IGNORED

How much disrespect is alllowed on Computer Audiophile?

On ‎2‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, Ralf11 said:

You could eat only fruits.  Plants produce fruits "in order" for animals to eat them,  and disperse their seeds (which pass unharmed thru the gutb and get a nice fertilizer deposit to help them get started).  Everybody benefits, aka Mutualism.

One thing for sure, is that a reply like this sure fits into the title of the thread, and is borderline acceptable (?)

Keep up the good work !

Enough borderline replies may see you finally become undone.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

32 minutes ago, sandyk said:

One thing for sure, is that a reply like this sure fits into the title of the thread, and is borderline acceptable (?)

Keep up the good work !

Enough borderline replies may see you finally become undone.

Alex,

Why bother when the solution is so simple:

Ignore.jpg

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

21 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Allan

I hate the idea of Ignore Lists, as occasionally these members will surprise you with a very worthwhile contribution.

They need to learn to not try and provoke or ridicule other members.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

36 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Allan

I hate the idea of Ignore Lists, as occasionally these members will surprise you with a very worthwhile contribution.

They need to learn to not try and provoke or ridicule other members.

Alex

Viewing responses to the posts of those on my List, I have yet to see even the slightest hint of a worthwhile contribution. These personalities are hard wired and they lack both the desire and the ability to learn how to change their antisocial behaviour. At least as far as the internet is concerned!

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

9 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole...

Something for some to remember before they start accusing others of misbehavior.

:D That sounds like something from "Confucius says"

excerpt from Assholes: A Theory by Aaron James:

"Our theory is simply this: a person counts as an asshole when, and only when, he systematically allows himself to enjoy special advantages in interpersonal relations out of an entrenched sense of entitlement that immunizes him against the complaints of other people. (Because assholes are by and large men, we use the masculine pronoun “he” advisedly. We will suggest that women can be assholes as well. For the time being, think of Ann Coulter. We consider the question of gender in detail in chapter 4. Our theory thus has three main parts. In interpersonal or cooperative relations, the asshole:

(1) allows himself to enjoy special advantages and does so systematically;

(2) does this out of an entrenched sense of entitlement; and

(3) is immunized by his sense of entitlement against the complaints of other people.

So, for example, the asshole is the person who habitually cuts in line. Or who frequently interrupts in a conversation. Or who weaves in and out of lanes in traffic. Or who persistently emphasizes another person’s faults. Or who is extremely sensitive to perceived slights while being oblivious to his crassness with others. An insensitive person—a mere “jerk”—might allow himself to so enjoy special advantages in such interpersonal relations. What distinguishes the asshole is the way he acts, the reasons that motivate him to act in an abusive and arrogant way. The asshole acts out of a firm sense that he is special, that the normal rules of conduct do not apply to him. He may not deliberately exploit interpersonal relations but simply remain willfully oblivious to normal expectations. Because the asshole sets himself apart from others, he feels entirely comfortable flouting accepted social conventions, almost as a way of life. Most important, he lives this way more or less out in the open. He stands unmoved when people indignantly glare or complain. He is “immunized” against anyone who speaks up, being quite confident that he has little need to respond to questions about whether the advantages he allows himself are acceptable and fair. Indeed, he will often himself feel indignant when questions about his conduct are raised. That, from his point of view, may show that he is not getting the respect he deserves."

1 hour ago, christopher3393 said:

excerpt from Assholes: A Theory by Aaron James

So here is a conundrum:

Yesterday on a flight back home, as the plane was loading, I sat down in my aisle seat, and then got up when the occupant of the center seat shows up.  He looks at me and says "Can I have your seat?"  He is about 7 ft tall.  I'm about 5'9" with disproportionately short legs.  I wasn't too thrilled and pointed out that I paid an $36 to get that seat, hoping he would take the hint, but instead we got into a bit of an argument, with me suggesting the way to do this would be for him to have purchased an aisle seat, or one in the emergency exit row (which has loads of legroom) in advance, from American Airlines (who now shakes you down for additional charges for decent seats).  So we are both standing there and everyone else is getting pissed off, so I just sat in the middle seat, and he and his friends in the row ahead of us (who didn't feel compelled to sacrifice their seats) were suggesting I was being an asshole for objecting to his sense of entitlement, and I was pointing out that if we both had paid the same amount, rather than me forking over an extra $36 for the seat I no longer had, it wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

So, who was the asshole in this situation?

37 minutes ago, wgscott said:

So, who was the asshole in this situation?

If he was about 7 feet tall, I don't think that I would want to call him an asshole to his face. But, If you paid $36 for the seat, he or his friends should have at least offered to pay you what you paid for the seat. IMO, that failure alone makes him and his friends assholes. And, if one of his friends had an aisle seat, that doubly makes them assholes. I don't suppose that calling for one of the host/hostesses might have resolved the situation in a more positive fashion for you. I can understand him feeling, justifiably or not, that the airline owed him an obligation to provide a seat that he could reasonably occupy, but not at your expense.

23 minutes ago, Allan F said:

If he was about 7 feet tall, I don't think that I would want to call him an asshole to his face. But, If you paid $36 for the seat, he or his friends should have at least offered to pay you what you paid for the seat. IMO, that failure alone makes him and his friends assholes.

it may be a good thing that, no matter how politely, Rule #5 was not invoked.  :)

IMO, sounds to me that you showed restraint, consideration and flexibility without being a doormat.  Besides an offer to pay, if the friends had isle seats, why didn't one offer to give him theirs? 

Wondering if he and his friends assumed it was obvious that 7' needed the isle seat much more than you did, so framed it as a "common sense" entitlement that required only a small sacrifice on your part? Doesn't make it right though, imo. Seems they were inconsiderate of you without even getting it at all.

Flying is a miserable experience compared to the days of Juan Trippe.  Trains can be even worse.  Physical and mental displacement from the online world is a piece of cake.  So long as you don't position yourself as an outright expert or evangelist.  Maddening as it can be to leave incorrect and sometimes potentially harmful words to be celebrated.  

It is hard to get across humor or subtleties on a forum. Our form of communication is auditory and visual. With visual I mean, a wink, a smile, some body language that says we are kidding around. On the other hard, words matter and how you say things do matter. On another audio forum, I belong to, we were discussing a very expensive pair of speakers. On gent said (paraphrasing here), 'That people who spend that kind of money are just showing off, do not understand the equipment and are vain. But, I am not disrespecting anyone'. HUH? Well, you wouldn't have wrote it, if you didn't believe it.

I can be very blunt, on forums. I just like to get a point across and move on.  Sometimes I think a little more care can be taken with what we write. 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

I am almost 7 foot tall and travelled to Europe in Coach seating every time. Generally, the airline would accommodate my needs. Lufthansa gave me the center five seats to myself so I could stretch out. Just because a person is tall does not entitled them to make you move. A flight attendant would have mediated the situation either by moving you or upgrade to First Class (which Delta did for me for over the pond)

9 minutes ago, botrytis said:

On another audio forum, I belong to, we were discussing a very expensive pair of speakers. On gent said (paraphrasing here), 'That people who spend that kind of money are just showing off, do not understand the equipment and are vain. But, I am not disrespecting anyone'. HUH? Well, you wouldn't have wrote it, if you didn't believe it.

I can be very blunt, on forums. I just like to get a point across and move on.  Sometimes I think a little more care can be taken with what we write. 

The insincere self- serving "non-apology" only pisses people off more. There is a diiference between being direct and to the point and being blunt. The dictionary defines blunt as "abrupt in address or manner". Adding a few softening words may take the edge off, although I can't claim to be concerned about that very often myself. :)

3 minutes ago, botrytis said:

It is hard to get across humor or subtleties on a forum. Our form of communication is auditory and visual. With visual I mean, a wink, a smile, some body language that says we are kidding around. On the other hard, words matter and how you say things do matter. On another audio forum, I belong to, we were discussing a very expensive pair of speakers. On gent said (paraphrasing here), 'That people who spend that kind of money are just showing off, do not understand the equipment and are vain. But, I am not disrespecting anyone'. HUH? Well, you wouldn't have wrote it, if you didn't believe it.

Thanks for your input. Because forums lack the visual and body language cues we use in communication, we use smiley emojis and (grin) to let our readers know we are making fun. The problem remains if either party is just having fun but the other is taking things TOO seriously.

1 minute ago, bigbob said:

Thanks for your input. Because forums lack the visual and body language cues we use in communication, we use smiley emojis and (grin) to let our readers know we are making fun. The problem remains if either party is just having fun but the other is taking things TOO seriously.

In face to face and/or on the phone (oft times), we can discern people's frame of mind. It is difficult to near impossible to do on a forum. I am as guilty as the next person about sticking my foot into one. I am trying to get better (notice 'TRYING :D ). 

I am also one who does more joke posts, on other forums. So maybe we all just need to relax, have a beer, and listen to some tunes. I know that gets me into a better mindset.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

16 minutes ago, bigbob said:

A flight attendant would have mediated the situation either by moving you or upgrade to First Class (which Delta did for me for over the pond)

I would amend that to suggest that a flight attendant may have mediated the situation. The term  "customer service", as it applies to many airlines today, is an oxymoron.

1 minute ago, Allan F said:

I would amend that to suggest that a flight attendant may have mediated the situation. The term  "customer service" is an oxymoron as it applies to many airlines today.

I haven't flown internationally since 2007--so in today's divisive world, my frame of reference is probably off. I know one time, I got the 'last seat' on a once-daily direct flight from Phoenix to Charlotte-- and curled myself into a near fetal position to get into a window seat. It was not something I would put on my worst enemy. I see news reports of violence erupting on planes, and wonder if it is really worth it.

1 minute ago, bigbob said:

I see news reports of violence erupting on planes, and wonder if it is really worth it.

Flying or resorting to violence? :)

2 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Flying or resorting to violence? :)

Well, both. I saw that video of the Asian man being dragged off a plane--his face bloodied by violence. Our society has become so polarized that I prefer to stay home and listen to tunes...