 

Nobody has been going to stereo stores for a long time due to the pandemic, however your representation of "the stereo store guy" is exactly the opposite of accurate, retailers have every reason to push MQA as the next great thing, so that they can sell you all new hardware. They are professionals who make their living selling audio gear, why do you think they don't know how to "properly decode it"? FYI... there is no such thing as proper here, either you are decoding MQA, or you are not.

Ask questions and be sure you’re seeing the MQA DAC showing MQA Studio on the indicators as it plays back.  Sit back and enjoy.  It’s much more pleasant 

Make sure you see that comforting blue light! Hysterical.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2021 at 3:39 PM, JoshM said:

You say that you understand signal processing, but the above doesn’t make sense.

“Digital audio is lossy compared to live or even analog”? By definition, any recording medium is “lossy” (in the colloquial sense) compared to live. But analog — as in tape or vinyl — is “lossy” in the way you’re describing. They cannot produce the full frequency range. Digital is likewise band limited. But we can increase the sample rate to capture as high of frequencies as we want. Regardless, MQA is lossy (in the digital sense) compared to a PCM version of the same digital recoding. It’s throwing out information. That’s central to its existence. 

“Nothing captures what’s happened between samples”? All digital audio relies on reconstructing the original waveform — including what happens between samples — from the samples. Do you think MQA doesn’t involve sampling?

Of course it does, but I can see why it may seem I’m claiming that MQA is lossless like perfect analog would be.  But my point is that MQA is no more lossy than any digital, or to your point, analog recording is.  Well, it might be more lossy than accurate analog since that could be considered truly lossless.  My point being that if one classifies MQA as lossy, then so is any digital audio, not that MQA isn’t. 

On 2/1/2021 at 7:21 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

If nobody had spoken up, do you think this would still be the MQA logo? Absolutely 100% it would be the MQA logo. Those who think it's lossless, should ask themselves why MQA no longer uses this logo. 

ImageAgentProxy.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.20.49 AM.png

Because it makes for too many unnecessary battles without any real benefit.  Its as lossless as any digital sampling without the perceptual encoding 

On 2/1/2021 at 7:15 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

As MQA is the grift that keeps on grifting, I should add that I couldn't care less if people love MQA and want to listen to it all day every day. That's their choice. The other side of this coin is that I don't want them telling me what I can/can't listen to. Unfortunately, this is what MQA was designed to do. Bob Stuart has said it many times, including in the first MQA panel that I moderated at RMAF. Bob said the goal is a single deliverable (file) to replace all other formats. 

That's my issue. I have no problem selecting DACs, music, and services that don't charge me the MQA tax. However, as MQA content replaces pure PCM on Tidal, some people have had their access to non-MQA music removed. That's not cool in my book. If this happens on the other lossless services, it will be a shame. Removing choice is never a good thing for consumers. 

Yet we all paid a cassette and CD tax to Phillips without a peep.

On 1/31/2021 at 10:45 PM, firedog said:

Great, you've just proving that expectation bias works.

MQA is a tech designed to insert itself into all stages of the recording and marketing process and get paid along the way. It has the potential for severe DRM, and it's owners have explicitly stated their goal is to make it THE only available source of hi-res or "masters". Since their is no consensus that it improves SQ or adds anything else positive, who needs it and why does it exist - other than to line Bob's pockets and enable labels to prevent us from hearing the actual masters?

How do you know this? I was one of the early adopters of an MQA DAC (like others here) and have heard it fully decoded. Did blind tests. Conclusion: "meh". Some tracks sounded "better", some worse, some the same. Mostly the "better" ones sounded different, and I have no way of knowing it they were the same master or otherwise altered (It's been shown some MQA tracks have slightly increased volume, which makes them sound "better" in a comparison).

And by the way "all the math" - are you kidding? It's just upsampling and crappy, nothing special filtering after the first unfold. Maybe what's really going on is that you like the sound of the added aliasing artifacts MQA adds in in the second unfold.

What nonsense. You don't have a clue what you are talking about in terms of lossy, Nyquist, etc.

Additionally, "MQA loses no content" - who says? Bob? I don't want him making that decision for me, or one of his proprietary algorithms. What about artists who say MQA altered their content for the worse? Give me the unaltered master and let me decide.

Again, just some myth you've invented for yourself. Hard for you to believe, but LOTS of people have heard it "properly decoded" and don't think it adds anything.

And BTW, MQA themselves disagree with you - they claim even with just the first unfold it's superior. It's right there in the opening description of it at their website - that the first unfold is superior to CD and has all the musical content....Any other claims you'd like to invent?

And MQA "Studio"  - another myth.  Stop drinking the Kool Aid. The "artists" didn't approve all those recordings. And what percent of MQA is "studio", anyway?

Probably what's really going on here is you are seeing lights blinking on your DAC and that's "improving the SQ" for you.

I understand that your brain doesn’t allow you to appreciate the nuances in music that comes from MQA or probably for more than 44.1/16, but that sounds like a personal problem, particularly with the condescending tone of your tirade.

just because you can’t hear doesn’t mean its not there

On 2/1/2021 at 7:05 AM, MikeyFresh said:

The entire record buying public cares, DRM has been consistently rejected by the market and that will continue.

You mean upsampling with a leaky MP filter, right? We can easily do that without MQA should anyone be so inclined.

It does not mean that at all, where do you get that information, can you cite sources? 

Related to the above, Chris Squire passed away in June 2015, and so have many other artists, engineers, producers, and band members who you claim are involved in authenticating an MQA encode. We've been through this false claim at length, these albums were batch encoded in the cloud, with absolutely no involvement from the team that created the recordings. Have you seen Neil Young's statement on this?

MQA is lossy, even BS has been forced to admit that, and the organization was forced to stop using their original logo which included the word lossless in it. Those are facts. Your representation above? Nonsensical at best.

Again, how would you know who has heard what? A few anecdotal exchanges and now you know exactly what everyone has heard or not heard?

Nobody has been going to stereo stores for a long time due to the pandemic, however your representation of "the stereo store guy" is exactly the opposite of accurate, retailers have every reason to push MQA as the next great thing, so that they can sell you all new hardware. They are professionals who make their living selling audio gear, why do you think they don't know how to "properly decode it"? FYI... there is no such thing as proper here, either you are decoding MQA, or you are not.

And your temerity telling me what I know and don’t know is arrogant at best. 

On 3/27/2019 at 4:10 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Oh boy. 

We’ve all heard it. Using the same master it isn’t better. 

White glove remasters may sound good but MQA has nothing to do with that. It could be done better without MQA. There’s no way to remove data from the original and make it sound better. 

There is no such thing as deblurring. 

Here are a couple concise links. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/page/470/?tab=comments#comment-936690

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/page/485/?tab=comments#comment-938207

No you all haven’t heard it.  You say you have but there are plenty of pontificators who’ve only done part of the decoding on playback and dismiss it.  If anyone who likes the Moody Blues can get a chance to hear the UHQCD of “This is the Moody Blues”, fully MQA decoded, you’ll find it dramatically better than any other digital format.  Although it is a bit bright, IMHO like maybe the Dolby needed better calibration(brightness theory).  But it’s rich with detail I hadn’t heard before, even on vinyl.  Nothing gets lost in the crowded parts of their songs.  I have these songs in DSD and on vinyl and thought the DSD was good until I heard this. There are things going on musically that were inaudible except the MQA version.  When I go back to DSD, I can hear some of those things at times, but unlike the MQA playback, the little subtlety gets lost in all if the sounds

It’s really remarkable.  Funny thing is that I only bought it because that album isn’t available in DSD.  I really wasn’t expecting it to be better that the DSD of the same songs.  I’m willing to let Stuart have his cut for the convenience and the sound because it sounds so much better in many cases.  It’s like any other hi-res digital, sometimes its just upsampled from 44.1/16 or digitally mastered from a cassette master or??? and still sounds terrible.  But a good master and fully decoded MQA is a significant improvement in many cases like this Moody Blues album or Close to the Edge is another one where the detail doesn’t get lost.  

Have a listen to UHQCD “This is the Moody Blues”, fully decoded on a proper DAC, not just rendering one.  

2 minutes ago, botrytis said:

UHH - Sorry No @HelpfulDad. MQA is lossy in the same way that MP3 is lossy. Meaning that material that is encoded in the master IS REMOVED. In the case of MP3 it is to make the files smaller and to remove minor harmonics to do so. MQA removes actual bit depth of the file, meaning a 44.1/16 bit master is made into a 44.1/13 bit depth file. In this case, we do not know what is removed, then the file is put trough a DSP system to actually make the file louder and god knows what else. Then there are the leaky filters which actually CAUSE ringing, not remove it. Then the compress it with FLAC system but FLAC cannot compress something that has been put through a meat grinder like that, so he file is only a little bit smaller than the original FLAC.

MQA is nothing more than a means to control the whole process of digital audio. Sorry no. And besides, every MQA file I have heard sounds like ass.

No it isn’t.  Your imperfect understanding of how MP3 works vs. MQA leads you to think that. And, let me guess, you’ve never heard it fully decoded

On 2/1/2021 at 7:05 AM, MikeyFresh said:

And BTW. Chris Squire died after the music was encoded so there’s that bit of disinformation on your part.

4 hours ago, HelpfulDad said:

And BTW. Chris Squire died after the music was encoded so there’s that bit of disinformation on your part.

Bullshit, you are the one full of disinformation here, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Such impassioned defense of MQA with such a vanishingly low post count here at AS is dubious at best. Paid "internet influencer"? 

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/2/2021 at 11:25 PM, MikeyFresh said:

Bullshit, you are the one full of disinformation here, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Such impassioned defense of MQA with such a vanishingly low post count here at AS is dubious at best. Paid "internet influencer"? 

ROTFL!! Since I have a life and don’t post here often that means I’m paid?  I want MQA to succeed because it’s both convenient and excellent.  I can go further than MQA can in evangelizing because I won’t be subject to legal challenges that would be costly in terms of expensive and revealing proprietary information.  

There is more than adequate evidence to support MQA claims on top of the vast improvement in realism over straight PCM.  If you say you don’t hear a difference, it’s likely YOUR expectation bias or the person who set up the DAC didn’t do it right.  Idk why people are like this about MQA, other than the contrarian nature of those attracted to this hobby, but they are.   I, for one, am very happy that Stuart figured out how to jettison millions of unused bits and improve sound and don’t mind paying him for that.  

3 hours ago, HelpfulDad said:

ROTFL!! Since I have a life and don’t post here often that means I’m paid?  I want MQA to succeed because it’s both convenient and excellent.  I can go further than MQA can in evangelizing because I won’t be subject to legal challenges that would be costly in terms of expensive and revealing proprietary information.  

There is more than adequate evidence to support MQA claims on top of the vast improvement in realism over straight PCM.  If you say you don’t hear a difference, it’s likely YOUR expectation bias or the person who set up the DAC didn’t do it right.  Idk why people are like this about MQA, other than the contrarian nature of those attracted to this hobby, but they are.   I, for one, am very happy that Stuart figured out how to jettison millions of unused bits and improve sound and don’t mind paying him for that.  

Then why wasn't I enamored when I heard the McGrath MQA files at AXPONA in 2019? They were golden gloved and sounded horrible.

Just remember you cannot change digital sampling theory, unless you change you how the specific piece of music is sampled. Since MQA uses PCM, you cannot change the theory, that this sampling is based on.

Or are you like Trump and his followers who think now that all the UFO reporting's are to take the focus off the stolen election from Trump. It seems you are a very 'Q' person. MQA is much like a religion with rabid followers, that blindly follow (do not want to be educated) what ever the head of the religions says.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects