IGNORED

Article: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

22 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Is there any way to upsample a track and have it still illuminate the light?

im just thinking about ways unscrupulous people have sold music and things MQA says it prevents. 

If its possible to hack MQA into illuminating the light that’s one thing, but if standard nefarious methods can do the same, that’s a much larger issue  

Not a positive either way though. 

The blue light goes on if the top 16 bits match the cryptographic signature. That's probably difficult to fake. Let's say it's impossible. All that means is the file has been passed through a genuine MQA encoder with the right private keys. It says nothing about what the input actually was. If you send an upsampled file for encoding, you'll get back a signed MQA file claiming to originate from whatever fake sample rate you provided.

19 minutes ago, FredericV said:

Mansr can confirm or not if you can create fake 24/96 or 24/88.2 bit files with a pattern in the LSB bit of a simulated first unfold, that will trigger the blue light. I did not check those tools yet.

I have a tool to do just that. However, this gives a red or purple light, not blue or green. There is no cryptographic authentication at this stage.

9 minutes ago, FredericV said:

Does this mean that when a user has Tidal doing the first unfold, and then some MQA dac for the renderer, there's no longer a blue light shining on the MQA dac?

Right. If the DAC supports this at all, you'll get a red light. Mytek DACs do this. Some others, e.g. the Meridian Explorer2, do not.

9 minutes ago, FredericV said:

What I intend to test, is to mess with the 24/88.2 or 24/96 first unfold, leave the signalling bit intact, and flip or set bits in other parts.

There's no checking of the data bits here. This is how we obtained impulse responses for the Dragonfly and Mytek Brooklyn DACs.

1 hour ago, Doug Schneider said:

I thought the Mytek ones could...

Mytek can disable MQA decoding entirely, which unlocks the usual set of filters. With MQA decoding enabled, even non-MQA content is processed with an MQA filter.

14 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I am disheartened by the reaction on Stereophile, particularly Mr. Atkinson, as to Archimago and his pseudonym. I feel his reaction here, is one thing and then on Stereophile's site, it is another. 

I understand Archimago's reasoning about using the pseudonym. This is also a passion/hobby for him not his sole means of support. It seems since they cannot deflect, damage, or deny the science and thought behind the article, they def left and go after the author. This is telling.

It's also a well-known logical fallacy.

7 hours ago, ednaz said:

All that scientific fact about moving images (I was talking about stills) ignores what I see about MQA. People with great ears (I was a union card holding musician until I was 30) talk about how MQA has more reality in the sense of environment. Which, given the de-blurring techniques, and noise feedback... makes a lot of sense.

Detecting distortions... all those image print techniques are based on taking advantage of our perceptions. I think MQA takes advantage of our perceptions. Not reality. Brains hear. They function at a pretty damn low sample rate.

We know MQA messes with the phase of the signal. There are also hints at subtle EQ and trickery with the stereo spread. If you like those gimmicks, that's fine. Just don't foist them on everybody else. The noise MQA adds has nothing to do with perception. Most likely, the purpose is to mask the nasty artefacts of the MQA process, not from our ears, to which they are inaudible, but from measuring equipment.

7 hours ago, ednaz said:

Incidentally, I'm not talking about JPEG. Not even 100% JPG (although if you're willing to put up a big bunch of money I'll let you try to prove to me that you can ID JPG distortions.)

You might be surprised by the outcome. Luckily for you, I'm not going to put up "a big bunch of money" towards such a challenge.

7 hours ago, ednaz said:

And I suppose I'm assuming an ability to grasp analogies. I could well be wrong. Most of my work is based on cross domain analogies, but not everyone can do that.

That's getting dangerously close to an insult. Watch your step.

2 minutes ago, ednaz said:

"Watch your step." What kind of comment is that? Lovely.

Just a piece of friendly advice.

Not an insult at all, but a statement of fact. Most people don't do cross-analogy thinking very well. After 35 years of leading teams in neuro-science, computer code reverse engineering, photography, drug discovery, entity analytics, cryptography, human systems analysis, and more,

Jack of all trades, master of...

People claiming they can detect jpg vs other file captures remind me of people who say they can always tell lossy compressed music files from non-compressed.

I can do that too often enough. Countless hours of codec testing does that to you.

I can with a lot of music, but when you get Alabama Shakes running a DR of 3... can't any more. I think that may be part of what's going on in the MQA arguments, and is a variable I can't remember being explored.

Sorry, I lost your chain of thought.

Wouldn't it be interesting if, instead of challenging their hearing or expertise, someone tried to understand it?

We did. Successfully. That's what the article is all about. Did you read it?

3 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

Interesting posts on imaging. I will admit that I don't know much at all about digital photography, but from my reading of sampling and filtering, it appears that sinc-function filters - which are almost ubiquitous in digital audio - are sub-optimal for image processing. Is that correct?

No, that is not correct. The ideal interpolator is always the sinc function. In imaging, Lanczos is a commonly used approximation.

52 minutes ago, sullis02 said:

Audio with tons of added ultrasonic noise = RAW video?  Hmm.     What does 'RAW' actually mean in image formats  (given that every reproduction method has limits)?      

Raw (I have no idea why people write it in all caps) just means the raw data from the image sensor plus information about lens, flash, and various settings. To be useful, it must be processed in software.

1 minute ago, John_Atkinson said:

I have not yet read anything that would convince me to change my mind. Much of the most virulent criticism comes from non-technical people and where it comes from technically astute commentators, I have serious issues with much of what is written.

Really now?

1 hour ago, Doug Schneider said:

I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess -- it shows none of the filter artifacts typical of ADCs. That's just a guess. But if so, it's not a surprise because Hansen has stated for a long time that it has no filter.

It's a sigma-delta ADC. Of course it has a filter.

42 minutes ago, Doug Schneider said:

You are right, but I wish I could go back and talk to him more. And you know a lot more about A/D and D/A than most. But I swear in one of his conversations he was talking about a lack of a filter at 24/192. I will look more as he described this in pieces on AA, but here's part. But it's not everything.

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/16/167848.html

EDIT: As I said, above I could've sworn what he said on the phone about the filter. But I'm certainly OK to be corrected because in that above link he talks about the filter used at 2X and 4X conversion, so there's something there.

A sigma-delta ADC doesn't need an analogue anti-aliasing filter since the sample rate (typically 128x or more) is far higher than required by Nyquist for any audio signal. To produce a PCM output, at any sample rate, a digital low-pass filter must be used to remove the modulator noise. Presumably this ADC uses Ayre's signature slow roll-off minimum phase filters.

42 minutes ago, Doug Schneider said:

What he claims, though, remains the same -- that there are no timing issues to correct with the QA-9 Here's a little more:

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=critics&m=87523

I'd say no reasonable ADC has any timing issues. Here's a square wave with 5 ns rise time recorded at 192 kHz on a Tascam UH-7000:

uh-7000-step.thumb.png.05da6a0dca7ad956f39590629d800b08.png

Sure, there's a little overshoot and ringing, but real audio signals don't have such short rise times so it doesn't matter.

22 minutes ago, Doug Schneider said:

I should've been more specific. He was talking about anti-aliasing filters. And, yes, it makes sense from what I've read about that piece, it used their slow roll off filters.

Of course it's about anti-aliasing. That is the purpose of any filter in an ADC. In a sigma-delta ADC, the AA filter is digital. If you somehow managed to build a 22-bit flash ADC operating at 192 kHz or higher, you wouldn't need any filters at all. Unfortunately, that is highly unpractical, if at all possible. Although the audio signal has essentially no content above 100 kHz, the output of the sigma-delta stage does, in the form of modulator noise. For this reason, PCM output, even at 192 kHz, requires a digital anti-aliasing filter. Otherwise the audible range would be swamped in aliased modulator noise.

14 minutes ago, guymrob said:

Since SDM is basically a 1 bit converter (high bit-rate DSD), it requires noise shaping prior to decimation to Hi-Res PCM.

Not quite. SDM is noise shaping. Noise shaping, sigma-delta or otherwise, is a feedback loop around the quantiser. The noise can't be reshaped later, when the input signal is no longer known.

For instance, if the SDM ADC operates at 256x, noise shaping pushes virtually all the noise(depending on type of order; whether is 5th or 7th order modulator), the noise is pushed all the way to 176.4kHz, thereafter noise starts to increase. Since decimation happens not more than 176.4kHz, noise from SDM is virtually non-existent when it is converted to Hi-Res PCM, in this case 176.4kHz.

Right, and you need a filter to keep the noise from aliasing into the audible range.