IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR4 PSU

20 hours ago, sockpit said:

No you don’t want to ever go there.  Just keep it to yourself, and remember that no one ever claims that burn-in made their stuff sound worse.  That would suggest a surprising correlation between physics (in so far as something physical is taking place) and human aesthetic perception, which is itself a very complicated matter.  

No I certainly don't want to go there again having already raised the question once over on the Naim forum. :S

So far after two weeks what I can confirm is that the SR4 sounds more dense than my old CIAudio unit. Bass has more impact as well. There might be a difference in the rest of the spectrum as well but I'd need to do a lot of plugging/unplugging to be sure and I don't have the time for now. I might get around to that in a few months when I move into my new premises.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jiffi32 said:

My SR4 had been dispatched today. Just received tracking no.

How long is this from you placing your order?  (I am tempted by the SR4 myself)

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Hello Confused,

The SR4 is produced in batches of 10 each month by my assistant, with the production scheduled for the last week in each month. Shipping is usually the following week after the two-day soak test although the March batch was a few days behind due to the Easter Holidays. There are still a couple of units available on the April batch, which should ship the first week in May. Once these are allotted to customers the next batch available will be the end of May production.

Regards

Paul

Design and manufacture of high performance power supplies

3 hours ago, Confused said:

How long is this from you placing your order?  (I am tempted by the SR4 myself)

Hi Confused, I placed my order at the beginning of March, and Paul has kept in touch all the way through.

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

5 hours ago, Chiswickian said:

Jiffi32.  Same here.  Thanks for the update.  I'm going to be using mine to power my new Chord Qutest DAC.  How about you?

Mine will be powering an Ultrarendu and will be replacing a LPS-1 

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

Hi Jiffi32,

The sunshine has gone away again and now it is back to wall to wall grey skies with gales.

Hi Simon,

The SR4 uses a precision stepped attenuator with 4 settings to set the output voltage. These resistors can be specified for different voltage ranges which together with a mains transformer selected to suit the voltage range allows alternative voltage settings. The stepped attenuator voltage range span should be restricted to avoid over heating on the lowest voltage settings. A 7 volt span works well on the standard SR4-12.

I can change the mains transformer and fit resistors that will give output voltage settings of  9v, 12v, 15v and 18v for you but I would suggest limiting the load current to 1.5A continuous on the 9v setting due to the finite thermal capability of the SR4 chassis. 2A continuous will still be available on the 12v, 15v and 18v settings.

I can also provide an SR4 with voltage settings of 1v2, 1v5, 1v8 and 2v5 with a 3A continuous and 20A transient current rating for those wishing to experiment with separate power supplies for RAM.

Regards

Paul

Design and manufacture of high performance power supplies

On 28.2.2018 at 6:06 PM, yellowblue said:

I wrote Paul and wanted to order a SR4. He answered within minutes. The SR4 cost 330 pounds but shipping to Sweden was 92 pounds plus extra 20 pounds for insurance. He pointed out that the weight of the SR4 exceeds the Royal Mail International small packet limit of 2kg. So UPS was the only option (he didn´t know that when he send the SR4 to Octaviars)

Have a look here:

https://www.worldwide-parcelservices.co.uk/

Much better rates.....

3 hours ago, paulhynes said:

I can also provide an SR4 with voltage settings of 1v2, 1v5, 1v8 and 2v5 with a 3A continuous and 20A transient current rating for those wishing to experiment with separate power supplies for RAM.

What does 1v2, 1v5, etc mean?  Most DDR4 memory I'm familiar with uses 1.2v or 1.35v maxing out at 1.5v.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's