IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR4 PSU

• 2 weeks later...

What's supposed to happen after burn in? Mine is two weeks old and there doesn't appear to be any noticeable difference.

Maybe there is but my human brain can't remember how it sounded out of the box.

Besides loudspeakers physically loosening up I always wondered how much of the perceived change is burn in and how much is our ears adapting.

But we don't want to go ''there'' (again) now do we?

20 hours ago, sockpit said:

No you don’t want to ever go there.  Just keep it to yourself, and remember that no one ever claims that burn-in made their stuff sound worse.  That would suggest a surprising correlation between physics (in so far as something physical is taking place) and human aesthetic perception, which is itself a very complicated matter.  

No I certainly don't want to go there again having already raised the question once over on the Naim forum. :S

So far after two weeks what I can confirm is that the SR4 sounds more dense than my old CIAudio unit. Bass has more impact as well. There might be a difference in the rest of the spectrum as well but I'd need to do a lot of plugging/unplugging to be sure and I don't have the time for now. I might get around to that in a few months when I move into my new premises.

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2018 at 6:04 AM, Chiswickian said:

STR-1.  You could be right.  I do notice an increased solidity to various aspects of the sound, so won't say that the SR-4 has had no positive impact and this could easily explain the effect I'm hearing.  It seems I actually liked some of that extra airiness, but will continue to let the SR-4 burn in suitably and then compare the effect of the power supplies again, as suggested by Paul H also.

I very much doubt I'd get rid of the SR-4 now, maybe just re-assign it to other duties if I do find, after burn in, that I prefer the sound of the stock Chord power supply.

I would tend to agree that the airiness I was experiencing with my CIAudio LPSU has been replaced by more weight and a fuller sound.

I think this is a classic trade off in audio components. It's like sugar and vinegar. The more you add of one the less you'll taste the other. It's up to you to decide if you like it sweet or sour or a bit of both.