IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

I received my second LPS 1.2 the other day. The first went on my IsoRegen and I still can't believe what a nice difference it has made. I truly think it kept getting better for 4-5 days. I put the second one on my UltraRendu and gave it a day of play time before I sat down to listen. WOW AGAIN!! It makes about the same bump in sound quality as the first one did. I'm excited every time I listen!  Digital has never been better!

1 hour ago, hifiveharry said:

I received my second LPS 1.2 the other day. The first went on my IsoRegen and I still can't believe what a nice difference it has made. I truly think it kept getting better for 4-5 days. I put the second one on my UltraRendu and gave it a day of play time before I sat down to listen. WOW AGAIN!! It makes about the same bump in sound quality as the first one did. I'm excited every time I listen!  Digital has never been better!

Did you first have the LPS-1 on the IsoRegen?  I am debating if I should get an LPS-1.2 for my IR.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I did have the LPS-1 on both the Ultra and the Iso and was so thrilled with the sound I was getting I really didn't want to change a thing. Curiosity got the best of me so I ordered a LPS 1.2 just because EVERYTHING I have ordered from UpTone has improved my system. I put it on the IsoRegen for a listen and was blown away! Ran to my computer and got in line for another LPS 1.2 to energize my UltraRendu. The Ultra reacted the exact same way with an equal gain in sound quality,  soundstage, and bass articulation! The cumulative effect of both pieces now powered by the LPS 1.2's is breathtaking! Every plucked string, bass whack, etc, becomes an event. Not in your face" look at me". Just more explosive with more substance thru the critical midrange. My system still has that " 13th row" cohesiveness to the music, but now has that " 4th row" jump factor that will have you laughing out loud when you hear it. Like Nike says, " Just do It".

25 minutes ago, hifiveharry said:

I did have the LPS-1 on both the Ultra and the Iso and was so thrilled with the sound I was getting I really didn't want to change a thing. Curiosity got the best of me so I ordered a LPS 1.2 just because EVERYTHING I have ordered from UpTone has improved my system. I put it on the IsoRegen for a listen and was blown away! Ran to my computer and got in line for another LPS 1.2 to energize my UltraRendu. The Ultra reacted the exact same way with an equal gain in sound quality,  soundstage, and bass articulation! The cumulative effect of both pieces now powered by the LPS 1.2's is breathtaking! Every plucked string, bass whack, etc, becomes an event. Not in your face" look at me". Just more explosive with more substance thru the critical midrange. My system still has that " 13th row" cohesiveness to the music, but now has that " 4th row" jump factor that will have you laughing out loud when you hear it. Like Nike says, " Just do It".

Thank you for the reply. Have you tried powering both the Ultra and IsoRegen from the same LPS-1.2?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I have an LPS-1.2 that registers over-current when I connect it to my SU-1 set at 5v but my other LPS-1.2 does not do this when connected tot he same SU-1. Both LPS-1.2s work with my ultraRendu at 7v. It sounds like its faulty and needs to be replaced unless there is some reason for this happening that I am missing. Anyone else have any ideas?

7 hours ago, oneguy said:

I have an LPS-1.2 that registers over-current when I connect it to my SU-1 set at 5v but my other LPS-1.2 does not do this when connected tot he same SU-1. Both LPS-1.2s work with my ultraRendu at 7v. It sounds like its faulty and needs to be replaced unless there is some reason for this happening that I am missing. Anyone else have any ideas?

That is strange since the SU-1 probably draws less current than an ultraRendu, and a given LPS-1.2 has the same current limit at all output voltages (each unit is certified to 1.1A, but actual overcurrent trio point will vary from about 1.11A to 1.19A).

So how about you contact me directly and send the unit in question back for bench testing?  If it acts strange in any way we will of course exchange it for you.

Thanks,

— Alex C.

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

That is strange since the SU-1 probably draws less current than an ultraRendu, and a given LPS-1.2 has the same current limit at all output voltages (each unit is certified to 1.1A, but actual overcurrent trio point will vary from about 1.11A to 1.19A).

So how about you contact me directly and send the unit in question back for bench testing?  If it acts strange in any way we will of course exchange it for you.

Thanks,

— Alex C.

Alex,

I’ll send you an email now. 

-Fred

Rated at 2A continuous but 20A transient, the Paul Hynes SR4 (@9V powering the LPS-1.2 @7V (likely against Paul's wishes) does combine the two PS's strengths. I get a listening experience with good (LPS 1-2) resolution and reduced 'digital stress' (SR4) when compared to just the smps/LPS-1.2 pairing. The SR4 is only warm to the touch. At 12V it hardly gets warm but I get a slightly 'harder' sound out of the combo!

SR4 @9V (cu DC lead)->LPS-1.2 @7V-->uRendu-->USPCB>NAIM DAC-V1

A custom 7.5V/4.8A/36W world-voltage-compatible tabletop SMPS for "energizing" the UltraCap™ LPS-1.2, along with a 45cm AC power cable (standard IEC plug one end, USA wall plug at the other—international buyers can cut and put a local plug on or just use any standard power cord

I copied this from the Uptone site. I thought I remember reading that this is supposed to be better than the ones that came with the ISO Regen and the standard Regen. 

Is this the case? Can it now be purchased independently without the LPS-1.2?

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, SWL3600 said:

A custom 7.5V/4.8A/36W world-voltage-compatible tabletop SMPS for "energizing" the UltraCap™ LPS-1.2, along with a 45cm AC power cable (standard IEC plug one end, USA wall plug at the other—international buyers can cut and put a local plug on or just use any standard power cord

I copied this from the Uptone site. I thought I remember reading that this is supposed to be better than the ones that came with the ISO Regen and the standard Regen. 

Is this the case? Can it now be purchased independently without the LPS-1.2?

It can indeed be ordered separately now:  https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uptone-branded-7-5v-4-8a-36w-smps-with-internal-ground-shunt

:D

17 minutes ago, SWL3600 said:

Also, if it is supposed to be better.....better how?

Aside from being a higher wattage unit (required to supply the expanded output voltage range of the new generation LPS-1.2) the new SMPS is internally "ground-shunted," so it does not output any high-impedance leakage.  

Our UltraCap supplies (both the LPS-1 and the LPS-1.2) completely block the path of low-impedance leakage, but because we use transistors (which have a few picoFarads each of capacitance) to alternate between ultracapacitor banks (instead of mechanical noisy relays), we discovered that some of a lesser-known form of AC leakage (high-impedance leakage) was able to pass through the UltraCap units.  It is easily dealt with by shunting the AC mains ground to the DC output zero-volt "ground," and John even passed along a DIY trick to do this.

But for the release of the LPS-1.2, the obvious thing to do was to include a supply that is already internally shunted.

[The LPS-1.2 also uses transistors with about 1/3rd the total capacitance, but really that is more of a belt-and-suspenders approach since the included UpTone-branded SMPS charger does not output any high-impedance leakage in the first place.]

My LPS 1.2 just arrived and I notice one odd  behavior that I don't understand.

I have it plugged in to a microRendu. I do not leave the power turned on over night. When I push the LPS power button it goes green. However the power lights on the microRendu do NOT light up, even if I wait a few minutes. To see the lights on the microRendu I need to unplug the LPS from the other device and plug it back in again. Then the two lights on the microRendu come on.

Is this normal? Does it indicate I have done something wrong? Thanks!