IGNORED

Where are you guys buying Server 2016 from?

tboooe

Hi guys.  I am about ready to upgrade from Server 2012 R2 Essentials to Server 2016 Standard.  Just doing a quick search on the web I see a very wide range of prices ranging from $17 to $550.  Are the people selling licenses on Ebay legit?  For example here is one for $17.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-Server-2016-Standard-64bit-GENUINE-LICENSE-KEY-Sent-digitally/202164361176?epid=16012793647&hash=item2f11ef57d8:g:rkYAAOSwk1haGrVj

Any recommendations on where to purchase a legitimate Server 2016 license at a good price?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I bought a product key for $59.99 on edealonlineau for Windows 2016 standard, the key was activated by Microsoft and works fine. 

The key comes with a link to download the iso, although haven’t tried a server iso download from Microsoft directly.  The OS is working and gives the choice of a non GUI mode at install time.

The vendor is quite responsive to emails. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

4 minutes ago, One and a half said:

I bought a product key for $59.99 on edealonlineau for Windows 2016 standard, the key was activated by Microsoft and works fine. 

Thank you...I will check that out.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

4 hours ago, PunkRiot said:

Well, if you buy Windows Server for 60 USD then it is pirate copy. If you want genuine copy you can buy and download here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/windows-server-2016-standard/dg7gmgf0ds12/0005

But really, buying Windows server to use it as music player is waste of money. 

How can the key be pirated? Microsoft has gone to a lot of trouble to ensure authenticity, after all it needs every penny to prop up Bill Gates pension and philanthropy pursuits ?

8 minutes ago, One and a half said:

How can the key be pirated? Microsoft has gone to a lot of trouble to ensure authenticity, after all it needs every penny to prop up Bill Gates pension and philanthropy pursuits ?

Easy - the inexpensive keys are usually OEM's keys that the resellers pull out of the box. It is illegal to use them and can get your PC shut down. That is what happens with illegal keys and Win 10.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

I used the same vendor for Office 2016/7, the full suite, is activated now for at least 15 months. For Winserver 2016, updates are working painfully regularly. I guess I have to anticipate the day when Microsoft decides to suspend the Product Key, after it works out where it came from, and should have avoided the activation in the first place. Time will certainly tell.

Activation is one thing. If the product is legal is another. (no details on CA forum, but in short it is possible to activate the product without owning proper license). 

This is just for your awareness, you do not do any harm just by running one or two Windows Servers or Office at your home IMHO (however some legal departments might have different opinion).  

The issue is that you are paying for something that is not genuine to third party company and you can be sure that not even single penny from what you paid prop up Bill Gates pension and philanthropy pursuits. So in fact they cheated on you.

Another risk, and common practice, if you download the binaries from them, it could be already compromised with embedded malicious code. So another thing to be aware. 

From MSFT site:

"With the exception of Product Key Cards (PKC’s) distributed with COA’s, Microsoft does not distribute products keys as standalone products. If you see a listing on an auction site, online classified ad, or other online page advertising product keys for sale, it’s a good indication that the keys are likely stolen or counterfeit. If you were to purchase and use a stolen or counterfeit product key to activate Windows installed on your PC, the key may not work for activation, may already be in use on another PC, or it might be blocked from use later by Microsoft when the key is reported stolen. The best way to get everything you expect up front is to buy genuine Microsoft software preinstalled on a new PC or genuine Microsoft software from an authorized reseller."

And this is especially true if someone is selling the license at 1/20 of the price. 

If you want to be sure check here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/

PS. Windows 10 and Windows Server share the same kernel. Linux with ALSA is free. In my opinion running Windows Server as music player is overkill. If you believe it make sens, at least make sure you donate Bill Gates not some criminals. 

32 minutes ago, One and a half said:

There is less pain if I drive a 4 inch nail into my foot than install Linux. Been there, no thank you.

12 minutes ago, PunkRiot said:

:), oh I proposed that because I read 2018 is year of Linux on desktops. Again :) . 

Last year I compared Lubuntu against Server 2012 r2 Essentials and felt Server sounded better.  Perhaps I am totally nuts but I heard a difference.

Other components:

1 minute ago, PunkRiot said:

OK. @tboooe just do not buy W2016 server license for 17 USD :).

Thats some good advice right there!  Too good to be true for sure.

Other components:

On 2/28/2018 at 11:50 AM, One and a half said:

The key comes with a link to download the iso, although haven’t tried a server iso download from Microsoft directly.  The OS is working and gives the choice of a non GUI mode at install time.

The vendor is quite responsive to emails. 

Quick question on this...did you already have the ISO downloaded and installed from the Microsoft site and just entered the activation key you purchased?  Or did you use the ISO from edealonline?  The reason why I am asking is because I already have Server 2016 installed and running while I test it out and would prefer to not have to install again.

Other components:

44 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Quick question on this...did you already have the ISO downloaded and installed from the Microsoft site and just entered the activation key you purchased?  Or did you use the ISO from edealonline?  The reason why I am asking is because I already have Server 2016 installed and running while I test it out and would prefer to not have to install again.

I wouldn’t think the need to reinstall would be on the cards, just use the product key as is. 

The iso was downloaded from the vendor as the link was provided rather than fish through various dead ends at Microsoft.

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

I wouldn’t think the need to reinstall would be on the cards, just use the product key as is. 

The iso was downloaded from the vendor as the link was provided rather than fish through various dead ends at Microsoft.

Thank you...one last question..I noticed on the edealonline site there are multiple different prices for the Server 2016 standard ranging from $36-$60.  The descriptions all sound alike.  Do you know what the differences are between the various prices?

Other components:

10 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Do you know what the differences are between the various prices?

It probably just depends on the source of the license.  All fraudulent in a strict legal sense.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

55 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Thank you...one last question..I noticed on the edealonline site there are multiple different prices for the Server 2016 standard ranging from $36-$60.  The descriptions all sound alike.  Do you know what the differences are between the various prices?

Gee, didn't see the alternatives, just worked off the front page. I have no idea on the price differences, maybe the cheaper ones had a larger pool to derive the product keys from, best ask the vendor.

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help please :(

I bought a key

converted the eval copy of win server 2016 standard to retail (success)

it shows as windows server 2016 standard (not eval so it's retail now)

entered slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (success)

entered slmgr.vbs /ato  (got error 0x8007007B)

So I can't enter the activation key.

23 hours ago, billg said:

I need some help please :(

I bought a key

converted the eval copy of win server 2016 standard to retail (success)

it shows as windows server 2016 standard (not eval so it's retail now)

entered slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (success)

entered slmgr.vbs /ato  (got error 0x8007007B)

So I can't enter the activation key.

Did you install using the link provided with the license?

Other components:

Although one would hope that the good folk of this community would not attempt to use a license key inadvertently published in a post and subsequent reply, it would probably be a good idea to invite the mods here to remove the detail contained in recent submissions by billg and TubeMan. If that licence key is now out in the open, I doubt that it will work for much longer.

Well, maybe he thought someone would jump up and say: "The EU has been very very unfair with us, very unfair, and this key proves that I am right and no one other than me will be able to install it..."

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus