IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR4 PSU

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, paulhynes said:

Jay’s review of the SR4 and the LPS-1.2 was very thorough and actually quite informative about the relative differences between the two power supplies.

Of particular interest were the mains cord test results. It was obvious that the “never connected to the mains” technique of the LPS-1.2 was worthwhile as it was reducing the effect of mains cords to a very low level. Any residual differences he noticed were likely just due to stray coupling within and around the power supply. The energy required by the equipment the power supply energises, has the Ultracap bank as it’s ultimate energy source, and this would usually be much cleaner than the mains. This just left the overall performance of the power supply on display and this performance was certainly very good, even with a relatively low quality mains cord.

The reason I do not provide mains cords with the SR4 is that historically the vast majority of my customers have preferred to use their own favourite after market upgrade mains cords rather than a generic bog standard off the shelf mains lead. There would be no point in supplying a basic mains cord that would be unused. Jay was aware of this and it encouraged him to experiment with feeding the SR4 with different mains leads and he has reported his findings accordingly. He found that the performance of the SR4 using the low cost mains cord supplied with the LPS-1.2 was restricted by the mains cord quality. The fact that he was able to elevate the performance of the SR4 noticeably above that of the LPS-1.2 by selection of the mains cord is valuable and I see this as a useful upgrade path without having to purchase a new power supply. The overall cost is higher but so is the performance. This is a known upgrade path with mains connected equipment.

If customers are on a budget, and have no intention of further expenditure upgrading, then either of the two power supplies are valid choices, depending on personal presentation preferences. However for those wanting a relatively simple upgrade path via a mains cord upgrade, now or in the future, then the SR4 would allow this and Jay has provided some option information.

DC leads can also be upgraded to improve overall performance further.

Yes I agree that was a very interesting and comprehensive review of Jay’s.

Back when I first got the SR-4, I experimented with power cords. I found  that stepping up to even a modest $50 Pangea AC-14SE MkII gave me a very noticeable SQ boost. But I haven’t gone further.

Based on Jay’s review, I plan to try the experiment with a couple power cables in the $250-750 range I happen to have laying around, and will report back.

I will say that even on the LPS-1.2, using a $50 Pangea on the SMPS made a small improvement for me.

I’m at a point now where i “just say no” to stock power cords. I’ll start with a cheap Pangea and then make a per-component choice to spend more if the findings warrant.

Works for me!

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, internethandle said:

I know what you mean! It definitely was the hardest to open of that IEC inlet style of fuse holder that I've encountered. I eventually got it with a kitchen butter knife, although I think the right size of flat head screwdriver would also work, mine were just too large. I think it was so difficult because it has an unusually beefy cradle for the fuse inside the inlet that grips the fuse pretty tight.

Do you have to pry outward from the little tab facing the inlet cavity? And does the holder just slide out?

4 hours ago, internethandle said:

It did take enough force that the holder flew out and onto the floor when I got it open, so be a bit careful (not that there's much to damage).

Thanks for the picture. I did finally get it to pop out, with a similar flight onto a carpeted floor! I popped in an SR Orange fuse, and so far, like what I'm hearing.

• 10 months later...