Sign in to follow this  
theotses

Supra 12m cable + HRT MusicStreamer II does't work

Rate this topic

Hello!

I have had my MusicStreamer II for some time connected to my laptop with a simple USB. After moving to a new apartment I had to buy a Supra 12m cable because my system is further away from where I sit with my laptop.

Despite the reassurances from the company that they have managed to create such a long cable that actually works, it doesn't work for me. When I connect it to my laptop I got a message saying that it is an unrecognised device.

Since I am pretty much a newbie I don't know what the problem could be. One guess that I have is that since the DAC is being powered by the USB, the Supra cable cannot provide enough power to it due to the length. Does it sounds logical? Anybody with any suggestions for possible fixes?

Thank you in advance.

I would try other USB port or connect the 12m Supra cable into powered USB hub.

8 hours ago, theotses said:

Hello!

I have had my MusicStreamer II for some time connected to my laptop with a simple USB. After moving to a new apartment I had to buy a Supra 12m cable because my system is further away from where I sit with my laptop.

Despite the reassurances from the company that they have managed to create such a long cable that actually works, it doesn't work for me. When I connect it to my laptop I got a message saying that it is an unrecognised device.

Since I am pretty much a newbie I don't know what the problem could be. One guess that I have is that since the DAC is being powered by the USB, the Supra cable cannot provide enough power to it due to the length. Does it sounds logical? Anybody with any suggestions for possible fixes?

Thank you in advance.

I do have a very long run Supra too and it is working perfectly for years already. In mine opinion It is one of the best cables on the market today, but there could be a defect in the cable. I would try the cable in an other situation, before judging the cable. If it is working fine somewhere else, you do have another problem.

5 minutes ago, jos said:

I do have a very long run Supra too and it is working perfectly for years already. In mine opinion It is one of the best cables on the market today, but there could be a defect in the cable. I would try the cable in an other situation, before judging the cable. If it is working fine somewhere else, you do have another problem.

I mean in a a more or less SIMILAR situation.

I bought a TP-Link USB hub. It didn't work when I connected the hub to the laptop and then the Supra cable to the DAC.

It worked though when I connected the Supra cable to the laptop, the Hub to the Supra cable and the DAC on the Hub. So I guess the problem is that such a long cable cannot provide enough amps to the DAC.

The sound quality is pretty good, although I guess that I have losses since the Hub is between the Supra cable and the DAC.

1 hour ago, theotses said:

I bought a TP-Link USB hub. It didn't work when I connected the hub to the laptop and then the Supra cable to the DAC.

It worked though when I connected the Supra cable to the laptop, the Hub to the Supra cable and the DAC on the Hub. So I guess the problem is that such a long cable cannot provide enough amps to the DAC.

The sound quality is pretty good, although I guess that I have losses since the Hub is between the Supra cable and the DAC.

As I told you, it should work perfectley. Also in my situation, so you should ask Supra for support, because you do have gurantee. I am sure they Will help you out! Just sent them a mail with Your problem, instead of buying an addtional device.

I'm glad you made this work.

Maybe the Supra reassurances apply to the audio signal sent over 12m to a self-powered DAC, not a mobile DAC which requires power from the source computer..

Claude

2 minutes ago, CatManDo said:

I'm glad you made this work.

Maybe the Supra reassurances apply to the audio signal sent over 12m to a self-powered DAC, not a mobile DAC which requires power from the source computer..

No, that is certainly not the case. It is an essential item for each USB cable to deliver data AND 5v power, because a lot of DAC's need 5v. to be functional. Sometimes for powering the DAC, sometimes just for handshaking.

I have a HRT Musicstreamer II+, and over the years have had handshake problems with some USB cables, and that's at 1m length.

So maybe your issue is not the Supra cable, but the HRT just cant handle that length.

3 minutes ago, ddetaey said:

The maximum supported length of an USB 2.0 cable is 5m.  Above that you cannot expect not to have issues.

See e.g. http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

Dirk

This is true for the old printer cables and some modern audio USB cables, but not for the SUPRA USB 2.0 cable which have excellent isolation (and the old cables didn't). I have a very long run too and it is working perfectly; one of the best cables on the market today. And they also gurantee that is is working fine on long distances, which they do. What-HiFi did give this cables 5 stars in the past.