IGNORED

How much disrespect is alllowed on Computer Audiophile?

On 2/27/2018 at 7:51 PM, sandyk said:

Bill

Do you know if there are any further developments in the area of artificial meat ? 

Alex

McDonald's seems to be doing well! And then there are those gray loaves of a meat like substance that they slice for sandwiches at Arby's. 

JC

the problem arises in deciding what is a sentient animal

oysters, no

and my favorite when talking to vegans... rotifers - they don't realize they just killed millions of animals in the glass of water they just drank

and... since I just got back from a nice dinner of Quail - they are also out

56 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

the problem arises in deciding what is a sentient animal

oysters, no

and my favorite when talking to vegans... rotifers - they don't realize they just killed millions of animals in the glass of water they just drank

and... since I just got back from a nice dinner of Quail - they are also out

As a former farmer, I can assure you that farming vegetables in any kind of modern method, even organic, kills large numbers of insects, rodents, and birds. It's unavoidable.

If you want to have nothing die in order for you to eat - you are out of luck. You could minimize the number of casualties by growing all your own food and working 100% by hand. Not sure that is going to happen for many people. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

9 hours ago, beancounter said:

I just went through this on a faith based hobby forum; it was actually a moderator who started it, and I can't think of why beyond just base mean-spiritedness.  And they wonder why so many people join, then leave.  Sad, and disappointing.

And frustrating. Somebody attacks you, so you defend your position only to find that the same moderator that allowed the attack on you, kicks your rebuttal back to you insisting that you revise it, and by the time the moderator is happy with your response and lets it through, It has has no rebuttal worth and the conversation has moved on to the point where your response just looks petty. At that point you might as well move on too - to another forum.

George

10 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Catch and kill 8 to 10 possums during the wintertime.  Hang them out

until frost hits them, then skin and cut all meat from bone.  Grind

possum meat, adding red pepper, black pepper, sage and salt to taste.

Sack and hang in smokehouse until ready to eat.

- Recipe from "Bicentennial Louisiana," Published by Louisiana

Extension Homemakers Council, 1976.

Opossum is one of the greasiest, nastiest, gamiest meats that is considered edible! The grease is a very unappetizing yellow in color and it smells bad to boot! You couldn't add enough spices to make it palatable to me, but I understand why the elaborate preparation - anything to make it not taste like opossum!

George

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

McDonald's seems to be doing well! And then there are those gray loaves of a meat like substance that they slice for sandwiches at Arby's. 

JC

Yeah, Arby's roast beef never looked particularly appetizing. Good thing that it actually tastes more like roast beef than it looks. As far as I'm concerned, McDonalds is the bottom of the fast-food barrel. I'd have to be awfully hungry to eat anything there. I can take Arby's, Burger King, Long John Silver's, DQ, Der Wienerschnitzel, Wendy's and Popeyes, but I draw the line at McDonalds and KFC. At most of those places, there is always something that is at least palatable, but not those last two. NASTY! 

George

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

I guess that is the case for many people who have never lived on the land.

It would be nice though if all animals, including humans, were born as vegetarians.

Nice maybe but not practical. Predators exist to keep herbivores in check. Don't believe me? Look at what happened when some Aussie imported hares from England to provide hunting sport for him and his mates. In Oz, the bunnies had no natural enemies and they flourished to the point where it was an ecological disaster. They ended up having to kill millions of them in the, - was it the 1920s?

George

22 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Nice maybe but not practical

I am well aware of that George , and others who have said similar.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Nice maybe but not practical. Predators exist to keep herbivores in check. Don't believe me? Look at what happened when some Aussie imported hares from England to provide hunting sport for him and his mates. In Oz, the bunnies had no natural enemies and they flourished to the point where it was an ecological disaster. They ended up having to kill millions of them in the, - was it the 1920s?

Yep, the bunnies sure ruled the roost here for a while.  In the 50's or 60's a virus was released into their population called myxomatosis and sometime this century another virus was released but I cannot remember it's name, all in an effort to curb the population.  Herbivores without carnivores will strip the vegetation until it can be stripped no more.  Then a heap of them die of starvation, the survivors breed and the cycle repeats.  Just like humans throughout history:  we increase our population until the resources are gone; fight with the neighbours for their resources which reduces the population; then start the cycle again.

Other introduced species such as horses, dogs, foxes, cats, cane toads, pigs, camels, goats, deer, the good old house mouse as well as some variants of freshwater fish such as European carp and tilapia have all caused trouble somewhere or other.  They were released into an ecosystem that was not prepared for them and have caused tremendous havoc. 

You can make a decent dollar rounding up feral goats and selling them for slaughter.  The camels largely live in the deserts and are actually quite useful for the pastoralists out there because of a bacteria that they carry in their saliva and share with the cattle at watering points.  The pigs, dogs and cats are an awful scourge for native flora and fauna and the introduced fish dig up river banks causing massive erosion and either out-compete or eat the native fish. 

The cane toad could almost be the worst one of all because it secretes a poison (which it can also spit) that kills most animals when they have a chomp on a toad.  Of course the natives don't know this and when the cane toad marches into their area entire populations of snakes, lizards, small mammals, birds and who knows what else are killed by the humble toad.  They even kill the crocodiles!  

In the good old US of A we have two serious threats, Asian carp and feral wild pigs.  Both creeping up from the South.  Bag limits and restrictions on removal are fairly non-existent in most places so long as you follow regulations to report number taken, identify disease, and dispose of them properly.  

1 hour ago, bigbob said:

So they lull the crustacean into the water with Pink Floyd? That seems rather humane...

Pink Floyd's drummer, Nick Mason, loves Ferraris. Out of his collection of 43 cars, 27 of them are Ferraris, including a 60 million dollar 1962 Ferrari GTO! On the other hand, I wouldn't know a Pink Floyd song if I heard one. But anybody who loves Ferraris that much, certainly gets my vote of something! On the other hand, the idea of a lobster being "comfortably numb" is taking humane treatment of edible animals just a bit too far don't you think? I'm all for the humane slaughter of cattle, lambs, pigs etc. But a crustacean like a lobster is probably not even aware that it is alive, and is more akin to a cockroach than it is to a beef!

George

41 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Pink Floyd's drummer, Nick Mason, loves Ferraris. Out of his collection of 43 cars, 27 of them are Ferraris, including a 60 million dollar 1962 Ferrari GTO! On the other hand, I wouldn't know a Pink Floyd song if I heard one. But anybody who loves Ferraris that much, certainly gets my vote of something! On the other hand, the idea of a lobster being "comfortably numb" is taking humane treatment of edible animals just a bit too far don't you think? I'm all for the humane slaughter of cattle, lambs, pigs etc. But a crustacean like a lobster is probably not even aware that it is alive, and is more akin to a cockroach than it is to a beef!

Your wisdom is spot on, as per normal. The thing you might find interesting is the technical quality of the record. Perfection... either by the hand of Enzo Ferrari or Alan Parsons producing Dark Side of the Moon...seem to go hand in hand. Mr. Mason like Waters and Gilmore were perfection people. ( And I am not a Evangelical Floydhead, I appreciate production value of albums of no other interest.)

And on the topic of GTO you might sample the first cut of Thomas Dolby Aliens ate my Buick. Called ' the keys to your Ferrari.'. It is a 1964...

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

But a crustacean like a lobster is probably not even aware that it is alive, and is more akin to a cockroach than it is to a beef!

Apparently, there are differing views: Do lobsters feel pain?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I was visiting a friend in Florida and found four 'bugs' alive in the kitchen sink. Their tails were dispatched with a sharp cleaver, forthwith dipped in garlic difussed butter and cooked on a hot grill. Well worth the last four hours of driving for a 3am feast..

Anyone up for Rock lobster tails?

23 hours ago, rando said:

Life is life.  Give that a piece of thought next time you pull a plant out of the ground for the purpose of your own survival.  

You could eat only fruits.  Plants produce fruits "in order" for animals to eat them,  and disperse their seeds (which pass unharmed thru the gutb and get a nice fertilizer deposit to help them get started).  Everybody benefits, aka Mutualism.

17 hours ago, bigbob said:

I was visiting a friend in Florida and found four 'bugs' alive in the kitchen sink. Their tails were dispatched with a sharp cleaver, forthwith dipped in garlic difussed butter and cooked on a hot grill. Well worth the last four hours of driving for a 3am feast..

Anyone up for Rock lobster tails?

We catch them ever season.  Also known as the spiny lobsters

The Truth Is Out There

On 3/1/2018 at 6:25 PM, Ralf11 said:

You could eat only fruits.  Plants produce fruits "in order" for animals to eat them,  and disperse their seeds (which pass unharmed thru the gutb and get a nice fertilizer deposit to help them get started).  Everybody benefits, aka Mutualism.

I see what you did there...

No electron left behind.