IGNORED

Article: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

Thanks for translating for us non-math geeks. Even better, you made it understandable. 

cheers!

No problem! But I made it understandable only if my summary actually is accurate! Hopefully one of our more math expert colleagues will weigh in to say if I've gotten the basic idea right, or if I've completely mangled it. :)

1 hour ago, james45974 said:

Yes, but a no upside calculation for MQA or Stereophile is not necessarily neutral, there could be a downside, like to your reputation!

No disagreement there - especially given how big CA's readership/membership base is.

3 hours ago, sullis02 said:

Speaking of  'time domain performance' correction--  remember Plangent processing?  It "basically uses recovery of the bias tone off analog recordings to "realign" the audio to the state it was in while being tracked or mixed."   So I'd guess the time domain aberrations being corrected with PP (tape wow/flutter) are likely orders of magnitude worse than the ADC-based (non?)issues MQA is aiming at...but then again I don't really know what MQA is aiming at!  

http://audiophilereview.com/analog/plangent---a-better-way-to-transfer-analog-tape.html

For years I've been wishing there'd be a computer audio editor plugin for the Plangent Process.

4 hours ago, mansr said:

Right. The only restriction is that no multiple of half the sampling frequency may fall in the band of interest as these frequencies are impossible to capture unambiguously. If this is observed, reconstruction is as simple as applying a bandpass filter. As a special case, for sampling a modulated radio signal, it is ok for the carried frequency to be such a multiple since we only care about the deviations anyway. Needless to say, none of this is relevant for audio.

Thanks for the confirmation and further explanation!

I've bolded the last part of your comment, because in the TAS interview Stuart precisely makes the claim that this is relevant for audio, and that he's bringing the Good News to the us Philistines of the audiophile world. :)