IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR4 PSU

1 minute ago, sahmen said:

I am a bit confused about the language about ordering "the next size up," since the word "size" seems to refer to going from a small size fuse (5 X 20mm) to a large size one (6.3 X 32), which does not sound right. I am assuming then that you guys are speaking of going from say 1A to 1.25A in amperage ratings, in which case size refers to "amperage rating"... Correct?

You are correct.  We are referring to the amperage rating.  Sorry for not being more clear.

2 minutes ago, sahmen said:

So the point of going higher up in amperage ratings was to minimize the risk of blowing the fuse rather than improving its SQ performance? Okay got it,

Correct, we're trying to minimize the risk of blowing a fuse.  The higher amperage rating has no effect on SQ.  (After I blew the second blue fuse, I asked Synergistic Research about getting a free replacement.  They happily complied with my request.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

can I use SR4 9v to charge ultraRendu, the manual said 6-9v, but 9v is not recommended ..

thanks

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

5 minutes ago, mitch751 said:

can I use SR4 9v to charge ultraRendu, the manual said 6-9v, but 9v is not recommended ..

thanks

The ultraRendu will run fine from 9V. It will just get a little hotter than at 7V, but nothing to worry about. As long as your DAC is not drawing a full 500mA of 5VBUS current from the ultraRendu's USB output you might not even notice.

[Because if for example the full USB2.0 spec limit of 500mA was drawn, the math (9V>5V drop is 4V, times 0.5A) shows an extra 2 watts of heat would be dissipated inside the case--in addition to whatever all the other linear regs of the ultraRendu will be dissipating.]

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Great to see some familiar names in this forum @austinpop@str-1@TheAttorney

I'm thinking of buying a PH PSU.  I currently own a couple of Sbooster Mkii powering my Chord Hugo 2 in desktop mode and my Mscaler.

I'm thinking that an SR4T or SR5T or an SR7 might provide a good jump in sound quality but am really struggling to get any idea from the internet.  Usually I can find good reports and comparisons but I'm at a loss:

Is the SR4T any improvement in the SR4?

Is the SR5 or SR5T a big improvement in the SR4 or SR4T?

I saw the audio bacon review but a few of you guys seem to have owned a few of these PSUs.

Any advice for one confused potential purchaser?  Happy for a PM if you'd prefer.

Thanks

Ade

I'm using an SR4T with my ER and it brought a very nice improvement in overall sound quality. I've read a few posts that say the Farad PS is better but I have no idea as I've only heard the SR4T. Good luck in your search.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

Update:  I ended up ordering an SR4T in a fixed 5V version (for an increased amp rating at 4amps constant) together with a copper DC cable (6amp rating).

I'm scheduled for delivery at the start of May.  I've also ordered a Synergistic Research Orange 1amp Slow Blow fuse.

I'm coming from an Sbooster MKii Ultra setup which delivers 0.8amps (constant) so we'll see what the additional 'ampage' and Paul Hynes design does for my setup.

Thanks for all your comments above btw.

Ade

🥴 Count me amazed.

I've just added a SR Orange mains (230v 13a) Fuse to my Stax Energiser.  How can a fuse change the sound so much?  I'm getting immediate improved separation (amongst other audible changes - speed/tightness of bass)  - it's obvious and noticeable and doesn't sound artificial.

The reason I'm posting here is that I'm also planning to get one for my SR4T when it arrives....  Was there any consensus on using this fuse?

21 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Have you got any comments from Paul Hynes about changing fuse on the SR4T ? (If ever discussed)

No.  Ive never spoken to him.  I wouldn't expect him to endorse or recommend anything which could cause a fault.

I'vechanged plenty of fuses and the fuse holder is placed to be easily accessible (see earlier posts from others - it just pops out of the IEC socket) without opening up the main chassis and I will use a like for like equivalent (1 amp slow blow rating).  I'm not concerned, if I don't like it I'll swap it back.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

There was a strong chemical smell... When I localized it, it appeared to be my Paul Hynes SR4T 5-12V that was powering a Pi2AES with 5VDC. The SR4T was much too hot to touch and remained so for 5 minutes after being disconnected. Luckily the Pi2AES is still working.

I opened  up the SR4T and this is what I found.

Beyond repair?

And what could be the cause?

Still that smell, with windows wide open...

image.thumb.png.2901342129e0e5b2ca8ddb212bcb8df9.png

audio system

That looks as if the transformer had a melt down...you should troubleshoot the circuitry it feeds as it looks like too much current was drawn for quite a period. I vote for a loose connection, or a component gave up..effectively creating a short circuit, which is where fuses come into play. Having a circuit diagram makes troubleshooting easier.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps.