IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR4 PSU

17 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well very low output impedance (over a wide bandwidth) from a power supply is always a benefit to digital devices.  And despite our having $70 (our cost per board even at 500 unit runs) in ultra-ultra-low-noise/ultra-low-impedance regs and power networks on each EtherREGEN, a find power supply still helps a little.  Not much mystery there. B|

Also, here is a quote from John's answer to a similar question that Rajiv posed in an e-mail. Not specific to the EtherREGEN, so not included in our paper.  But quite germane to your question:

It IS eventually jitter related, but is different from what I talked about with DATA issues. When the digital circuits do their things they draw current from the supply, how much and for how long varies a LOT. If the entire power network cannot properly supply the current the load wants, the voltage on the positive supply rail (note it is NOT the ground plane this time) will sag thus changing the thresholds in circuits, thus causing timing changes (jitter). The lower the output impedance, the smaller these changes are and the less the jitter related to power supplies.

Note this is dynamic impedance, which contains how fast the power network can deliver charge, but also how long it can deliver it for. A lot of power supplies have a "bump" in the impedance curve, they can rapidly supply changing loads, but they can't maintain it for longer periods. This is cause by properly balanced capacitance and inductance for high speed response, but the capacitance is not high enough to maintain the extra load for long, it needs to be "recharged" by current from the AC mains section. In a lot of designs this cannot respond fast enough to keep the capacitors charged up when high current load increases occur. After awhile the AC mains section "catches up" and can supply the needed current, but there is a period of time when the charge in the capacitors is being depleted and not being recharged fast enough.

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

I'm trying to figure out which power supply I'd like to purchase for my ER.

I got this response by Superdad from the EtherREGEN write-up. I’m glad he shared such great info here, but it may adversely be the reason why the LPS1.2 is not the obvious choice to power the demanding ER. The Paul Hynes SR4 (especially the new T version) might be the sweet spot because of the higher output, and PH is well regarded for addressing the above.