IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR4 PSU

2 hours ago, Jiffi32 said:

My SR4 had been dispatched today. Just received tracking no.

How long is this from you placing your order?  (I am tempted by the SR4 myself)

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 3 months later...
56 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

A comprehensive review of the SR4 just in at audiobacon  here

Including comparisons to rival units, including the SR7 DR.

In short, he loves it (and the SR7)

Thanks for posting, it is a good read, with some interesting information.

I do have one issue with the article though, there are lots of comparisons with the SR7, which is "worth every penny".  OK, fair enough, but if I understand correctly, Paul Hynes is not taking orders for the SR7 anymore.

So if you are deciding between buying the SR4 or SR7, the fact that only the SR4 is available now might just be the deciding factor?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:23 PM, paulhynes said:

I am indeed negotiating with a CMC (contract manufacturing company) to take over production of key products. The company I have chosen can work to the highest standards. The first product will be the SR4. These are currently still being manufactured here in South Uist, but if the CMC can satisfy my build criteria, and maintain or exceed the current sound quality of the SR4, they will take over SR4 production.

I keep getting enquiries for SR7 products but I have closed the custom build service to new orders. However because of the interest in these SR7 products I have decided to reintroduce a limited range of SR7 with either standard construction or XL construction. The DR (double regulated) version will also be offered. These SR7 will be production engineered to suit automated assembly lines, but I am not planning to offer custom build options at this point in time.

Following on from successful SR4 production I will introduce the SR7 into CMC production later this year with a number of interesting products to follow.

A production SR7 is interesting.  Do you envisage that this would have the four position voltage selector similar to the SR4?  The SR7 with user selectable voltage settings would be a very compelling product.  I also presume that it would multiple outputs?

I guess what I am doing here is thinking what would be my ideal product. For me, this would be multiple outputs, each with user selectable voltage.  So something you could buy for your LPSU requirements now, but with the flexibility to power any future upgrades or reconfigurations in your system.  I am just thinking aloud here, I am not even sure such a configuration is possible.

Out of interest, is this how others would envisage a "standard construction" SR7?

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, rettib2001 said:

Out of interest, has anybody been in communication with Paul over the last month? 

The last couple of emails I've sent asking for a quick update regarding completion/delivery of an SR4 purchase from the November batch haven't had replies. 

I know he's got a lot going on in both his professional, and from what I gather, personal life but I wouldnt mind knowing what's going on. 

Cheers

I too am waiting for two SR4's from the November batch.  Not much of a consolation I know, but it is sometimes good to know it is not just you.  I had an email from Paul earlier in the month, he expects to be fully back on track with the SR4's in February, so it should be a relatively short wait from now.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Anyone know where your order would end up now (March, April, May, ...) if you would order today and which months batch SR4’s he is sending out right now (if any)?

I cannot answer the above question, but as a bit of a clue I can advise that I ordered my SR4's in early October, they were in the "end of November" batch, due for delivery early December.  I am still waiting .......

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Jiffi32 said:

@Confused have you received your November SR4's yet?

Almost!  I have received the tracking number,.  The tracking shows they should be delivered today.

4 hours ago, Jiffi32 said:

Woo Hoo!!

😁 Yes, it is indeed a bit of a woo hoo moment!  I ordered them in October, thinking they would be a nice Christmas gift to myself.  Five months later and they finally arrive.  Anyway, I am very much looking forward to trying them at the weekend.  Once they have had some time to settle in, I will post any listening impressions that I have versus the sPS-500 which is currently (accidental pun) powering my SOtM kit.

16 hours ago, greenleo said:

@Confused, burning the SR4 now?

I certainly hope not, they are still in their shipping boxes.🤐

Joking apart, I will be setting them up later this afternoon.

13 hours ago, greenleo said:

Confused,

Did you order the SR4 in early Oct or late Oct?

Mine were ordered 4th October.

I set my SR4's up at the weekend.  One issue that I had relates to space on my rack.  They are now in my rack, but currently the two SR-4's are stacked one on top of the other.  Does anyone know if this is an issue or not?  In time, I may be able to change things around and have the units side by side.  I am just not sure if it actually matters?  One point to note is that they do not seam to be running too hot, so I do not think cooling is an issue.  As an aside, they look quite nice stacked, so this aspect is definitely not an issue.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks to those who responded to my post regarding stacking the SR4's.  You have given me some good ideas as to how I can isolate / separate them to a degree without compromising my rack layout.

I sent a quick email to Paul Hynes to ask if stacking the SR4's is an issue.  I received a response almost immediately.  The following is an extract, which I think might be of interest to others:

In theory there could be some interaction between stacked power supplies 
but the transformer fields are low in my designs and they also do not 
appear to be particularly susceptible to micro phonic pickup.

I have never stacked my power supplies in my system as I have plenty of 
space in the system rack, and no one has reported any issues with 
stacking, so as you have cool running with your present equipment, I 
would say carry on with the current position. You could always 
experiment at a later date when time allows.