IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR4 PSU

On 9/18/2018 at 11:25 PM, str-1 said:

Looks like Mscaler takes the larger pin hole in the 5.5mm plug.  All my power supplies (incl. SR4) have leads with the smaller pin hole plugs.  I imagine using adapters would take the edge off any performance improvement

Here's a confirmation from Rob in HeadFi that M Scaler needs a plug with a size 5.5mm*2.5mm plug 

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-m-scaler-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.885042/page-96#post-14501921

Maybe you have 2.1mm size if I'm right.

56 minutes ago, beautiful music said:

Maybe you have 2.1mm size if I'm right.

I believe so.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

8 hours ago, austinpop said:

does spending on a good power cable for the SR-4 result in an SQ improvement? Absolutely. Jay's finding was spot on.

Isn't a better DC lead more important than a better AC cord?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

FYI - here's a tried and true way to boost the performance of SR7 (and maybe SR4 too)

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?page=271&tab=comments#comment-788728

On 2/27/2018 at 11:37 PM, dgarretson said:

That was my post on Audiogon post regarding DIY thick .999 dead soft silver DC cables on SR7.  Since then I have made some 10awg pure silver AC power cords as well, and am surprised how much better they sound on the SR7 than the several Synergistics and Furutech PCs I have on hand.  I would have guessed that the superb Hynes SR7 would benefit little from a fancy PC, but this is not the case.  

Then I also added the links to get those 10AWG wires afterwards

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?page=271&tab=comments#comment-788780

99.99% pure silver @ 12AWG

http://ccsilver.com/silver/superfines.html

99.9% pure silver @ 6AWG

https://www.riogrande.com/product/999-fine-silver-round-wire-dead-soft/105310gp

6 minutes ago, feelingears said:

I now consider cables components unto themselves because for better or worse, I can hear them. What this means is that my “sense of balance” is no longer offset by the cost of the component attached to a cable.

Interesting viewpoint. I think it has merit.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:59 AM, greenleo said:

Hi Paul,

I've sent you emails in the past 3 days in order to buy an SR4 but get no reply so far.  Anything wrong?

18 hours ago, paulhynes said:

Yes, it is about time for an update.

I am behind with my estimated schedule for the outstanding custom builds for various reasons. Over the last few months the health support systems I had in place for two of my family members collapsed and I have had to make a number of trips off island to get this sorted out and to transport them for health assessments and appointments. The National Health Service is currently in a sorry state at present being undermanned and under funded. Hopefully this in now settled again for the time being although health appointments will be necessary from time to time for monitoring purposes.

There have also been a number of business trips off island that took longer than usual and of course the Easter and Summer holidays.

There has been a trend of re-specification for outstanding orders to allow compatibility with new developments in the computer audio sector, and a number of order cancellation transfers to deal with which all takes time to sort out and it also causes delays with the orders.

The working conditions at home reached saturation point with two of us working in a rather small space stacked high with equipment, transformers, chassis, components etc. Vying for space to work had become a big issue. Also we need to create disabled facilities at home and the rooms I currently use for work will shortly no longer be available because of this. So I planned to move the business into new premises with plenty of work and office space (approx 8 times the current space), which I scheduled for takeover the first week in September. Unfortunately the move has been delayed because the owner of the premises was unable to get tradesmen in for general repairs and decorating before the move so it has been postponed until 5th November. There is a lot of stuff to move and it will take some time for an orderly preparation during the week before the move and dealing with workshop and office installation the week after. Unfortunately there will be no production work during this time. The priority will be to get the production area functional as soon as possible.

My technical computer died screaming during a backup last week when the ATX power supply exploded. I was sat next to it at the time, which was pretty scary. I have replacement equipment ordered to rebuild it. I do hope the hard drives have survived, as it will be tedious and time consuming to have to re-install everything onto new hard drives.

All of the above has caused considerable disruption with my work on the custom build outstanding orders with little happening over the last two months. Once we have the new premises up and running we should be able to work more efficiently than of late and my primary aim will be to get up to speed with my work schedule again. With so much happening recently I have been a little disorganised with the admin for which I apologise.

This week I should be shipping out custom orders 15 and 16. Order 17 has been temporarily delayed due to a re-specification so I will start on order 18 as soon as the new workshop is functional.

this is from the SR7 thread, hope it helps

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...