IGNORED

How much disrespect is alllowed on Computer Audiophile?

1 minute ago, Allan F said:

Proof of why engineers should stick to physics and math.

I don't know, there are some amazing engineers in the audio field. Andrew Jones being one of the multitude out there.

As my wife says, everything comes down to math :D

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

13 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I don't know, there are some amazing engineers in the audio field. Andrew Jones being one of the multitude out there.

As my wife says, everything comes down to math :D

Of course there are. I meant that they should stick to physics and math and forget about feeble attempts at humour.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

35 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Of course there are. I meant that they should stick to physics and math and forget about feeble attempts at humour.

Some of the funniest science types I have met were engineers. Chem E's are usually hysterical, Civil E's not so much :D

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

25 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

Everything comes down to money.

NAH - I worked in the not for profit research area and we had a ball and it was fun (not much money but it was enjoyable). Not everything is about money, but money helps to pay bills, etc. I know people who are uncomfortable with people who have boatloads of money,. I don't think it really has to do with the money but, I am not a psychologist so I can't say for certain. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

35 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Some of the funniest science types I have met were engineers. Chem E's are usually hysterical, Civil E's not so much. :D

Among science types, perhaps. Among the general population, definitely not. :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

3 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Among science types, perhaps, Among the general population, definitely not. :)

Sure it can be. I mean Gary Larson was trained in microbiology before he did the Far Side comics - that man is FUNNY :D

It can happen.....

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Just now, botrytis said:

Sure it can be. I mean Gary Larson was trained in microbiology before he did the Far Side comics - that man is FUNNY :D

It can happen.....

Ever heard of "the exception that proves the rule"? :)

OK, so let's say we both had paid the same for our seats, and AA didn't yet have the assholeish policy of selling aisle seats for a surcharge.  Then if someone 7' tall asks for my seat, presumably I would have been the asshole if I had not given it to him.  It is hard for someone that tall to physically get into the seat, and my legs are so short I had to get a custom bike frame built, so under those circumstances I think it would be douchie of me to insist that I keep my seat, just because I got to it first.  Since the surcharge is being paid for by the organization that paid for my travel, it isn't too far from that.  

14 minutes ago, wgscott said:

OK, so let's say we both had paid the same for our seats, and AA didn't yet have the assholeish policy of selling aisle seats for a surcharge.  Then if someone 7' tall asks for my seat, presumably I would have been the asshole if I had not given it to him.  It is hard for someone that tall to physically get into the seat, and my legs are so short I had to get a custom bike frame built, so under those circumstances I think it would be douchie of me to insist that I keep my seat, just because I got to it first.  Since the surcharge is being paid for by the organization that paid for my travel, it isn't too far from that.  

Under those circumstances, dunno if you would necessarily be an asshole for not giving it to him, but you certainly would be a gentleman if you did. There are other reasons apart from long legs for desiring an aisle seat. And most people prefer not to sit in the middle, which is why those are always the last seats left.

3 hours ago, wgscott said:

So here is a conundrum:

Yesterday on a flight back home, as the plane was loading, I sat down in my aisle seat, and then got up when the occupant of the center seat shows up.  He looks at me and says "Can I have your seat?"  He is about 7 ft tall.  I'm about 5'9" with disproportionately short legs.  I wasn't too thrilled and pointed out that I paid an $36 to get that seat, hoping he would take the hint, but instead we got into a bit of an argument, with me suggesting the way to do this would be for him to have purchased an aisle seat, or one in the emergency exit row (which has loads of legroom) in advance, from American Airlines (who now shakes you down for additional charges for decent seats).  So we are both standing there and everyone else is getting pissed off, so I just sat in the middle seat, and he and his friends in the row ahead of us (who didn't feel compelled to sacrifice their seats) were suggesting I was being an asshole for objecting to his sense of entitlement, and I was pointing out that if we both had paid the same amount, rather than me forking over an extra $36 for the seat I no longer had, it wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

So, who was the asshole in this situation?

I would have told him to fuck off and sat back down in my seat.

No electron left behind.

15 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Next time he sits down in front of you at an expensive Broadway play, ask him if he would switch seats with you, or move all the way back to the last row so as not to obstruct the view.

2 hours ago, esldude said:

The tall dude was an asshole.  Minimum he should have coughed up the $36.  Even then I don't see that you would have been obligated to give him the seat.  But without him offering to pay black and white to me he was the asshole. 

I agree with Dennis. If it was me, and he offered to reimburse me the extra $36 that I paid for this seat, I would have given him the seat, but not accepted his money.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

58 minutes ago, rando said:

If the average sized American is forced to buy two seats to accomodate their girth I see no reason that the average height Dutch shouldn't do the same.  ;)

I hope that you aren't suggesting that your average U.S. citizen is a fat slob ? :o

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Joking aside.  The rules of adult conduct haven't changed along with shrinking seat sizes and growing regulations.  Women, children, the elderly, and the infirmed need to be catered to.  If you are physically too large to fit your breadth down the aisle, much less into the space between a seatback, the problem is larger than needing to buy a second ticket.  If you are an arrogant prick who got jumped up on booze and hard talk with your buddies in the bar before boarding a plane you deserve to be given a wake up call.

Punishing someone of slightly above average height is a crock.