IGNORED

Article: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Here’s an interesting take at what some people hear when listening to MQA.

https://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-reviewed

https://www.audiostream.com/content/bluesound-plays-mqa

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/critics/messages/8/87573.html

It’s a look back at what the late Charlie Hansen wrote in response to Michael Lavorgna’s praise of the MQA version of “Riders on the Storm”. CH said the MQA version was actually making some fine detail more difficult to hear and thus taking away  some of the emotional nuance of the vocal. ML heard this as praiseworthy: “more dimensional” and “pleasantly softer”.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

18 minutes ago, Pete-FIN said:

Great article! Thanks for the effort to write it. Enjoyed reading it.

I have a MQA filter related question that I hope someone could give clarifying answer. 

I found out that Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital can not change DAC-filter when listening MQA. I am in the belief that Meridian has forbidden this to be possible. This is just my assumption, I don't know for sure. So, to get some actual knowledge to this, I present the following questions.

What is Meridians policy, is it allowed (or forbidden) to make an audio gear that have user changeable filters while listening MQA ? 

Are there any MQA enabled devices that can change DAC-filter while listening MQA ? 

Meridian hasn’t forbidden it, as far as we know. It apparently can be difficult to implement, which is one reason it doesn’t happen. There are DACs that switch, I can’t really remember which ones. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

7 hours ago, Pete-FIN said:

Has anyone seen or heard of a device that can do this ?

If there is at least a single device that can do this, then we know for sure that it is not forbidden by Meridian (like I pondered earlier).

Because of Meridians "hear it the way the artist intended" nonsense, I think it might be forbidden. Or, like firedog said, maybe it is just so difficult, that it hasn't been implemented as a feature in any device.

Didn't I read that dCS units can?

2 hours ago, botrytis said:

I am disheartened by the reaction on Stereophile, particularly Mr. Atkinson, as to Archimago and his pseudonym. I feel his reaction here, is one thing and then on Stereophile's site, it is another. 

I understand Archimago's reasoning about using the pseudonym. This is also a passion/hobby for him not his sole means of support. It seems since they cannot deflect, damage, or deny the science and thought behind the article, they deflect and go after the author. This is telling.

Dalethorn is also there throwing shade.

Where are these reactions?

5 hours ago, ednaz said:

All that scientific fact about moving images (I was talking about stills) ignores what I see about MQA. People with great ears (I was a union card holding musician until I was 30) talk about how MQA has more reality in the sense of environment. Which, given the de-blurring techniques, and noise feedback... makes a lot of sense.

"people with great ears" - only some of them, and almost all  in sighted tests. Have you not read all the reports of listeners (many in blind testing) that don't agree? Or those who hear that the "softening" and "more natural"  sound is also acdompanied by a loss of small detail?

And it still isn't clear that the "deblurring" is being applied they way they claim, or that a user can't achieve the same result without MQA, just by using different filters. 

1 hour ago, eclectic said:

Malaysian_Qualifications_Agency_logo.png

The Malaysians should sue.:D

there goes the Malaysisan market...

5 hours ago, WiWavelength said:

I have my doubts about MQA's ability to research the recording provenance of albums slated for encoding.  Still, consider this an interesting aside.

Among my Stereophile CDs, I have the original "Test CD" [STPH-002-2] from 1990.  And on this CD is a 15 ips magnetic tape recording transferred to digital twice for comparison -- via the standard at the time Sony PCM-1630 ADC as well as via the then new Chesky 128x oversampling ADC.  Booklet text is credited to both John Atkinson (JA) and Robert Harley (formerly, RH), and in regards to the PCM-1630, the booklet quoth "...the initial A/D conversion for nine out of every ten CDs is made with this Sony converter."

I have no reason to doubt this assertion.  Per my understanding of early CD production, standard practice was to deliver to the pressing plant the digital master on U-matic tape, and the Sony PCM-1600 series provided the PCM adaptor for U-matic digital audio recording.

So, if a digital master is of a certain age, it likely had at least a final pass through a Sony PCM-1600 series ADC, perhaps even if upstream digital recording had been Soundstream, Mitsubishi, or 3M, etc.

AJ

MQA claim that the number of different ADCs used in old recordings was very small - as not many existed. So the issue of multiple unknown ADC's on old tracks isn't a problem.

They also claim they've analyzed so many tracks where they do know the ADC's used, that they've developed an algorithm that enables them to make a highly accurate guess about what ADC was used, even if provenance of the track isn't known. 

They can then apply the proper correction, and all of this is at least partially automated. 

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

How is this not the same as DSP at the end of the chain?

How is it the same?

They are claiming to correct the timing errors of the ADC in the recording.DSP at the end of the chain has a different purpose.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, mansr said:

I stopped listening at "my friend Bob Stuart."

Too bad. He said it was lossy and that it robs music of something, of ״quality״. And that he doesn’t like it. But he’s clearly trying not to be controversial and not insult his friend Bob. Says he put it into his equipment b/c customers want it and many like the sound.

2 hours ago, labjr said:

So basically, Paul McGowan says it's lossy, he can hear the difference and doesn't like it,  won't  use it in his DACs because MQA forces you give them an unfair advantage in your own product, but it is in his streaming products because it makes them sell better. 

He didn't say unfair advantage. He said b/c they sell upgradeable FPGA based DACs, and not chip DACs, it would interfere with their business model which is based on owners downloading updates to the OS.

And because he said 70-80% of his users like it and  want it.

I don't see anything wrong with that. 

Several years ago there were  manufacturers that were against USB inputs or DSD compatibility for either SQ or technical reasons or both. They later made products including both because customers wanted those features. 

2 hours ago, labjr said:

He didn't say anything about FPGA's  or their business model.

He said: 

"MQA requires changes to our D to A converters that we are not willing to make. Because we don't want to compromise their performance or their sound." 

First, "our D to A converter" IS an FPGA. That's the context. 

Second, the wider context, if you understand their use of FPGA and their business model, is exactly what I said. Here's one  other quote by Paul M. on the subject (there are many similar ones):

Ted and the engineers continue to improve the state of the art with digital filters on a regular basis – and one of the whole reasons we went to an FPGA based DAC in the first place was the freedom to improve the product’s performance over time. If we were restricted in what we could to future developments, held back because everything in the USB chain had to be 'fixed' by the MQA engineers first… that would be nuts.

I'm not going to bring you a full page of quotes of his on the subject. So yes, I interpreted what he said based on understanding the context and what  he's said over time about MQA. It doesn't make sense for a DAC business model based on regular SW updates that are essentially giving you a "new" DAC with changes to the filtering on a regular basis. 

And access of MQA Ltd to their IP, which they may not want to give out.

AFAIK, they basically write firmware updates, listen, and as soon as they like what they hear they release it to the DAC owners. All at their offices. 

Putting MQA approval-code writing into this process would complicate it and slow it down, possibly quite a bit - not to mention the possibility it could also change the sound of the firmware they just wrote and decided they were happy with. 

6 hours ago, labjr said:

I just quoted exactly what he said was the reason they don't have MQA in their DACs.  

And you apparently still don't understand it.

14 hours ago, mitchco said:

Unfortunately, for rock, pop, blues and most anything not classical, this will not be the case. As an ex-recording/mixing engineer, I can say that tracks are already compressed before even being recorded. Meaning, most mixing consoles have compressors/limiters on every channel strip. More often than not, compression and limiting is applied on the way to the multitrack recorder (analog or digital). More often than not, during mixdown, not only possible on individual tracks, but absolutely on the stereo master bus before hitting tape or digital. Finally, applied again during the mastering process.

Speaking with one of the engineers that did the mass majority of HDTracks transfers, more often than not, receives whatever is provided by the publishing company, and more often than not, it is a "safety" master is provided, which is an already compressed mixdown on tape or digital. The best the engineer can do is eq the master and add some stereo processing, depth, maybe add a bit of reverb...

Finally, virtually all music has passed through the device before it even reaches your ears. The simple reality is that we have all heard the sound of this device since 1967 – that’s 50 years ago folks. In fact, if you are listening to mainstream music right now, it is likely that you are also listening to the sound of this device. If you look at how the  Universal Audio 1176LN Peak Limiter works, it can substantially alter the music waveform in a way that there is no coming back, regardless of anything MQA can or cannot do.

Not to paint the bleakest picture :), the likelihood of uncompressed tracks being in vaults, is about 0. Given the ubiquity of "studios in a box" and access to everyone, proper professional recording, mixing and mastering is becoming (or has become) a lost art...

If the consumer audiophile industry wanted to really do something, demanding better recordings, mixes and masters is where we would see real audible sonic improvements. Sorry Arch, did not mean to single you out, just a PSA.

But it's also a question of how much compression/limiting is added and when. AFAIK, the Beatles at some point started running everything through a limiter b/c they liked the sound. But there was  generally still a good amount of dynamics left in the final master .

Compare the 67 Sgt. Pepper to the 2017 one. I love the new remaster, but it is a lot more volume compressed than the original. 

10 hours ago, miguelito said:

To be honest, this is a pretty weak reason. You could have the MQA filter implemented and fixed, and implement whatever other filters you would implement be completely separate from the MQA filter you have. I see no limitation here - and btw this is how it works in the dCS case, which is also an FPGA DAC.

When it was said above that it took dCS "thousands" of hours to implement their solution, how is this a weak reason? That seems like a pretty strong reason to me. dCS made a decision that they wanted to add MQA and found a way. PS Audio decided they didn't really like MQA anyway, so they didn't want to invest the initial and ongoing  resources (it isn't a once done, you never have to touch it again situation) to fully implement it. No different from several other manufacturers who've decided it isn't in their interest to make MQA certified DACs.

Every company has to decide what's best for it.