IGNORED

Hifi shows - Has the tide (or should that be Tidal!) turned?

BigAlMc

Oops - meant to post this in General and not in Servers.

Chris @The Computer Audiophile please feel free to move it if you want.

Thanks, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

Knowing   Chord DACS, the Qutest is probably well up to driving the  fancy stuff (as is the Mojo which I mostly use in my car).

If I didn't  have a far more expensive, though not necessarily better,  DAC already I would buy one today.

Recently Chord's main DAC competitor seems to be themselves.

(Though their expensive Poly   'networking attachment' for the Mojo seems a bit of a farce. Who's going to carry a 'network' about and for home use it hasn't even got an ethernet socket.)

Tell  the show site  to buy some nicer carpets.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Done. 

Thanks Chris. 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

I was at Bristol as well.

One of the major companies did not have Tidal.

When I questioned him he said that Tidal uses adaptive bit rates and as we were in a hotel he could start streaming at 16/44.1 but as more and more companies started streaming the bit rate would reduce as Tidal do not want delays in streaming.

Is this true or just an excuse?

6 hours ago, Spacehound said:

Tell  the show site  to buy some nicer carpets.

FYI:  There are entire websites devoted to hotel carpets.  :P   As long as they are reasonably clean, I don't care.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

24 minutes ago, George47 said:

When I questioned him he said that Tidal uses adaptive bit rates and as we were in a hotel he could start streaming at 16/44.1 but as more and more companies started streaming the bit rate would reduce as Tidal do not want delays in streaming.

It's an admission they were too cheap to buy a dedicated wired Ethernet connection for their booth. Tidal does stream in a variable bit rate, though in that situation the app might have done even worse and just stopped working completely at the most embarrassing moments — just as other apps slow or hang when too many people are on the same Wi-Fi — but that problem could have been eliminated or much reduced with a wired connection.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

1 hour ago, George47 said:

It’s a complete misunderstanding of how digital audio works. The audio will always be 16/44.1. Even Spotify and Pandora stream 16/44.1. Tidal will stream lossless FLAC if you set it to stream lossless FLAC. 

Whether the bit rate is 1411 or 500 kbps, Tidal lossless is lossless. 

P.S. I also don’t doubt it was a cost saving measure because audio show internet rates are usually hundreds of dollars per room. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The Darko site has a similar but different take on the unbalanced Chord Cutest DAC vs far more expensive components demo. 

"Coming down to earth (slightly). Chord’s £1200 Qutest was turning digits into music for a £21k amp and speaker combo (B&W 803s and Chord 3350). David supporting Goliath. With aplomb; digital really has changed system building rules."

https://darko.audio/2018/02/highlights-from-bristol-sound-vision-2018/