IGNORED

Bricasti M1 > M5 > M12: Network Player - Member REVIEW - w/OEM Response from Brian Zolner President Bricasti

38 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

Let me know if you guys have any other questions or comments for Brian.

Thanks ."

Please ask him about the PCM and DSD specs for M1 via Ethernet Input.

Thanks

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

15 hours ago, dxc said:

Hi: 

I have a original Bricasti M1 with firmware 1.35. Currently playing from a Mac Mini with Audirvana. Am considering upgrading the Mac Mini for a Aurender N100H.

But now I'm interested in this Network player option in the M1. 

So I guess I could still use the Mac Mini(non modded) as a server. 

How is you set up with the Bricasti M1 with network option?

Would it be better to upgrade my M1 compared to upgrading my Mac Mini to an Aurender N100H?

Thanks

Exactly, that's what I would do.

I would get the Network player installed and honestly it is a lot better than a Aurender N100H. I think when set up it properly it is better than the W20 never mind the N100.

Also, when you send in for the Network Player I would recommend you splurge and get the Special Edition upgrade and software updated to 1 41.

Not sure if had the earlier addition digital power supply upgrade as well or not but if not you are in for a treat. This group of upgrades combined with Network player is great stuff and you will be amazed at how much of an upgrade it is.

If you are running a usb cable direct from your mac mini to your M1 this upgrade is going to blow your mind. I will not be a small upgrade. It will be a mind blowing, knock your socks off OMG type of upgrade. You will be very happy and all for less or around same as Aurender. 

Here is some of my advice and really it is based on the info I recently learned from others here on CA and it is also a bang for buck type of thing. You can always buy a Melco or Innuos ZENith MK II and be done with it but these idea's are here are for much improvement at minimum output of cash. Just some save money advise is all.   

You can use your Mac mini until you get a chance to upgrade that but you can upgrade there by getting one of the many power supply mods they offer for apple mini;s but it will work fine for now but I learned a bunch from the guys here on this CA Forum. 

Not sure if you are using a switch but those will help also when power with linear power supplies. Even a cheap and simple Netgear GS108 will be a help even with a cheap Breeze Audio China LPS. Cheap little adds that help. You can get another one of these supplies to power your router also.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Lifetime-Protection/dp/B00MPVR50A

Buy 2 of these: (1 for switch and 1 for router). You could even buy one of these to power the pc if you wanted to start cheap vs buying Uptone Audio JS-2 but I would recommend you buy the JS-2 because it has 2 rails. 1 for the PC and the other for the switch then you only need 1 Breeze china supply. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reference-STUDER900-15W-Regulated-Linear-Power-Supply-DC-5V-6V-7V-9V-12V-15V-24V/311894737501?hash=item489e60025d:g:~IIAAOSwceNZP4VL

The guys on here told me about a very reasonably priced pc upgrade option that was not expensive and was a huge upgrade.

Now the power supply itself was not cheap but reasonable for what it is and was worth it IMO. I bought the Uptone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply. 

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/js-2-linear-power-supply

My goal then was a lower powered PC set up so the whole thing could be powered by the JS-2 Linear Power Supply. There are other cheaper options but I went with this. (Low powered Intel Celeron J1900 Bay-trail processor, SSD, Metal Fanless case 8 ram and can be power by 12v LPS..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PC-HTPC-Fanless-Intel-Quad-Celeron-J1900-2-0-Ghz-128GB-SSD-8GB-RAM-DHL-P-P/261934979458?hash=item3cfc8a9982:g:XnUAAOSwbF1aR82h

This doesn't come with a license windows 10 so you can buy the key for cheap $10 and plug it in and you are good to go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WINDOWS-10-PRO-WIN-10-PROFESSIONAL-32-64-BIT-PRODUCT-KEY-FULL-DOWNLOAD-LINK/263508608084?hash=item3d5a564454:g:b1cAAOSw8bpahs8D

Then you buy Roon or JRiver. I have both - good to own both to see what you like better but there are others also but I have not used them,

Then buy AudioPhil Optimiser. This lets you strip down the window 10 and it is a huge help and makes it would great.

https://www.highend-audiopc.com/ao-order

Then buy Fidelizer 8.0. This sound great and is worth it IMO.

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/fidelizer-8-0-released-big-updates-and-big-offers-for-nimitra-nikola-with-jriver-support/

This is in my opinion is the very best sound you can get for as cheap as humanly possible. There maybe cheaper or even better ways but these were huge help to me so thought to share with you...

Upgrade / Purchase

- Upgrade M1 to SE

- Upgrade M1 Network player option

- Buy Breeze Audio 12v LPS for Router 

- Buy Netgear GS108 switch

- Buy Uptone Audio JS-2 LPS (2 rails to power PC 12v and Switch 12v)

- Buy Metal Fanless Mini PC Intel J1900, SSD, 8-Ram, 12v, Windows 10 no activation

- Buy $10 window license key 

- Buy Roon/JRiver

- Buy Audiophil Optimizer

- Buy Fidelizer 8.0 

Thought to give you a game plan that has worked great for me.

I have since bought upgraded switch and LPS, gone with Roon and store music files on separate server. Sound better than from internal SSD. Not sure what it just does. 

Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated Amplifier w/6H30DR NOS Tubes / SR Orange Fuses > Bricasti Design M1SE MDx DAC w/Network Card / Roon Endpoint > Focal Sopra 2 Loudspeakers >   Antipodes S40 (v5.2H Board / K30 Engine) Audio Server + Antipodes S60 HSL50 Hybrid Linear Power Supply (2-Rails) w/AfterDark Silver Reference Black River Series DC Cables Uptone Audio EtherRegen Network Switch / Re-clocker > AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10MHz Master Clock Sin wave 75ohm w/Mini Circuits BLP10.7+ BNC Filter > AfterDark Black River Carbon Fiber 75ohm BNC Master Clock Cable  > AfterDark Modernize LPS x2 12V (2-Rails) > Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 LPS (4) Rails  > Solid Tech ROS Reference Model 4 Audio Rack System  > SRA Ohio Class XLIsolation Platform Synergistic Research Tranquility Basik Isolation Platform Active w/MIG 2.0 Footers and Silver Tuning Bullet  > Solid Tech Small TT Isolation Platform (3-Shleves) Tara Labe: The One Power Cord 2.0M (5-Cables> Audience AU24se HP 1.0M AC Power Cable  > Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cables 4.0M Spades > Nordost Frey 2 XLR Interconnects 1.0M > High Fidelity Cables Reveal XLR Interconnects 5.0MAudioquest Vodka and Cardas Clear Ethernet RJ/E Cables  > Synergistic Research Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator Tower Mini w/ATM Red Tuning Module  > (15Synergistic Research HFT’s (6PS Audio Noise Harvesters;
 DESKTOP 2nd SystemDali Menuet Loudspeakers (Gloss Black) > Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier (2021)Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC > Singxer SU-2 USB Digital Interface > Antipodes S40/S60 Audio Server / Roon Core (Networked from Main system) >Apple iMac Retina 5k 27-Inch (2021) Roon Remote / USB AudioKanto S6 Desktop Speaker Stands > Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables 1.0M  Spades > Darwin Ascension Plus Silver Interconnects RCA 0.3M > Tara Labs The One AC Power Cord (2) > Zu Event MKI AC Power Cable 1.0M > Cardas Clear USB Cable 1.0M > Curious Cables USB Regen LinkBlack Cat Silver Star BNC S/PDIF Cable 1.0M > Synergistic Research Tesla QLS-6 Power Strip 

~ Fsmithjack            
 My Website  https://ctronicmusic.com/ 

Ypsilon  Bricasti  / Focal  Uptone Nordost / AfterDark / Solid Tech  

46AC9095-7EB4-4698-82FE-FC5E9E837893.png

17 minutes ago, matthias said:

Thanks

You got it! I will update you soon. Thanks 

Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated Amplifier w/6H30DR NOS Tubes / SR Orange Fuses > Bricasti Design M1SE MDx DAC w/Network Card / Roon Endpoint > Focal Sopra 2 Loudspeakers >   Antipodes S40 (v5.2H Board / K30 Engine) Audio Server + Antipodes S60 HSL50 Hybrid Linear Power Supply (2-Rails) w/AfterDark Silver Reference Black River Series DC Cables Uptone Audio EtherRegen Network Switch / Re-clocker > AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10MHz Master Clock Sin wave 75ohm w/Mini Circuits BLP10.7+ BNC Filter > AfterDark Black River Carbon Fiber 75ohm BNC Master Clock Cable  > AfterDark Modernize LPS x2 12V (2-Rails) > Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 LPS (4) Rails  > Solid Tech ROS Reference Model 4 Audio Rack System  > SRA Ohio Class XLIsolation Platform Synergistic Research Tranquility Basik Isolation Platform Active w/MIG 2.0 Footers and Silver Tuning Bullet  > Solid Tech Small TT Isolation Platform (3-Shleves) Tara Labe: The One Power Cord 2.0M (5-Cables> Audience AU24se HP 1.0M AC Power Cable  > Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cables 4.0M Spades > Nordost Frey 2 XLR Interconnects 1.0M > High Fidelity Cables Reveal XLR Interconnects 5.0MAudioquest Vodka and Cardas Clear Ethernet RJ/E Cables  > Synergistic Research Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator Tower Mini w/ATM Red Tuning Module  > (15Synergistic Research HFT’s (6PS Audio Noise Harvesters;
 DESKTOP 2nd SystemDali Menuet Loudspeakers (Gloss Black) > Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier (2021)Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC > Singxer SU-2 USB Digital Interface > Antipodes S40/S60 Audio Server / Roon Core (Networked from Main system) >Apple iMac Retina 5k 27-Inch (2021) Roon Remote / USB AudioKanto S6 Desktop Speaker Stands > Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables 1.0M  Spades > Darwin Ascension Plus Silver Interconnects RCA 0.3M > Tara Labs The One AC Power Cord (2) > Zu Event MKI AC Power Cable 1.0M > Cardas Clear USB Cable 1.0M > Curious Cables USB Regen LinkBlack Cat Silver Star BNC S/PDIF Cable 1.0M > Synergistic Research Tesla QLS-6 Power Strip 

~ Fsmithjack            

2 hours ago, matthias said:

Thanks

Brian Zolner just responded:

Same, DSD 128 and PCM 384"

~ Fsmithjack            

Hi fsmithjack. Thanks for you extended and thorough reply! My goal now is definately to get the Bricasti M1 upgraded with the network player. Live in Denmark, though, so a bit of a hassle to send it back to US and Bricasti, but will have to do it. 

Just sold my mac mini today, so will buy some kind of windows pc to run as music server. 

Is the Quad Celeron you linked to powerful enough? My mac mini was a Quad i7 with 16 gb ram and 512 gb SSD.

Does it matter which switch to use? I already have a Cisco SG 100-16 gigabit switch. Maybe only upgrade the power supply for it?

Oh, and will the network player for Bricasti M1 be Roon certified?

Thanks

11 minutes ago, dxc said:

Hi fsmithjack. Thanks for you extended and thorough reply! My goal now is definately to get the Bricasti M1 upgraded with the network player. Live in Denmark, though, so a bit of a hassle to send it back to US and Bricasti, but will have to do it. 

Just sold my mac mini today, so will buy some kind of windows pc to run as music server. 

Is the Quad Celeron you linked to powerful enough? My mac mini was a Quad i7 with 16 gb ram and 512 gb SSD.

Does it matter which switch to use? I already have a Cisco SG 100-16 gigabit switch. Maybe only upgrade the power supply for it?

Oh, and will the network player for Bricasti M1 be Roon certified?

Thanks

Should not be any different than the stand alone renderer:

http://www.bricasti.com/en/consumer/m5.php

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 3/11/2018 at 1:18 AM, matthias said:

Thanks,

am I right the DSD is via DoP?

Matt

Hey Matt, great questions.

Please see Brain's detailed answer on the very bottom. I hope this is helpful. Please anyone and everyone feel free to ask any questions you may have.  

Ok guys - I am sharing this on a couple of my other threads as well so please know this.

I am only doing this because so many great CA members helped me in the past and I want to return the favor and reach as many of them as I can. They get emails so sorry for duplicates to some of you :)

Many times I have read great info on this site about a product and/or a mod and that led to great growth in my own personal system. I appreciate those CA members for sharing.

Moreover, I personally place much more stock in feedback from other fellow CA members. Members that went ahead and spent their own money on a product verse a reviewer,  dealer or OEM. I find end user/owner feedback to be the most genuine and helpful. For this reason I am returning the favor.

Guys, I have a couple of products that are not real expensive and their performance has absolutely blown me away and trust me I am becoming a jaded A-phile so for me to be blown away is a big deal.   

I have no affiliation with Bricasti other than getting to know Brian as a customer and a fan of the products. 

I love how they do business. They don't leave their customers behind and come out with new models every couple years but instead just keep upgrading the current models. Bricasti and Ayre or two companies that are very loyal to their customers and as a customer I appreciate this approach. More should follow their lead.

The two products are:

- Bricasti Network Player (M1/M12 or M5 )

- The Linear Solution OCXO Switch and Linear Power Supply

Trust me this is a big deal!

This combo is an absolute game changer and is cheaper and better sounding than everything else out there on the market today!

Honestly guys, I have got to know Brian at Bricasti but only as a customer and a fan of his products like I stated earlier. I love his DAC as it changed my system like no other product but everyone knows he makes a killer DAC and the worlds best studio Reverb. 

This is different. The Bricasti Network Player (M1/M12 or M5 ) and The Linear Solution OCXO Switch and Linear Power Supply are right in the wheel house for us computer audio lovers.

I have a decent / pretty competent analogue front end and my computer audio wipes the floor with it. It was not that long ago when digital still could not compete with analogue but those days are long gone! 

The Network Player is a simple, well made, not over the top but still very high quality Ethernet based network player and I am telling you guys I have not heard a computer based audio product that sounds this good.

I am not making this statement lightly either. I have owned many great network players: Sonore, SOtM, Aurender, Auralic and Uptone's great power supplies and Regens but this is on a total other level.  

I can't get over it. My network player was installed in my M1SE DAC but Brian says it would most likely be impossible to tell the different between the M1/M12 and the M5 in a blind test. They are close. Yes the built in versions are supposed to be a bit better but if you don't already own a Bricasti then the M5 will be an incredible option for you.

I'm telling you this Bricasti Network Player (M1/M12 or M5 ) and The Linear Solution OCXO Switch and Linear Power Supply combo are absolute word beaters. Way better than the Aurender's or Lumins or the Rendu's and SOtM Ultra's.

I'm telling you I have owned or heard them all and as an owner not a dealer or OEM but as an end user and a fellow CA member I am telling you this combo are the ones to beat.

I am telling you. Buy the switch and then get a dealer loaner of the M5 and then you will log on here and say OMG he was right.

I mean its your money have a blast, I'm just telling you this combo is the best going at anywhere near the money. Sure you can buy a W20 and/or get the top of the line Antipods and I am not sure they will be better and you can get these under $3k

This comb will blow the doors off of everything out there anywhere near the money. Heck, it might be the best you can buy at any price? I sure have not heard better?

OK, maybe the full suite of SOtM Ultra's with 4 Power Supplies and either Mutec Ref 10 Clock or the new SOtM external clock will be better this combo but do you want to know what made me go away from this option?

It wasn't even the money at the $8,000 plus but it was the fact that I would need to spend thousands more on 50 ohm clock bnc cables. They said you can get the ones that only a few hundred too get you by but to get the best you need the top cables and they are thousands and I said - ok no thanks. Enough is enough

Moreover, It just got too be too not only much money but this tech is constantly changing and evolving so quickly. SOtM and Sonore have new models every year or two.

OK, yes lets talk about model changing quickly.

Bricasti doesn't change models. Ever... They just keep upgrading the ones they have so you will know for a fact that your investment is safe and that Brian will update this and you won't need to buy a new one in a year and a half. You can mail it back in and get it upgraded for a few hundred bucks. Sonore and SOtM can't afford to offer to this their customers but Bricasti sure as heck does. This has to matter. It sure as heck matters to me! I own Bricasti and this is no small part of that. 

What do you think SOtM will do in a year or year and a half? Do you think they will let you mail in your model and have it upgraded to current model? No they will come out with a new model so you need to sell your old one and buy a new one. That is just the way it. I am here as a fellow member telling you there is a better way and it sounds better to boot! How often in life to your get real win[wins. It is not that often I am sure. It isn't for me anyways. 

So what is this that I am I telling you?

I am telling you this is the very best sounding Network Player on the market. Hands down it just is! Bricasti know what the heck they are doing. I promise you this from a CA member to a CA member. Their gear sounds fantastic!

It will not become out dated because of how this company operates and is so loyal to its owners. The built quality is second to none, it is the best there is. CNC Milled aircraft solid block aluminum. Very similar power supply as used in the work class M1 and from a company that is one of the most prestigious digital brands in the world. Am is missing something here? Guys, I am serious.

I am not making any of this up. This can all be verified by you with a little research.

What i don't understand is how none of you guys or so few of you guys own these yet! I a going to assume because there have been so few members that have experienced what I have. Trust me the word is getting out. These are that good! They are actually even better than that.

Go get one and get one today and then come back to this thread and give me your thoughts,

Sell your rendu's and regens and plop it down on one of these and make sure you get the killer OCXO switch also. That is key with great synergy.

Now you don't need to do anything but I am sharing because the sound I have now is absolutely so much better than what I had in the near past.

The Bricasti Network Player (M1/M12 or M5 ) and The Linear Solution OCXO Switch and Linear Power Supply are crown jewels that few people know of. Well at least I know I did my bit by the CA members and old you about the cheapest and best sounding computer based audio that is on the market today. What you do is up to you but I still can not believe how good my system sounds.

Thanks for reading :)

$649.00

http://thelinearsolution.com/ocxo_switch.html

$2,400.00

http://www.bricasti.com/en/consumer/m5.php

Brain's answer to your question:

Yes sort of, DoP for DSD 64 requires 176.4k PCM 16bits to transfer the data, it is then reassembled in the M1 as a true 1 bit 2.8Mhz DSD ( just do the math and you will see it’s the same data, DSD is serial one bit and DoP divides into 16 data streams running a 1/16th the speed). 2 x DSD or DSD128 would require 2 x the PCM rate so 352.8k 16bits to transfer the data. So its not 384, ( that is a multiple of 48k, 96k and 192 etc) but 352.8 and DSD is a multiple of 44.1, 64 x 44.1,  this was done so that DSD can be more easily down sampled to CD release or create 88.2, 176.4 and 352.8 PCM.   DoP is a method of transfer not conversion to PCM."

"Anyways simple answer is you need to be able to transfer 352.8 PCM to do DSD 128 as DoP "

~ Fsmithjack            

@fsmithjack thank you.

I would like to power an USB-DAC from the USB output of the M5. The DAC needs 3W.

Please ask Brian if the M5 can deliver 3W minimum via the USB and about the quality of the output, for example whether it is regulated with low noise regulators, etc.

Thanks.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

16 minutes ago, matthias said:

@fsmithjack thank you.

I would like to power an USB-DAC from the USB output of the M5. The DAC needs 3W.

Please ask Brian if the M5 can deliver 3W minimum via the USB and about the quality of the output, for example whether it is regulated with low noise regulators, etc.

Thanks.

Matt

Uh, why don't you just write [email protected] and ask whatever you want?

Brian answers email.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

19 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

<Snip>

Guys, I have a couple of products that are not real expensive and their performance has absolutely blown me away and trust me I am becoming a jaded A-phile so for me to be blown away is a big deal.

The two products are:

Trust me this is a big deal!

This combo is an absolute game changer and is cheaper and better sounding than everything else out there on the market today

If there is a big difference by adding the Linear Solution OCXO Switch and Linear Power Supply in front of the M5, and the improvement is as you say (no need to keep telling us, three times :) ) is much as I have expected.

Essentially by using the switch it attenuates common mode noise on the Ethernet network. By reducing common mode noise the soundstage improves, and imaging has a sharper focus, very similar results for using USB fixers. Despite what @Miska says about no noise to worry about on Ethernet networks, far from it, an awareness to tackle noise should be a high priority.

For an experiment, can you replace the network cable from the switch to the M5 with a garden variety shielded Ethernet cable.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

4 hours ago, matthias said:

@fsmithjack thank you.

Thanks.

Matt

Hey Matt, thanks so much for contributing. 

Of course feel free to ask Bricasti or any OEM any questions you like but with your asking your questions here you memorialize them. With that you are not only helping grow the overall knowledge base of the Bricasti products for other CA forum members but you are also helping other members in the future that may have a similar question and now all they need to do is a quick search to get their answer because you took the time to contribute. Thats kind of  the main idea anyways. 

If you ask Bricasti outright you certainly get your question answered but this way you accomplish multiple things. You get your question answered and you to help other members and then of course others may chime in with new or better or different idea's and then it goes where it goes and if we are lucky we all end smarter and our systems improve as well.  

Not for nothing but that is sort of the idea of a forum. For folks with similar interest and ideas to share info. 

I started this thread because so many many CA members have gone way out of their way to help me and my system is so much better for it so I am looking to return the favor. I may help some people or may not but either way it is all good. 

Brian has been traveling a lot lately but when he settles in I will have him come on and respond to you guys directly if that is what the folks prefer.

In the mean time I put it out there and let anyone and everyone know if you have any questions to please let me know and I will get you the answers.

No one asked me but I put this out there and Matt I will get your question answered and if anyone else has any questions please ask away.

That is one of the reasons I started this thread and it seems to have helped a few people and with a little luck maybe I can help a few more so please ask away and again thanks for reading and contributing.

Thanks  

~ Fsmithjack            

On 2/23/2018 at 1:53 AM, fsmithjack said:

OCXO AUDIOPHILE SWITCH and LINEAR POWER SUPPLY

There is no point in having fancy clock in network switch, because the clock of network switch has no relation whatsoever to audio clocks. Network is just transferring packets on it's own independent pace.

Personally, I think audiophile switch is stupidest thing I have ever heard...

If you are streaming Tidal, how do you convince your ISP and all the networking gear on the way from cloud datacenters to your home to have fancy audiophile network cables and OCXO clocks!? :D For example my NAA would work just fine across the ocean over the internet, it has enough FIFO buffer for that.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Just now, Miska said:

There is no point in having fancy clock in network switch, because the clock of network switch has no relation whatsoever to audio clocks. Network is just transferring packets on it's own independent pace.

Personally, I think audiophile switch is stupidest thing I have ever heard...

Yes from what I read and the little I knew that is what I was thinking.

But then again this sounds exactly and I mean exactly the same as what they would say about AC Power cables. I held off on AC cables for years. There is just no measurable to scientific reason for these to improve your system.

But then I tried one. A really good one and man it made a very big difference and needless to say I have thousands invested in AC cables these days.

This is what I can do for you.

I can speak to you in facts. Not theory or idea;s or science but facts,

Let me tell you what the facts are.

The fact is this. I plugged it blew the top off my system. Blew it wide open. Now, hold on. I did this in only a handful of days after upgrading my Bricasti M1SE and getting the Ethernet network player installed so this was not done in a vacuum so the Network player obviously had a lot to do with this. This must be considered.

But, I listened to the Network player for about 4 or 5 days before so maybe it was also breaking in but honestly all I can tell you is this $649 investment was the single largest upgrade that I have ever made. This is a fact.

I can tell you this. I would love to hear someone else that has one because I can not believe how darn good it was.

Any of you guys upgrade the regular Regen to the ISO Regen. That was a nice little upgrade. This is a 1,000 times better than that but I understand some people are going to decide without hearing it that it is no good. I  understand and respect your right to so but I would love for someone like you to try it and then be like WTF - how does this sound so good? I don't know either, all  I know is how much better my system sounds. This is a fact :)  

~ Fsmithjack            

5 hours ago, matthias said:

@fsmithjack thank you.

Thanks.

Matt

Hey Matt,

Here is Brian's response:

Yes, we can power the USB great, all linear power direct off our power supply, no problem at all, well-regulated all analog and managed in the M5 "

Thanks again Matt

~ Fsmithjack            

30 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

But, I listened to the Network player for about 4 or 5 days before so maybe it was also breaking in but honestly all I can tell you is this $649 investment was the single largest upgrade that I have ever made. This is a fact.

Then the network player needs some fixing because there's something wrong with it. I hope you are not also using those shielded STP audiophile network cables that completely void the very important galvanic isolation function that ethernet can offer...

For me, that audiophile switch has couple of problems: not enough ports, no SFC slots for optical ethernet, unmanaged (so no VLANs), external PSU, no mention about support for important specs like 802.3x, 802.3az, 802.1p... And if I guess correctly, it uses some really cheap switch chip from Realtek or similar. And last but not least, wrong supply voltage, we have 230V here. ;) Why didn't they build in the PSU? Why external box? They could have put box in a box if isolation is what they are after...

P.S. I can understand that power cables can make difference whey they are entangled in the same mess with line level cables behind the device rack...

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

If there is a big difference by adding the Linear Solution OCXO Switch and Linear Power Supply in front of the M5, and the improvement is as you say (no need to keep telling us, three times :) ) is much as I have expected.

Essentially by using the switch it attenuates common mode noise on the Ethernet network. By reducing common mode noise the soundstage improves, and imaging has a sharper focus, very similar results for using USB fixers. Despite what @Miska says about no noise to worry about on Ethernet networks, far from it, an awareness to tackle noise should be a high priority.

For an experiment, can you replace the network cable from the switch to the M5 with a garden variety shielded Ethernet cable.

Hello and thanks,

Yes I can and will try that.

Also, not to confuse things but my Bricasti Network Player was installed in my M1 so I don't have the M5 but rather the M1SE with internal Network Player.

Brian says it would probably be impossible to tell the difference between a M5 feeding an M1 verse the M1 having it directly installed inside of it but for the record he does say the M1 or M12 is a little better than the M5 for whatever that is worth. Just wanted to clarify that. 

OK so I have Audioquest Vodka RJ/E cable going from my FiOs router to OCXO switch and Audioquest Vodka going from PC to OCXO switch and a Cardas Clear RJ/E going from OCXO switch to Bricasti Ethernet Network Player.

Do you want me to replace my Cardas Clear RJ/E cable going from my OCXO switch to my Bricasti? Just want to confirm? Thanks 

~ Fsmithjack            

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

And that will destroy the ethernet's galvanic isolation capability... So you have the primary USB problem back. Stick to UTP cables if you want to retain that capability...

If you are worried, use optical ethernet.

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Then the network player needs some fixing because there's something wrong with it. I hope you are not also using those shielded STP audiophile network cables that completely void the very important galvanic isolation function that ethernet can offer...

For me, that audiophile switch has couple of problems: not enough ports, no SFC slots for optical ethernet, unmanaged (so no VLANs), external PSU, no mention about support for important specs like 802.3x, 802.3az, 802.1p... And if I guess correctly, it uses some really cheap switch chip from Realtek or similar. And last but not least, wrong supply voltage, we have 230V here. ;) Why didn't they build in the PSU? Why external box? They could have put box in a box if isolation is what they are after...

No my Bricasti works perfect and sounds fantastic. The best it has ever sounded so I have no idea why you would  say it needs fixing or it is broken? There is nothing wrong with it at all? Why do you say that?

Cables, do you mean RJ/E cable or DC cables or AC power cables?

- Cardas Clear and Audioquest Vodka are my Ethernet cables

- DC cables are by Ghent (Canare cable w/Oyaide connectors)

- AC Cables: Verastarr Grand Illusion II, Elrod EPS-2 Signature, Nordost Heimdall 2, Zu Event MK 1,

- PS Audio P10 Power Plant w/Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) outlets  

On the other stuff. Sorry, way over my head. I don't even know what that stuff means but I will share with the designer and get answers to any questions you may have. Sorry, you know way more than me but what I do know is how things sound. Maybe not how they work but for how they sound. Yup that's me :)

I am sharing your concerns with designer and will get back you as quick as I can. 

Thank you for contributing 

~ Fsmithjack            

7 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

No my Bricasti works perfect and sounds fantastic. The best it has ever sounded so I have no idea why you would  say it needs fixing or it is broken? There is nothing wrong with it at all? Why do you say that?

If it needs audiophile network switch, then there's clearly something wrong with it... It is not supposed to make any difference.

Let's put it this way, manufacturer of that network device should then design it so, that it has equivalent of that "audiophile network switch" hidden inside. So that it doesn't need one to perform up to full specifications. Or are you trying to say that chaining two audiophile switches would be better? How many you would need before it doesn't make anymore difference? Then build all those into the same box until you can use normal networking gear outside of the box.

I have 6 smart switches and three WiFi access points running my home network at the moment. And absolutely no problem with sound quality regarding ethernet (or WiFi for that matter).

14 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

- Cardas Clear and Audioquest Vodka are my Ethernet cables

Both of these have the typical problem, you don't get the galvanic isolation ethernet would normally provide with these cables... So you bring one of the main problems of USB back with these.

I use standard UTP cables, you recognize from fully plastic connectors:

IMG_20180214_104351-s.thumb.jpg.ffc6da5ea37bc194d867af8be37d3127.jpg

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Both of these have the typical problem, you don't get the galvanic isolation ethernet would normally provide with these cables... So you bring one of the main problems of USB back with these.

Oh ok - I thought they were half decent cables. What should I get to replace these? If I can make my system even better then I'm all in. Thanks 

~ Fsmithjack            

4 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

Oh ok - I thought they were half decent cables. What should I get to replace these? If I can make my system even better then I'm all in. Thanks 

Standard CAT6 UTP cables, 2m piece usually costs around 10€.

(your usual computer shop will have those available)