IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

Hi. This is a basic question but do you need to turn off the unit before switching the voltage. 

I'm comparing two devices, with different voltage requirements. I'm been turning off the LPS1.2 while I turn the dial for fear of damaging the unit. However, i need to go back and forth as quickly as possible, and turning it off means waiting for the caps to charge. 

I'll let Alex answer the direct question, but as someone that has generated the magic "Oh Shit!" white smoke one too many times, I've developed the discipline of checking the voltage of variable supplies with a multi-meter before plugging them into a new device.  There is definite risk to moving quickly when switching supply voltages and devices quickly!

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

18 minutes ago, edwardsean said:

Hi. This is a basic question but do you need to turn off the unit before switching the voltage. 

I'm comparing two devices, with different voltage requirements. I'm been turning off the LPS1.2 while I turn the dial for fear of damaging the unit. However, i need to go back and forth as quickly as possible, and turning it off means waiting for the caps to charge. 

Hi Edward:

Technically you do not have to power off the UltraCap unit before changing output voltage setting--though we prefer you do. But not doing so won't accomplish what you want anyway: Changing the setting of the blue output voltage switch puts the LPS-1.2 into a full reset and you'll have to wait. There are lots of states of voltage status that get checked and certain things must discharge--all in the name of self preservation by the UltraCap. It's prime directive is to survive! x-D

1 hour ago, JD123 said:

Welcome to Audiophilestyle 

According to Qutest website, it uses micro USB, so you’re correct there. Uptone use 2.1 mm, so that’s correct to. 

You may consider this. 😀

1 hour ago, JD123 said:

wondered if this was the correct adapter

technically... yes, it is

though Qutest's micro USB power port is inside a "tiny-ish" recess so that one might not fit

look for adapters with a lesser amount of "plastic around the plug" ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

2 hours ago, pl_svn said:

technically... yes, it is

though Qutest's micro USB power port is inside a "tiny-ish" recess so that one might not fit

look for adapters with a lesser amount of "plastic around the plug" ;)

You are correct, though the one @JD123 linked to will fit the chassis recess of the Qutest.  I know because that is the exact one we stock—to toss in free upon request—for UltraCap buyers with Qutest. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm getting a kingrex uc384 converter that's supposed to draw 7.5v 200mA.

I'm already using a lps 1.2 to power a microrendu so I thought maybe, if I'm lucky, the lps 1.2 would be able to power both?

I guess there's only one way to find out, but would it be safe to try? I've fried a psu while powering two devices a while back.. so thought I'd ask before trying 😉

The power consumptions your microrendu and kingrex uc 384 converter it is way below the current capability of lps-1.2. You should be ok to powering both device's.

I am using my single lps-1.2 to powering microrendu, singxer F-1 usb to spdif converter, wyred for sound remedy digital recklocker and 5 ldovr lt3045 boards with good success.

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

3 hours ago, Haimsh said:

Hi there

did anyone compare LPS 1.2 to JS-2?

I have IFI PRO IDSD. I want to upgrade it.

Shouild I buy Ultracap or Js-2?

Input voltage (Pro iDSD):

DC 9V/6.7A – 18V/3.35A

LPS 1.2 won't power the unit.

Ok.  I understand. 
I read in IFI PRO IDSD manual: “We strongly recommend the use of the included iPower Plus 15v. It offers the latest in power supply technology and is better and cleaner than any battery or aftermarket linear power supply”. 

What do you think?

Will I hear significant improvement if I purchase and connect Js-2?

7 hours ago, Haimsh said:

I read in IFI PRO IDSD manual: “We strongly recommend the use of the included iPower Plus 15v. It offers the latest in power supply technology and is better and cleaner than any battery or aftermarket linear power supply”. 

Will I hear significant improvement if I purchase and connect Js-2?

There are a lot of iFi Pro DSD users with JS-2s. Check the JS-2 thread.  Here is the recent post of another Pro DSD/JS-2 owner:

• 3 weeks later...

My 1.2 is very hot when running. I have measured 58 C today with a Seek Thermal

i have designed a heat sink that should improve things a bit but I would first like to understand whether the current level of temperature is normal or not.

cheers,

bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

10 hours ago, bernardl said:

My 1.2 is very hot when running. I have measured 58 C today with a Seek Thermal

i have designed a heat sink that should improve things a bit but I would first like to understand whether the current level of temperature is normal or not.

If the output load on the UltraCap LPS-1.2 is near the unit's 1.1A limit on a continuous basis, then yes, the temp you measure is normal.

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, rjanderjr said:

I am using the LPS-1.2 to power this fiber optical ethernet switch:  https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in.  The Power specs on the switch are:

DC jack input Voltage 12-57 V 
Max power consumption 18 W 
Max power consumption without attachments 10 W

Will this work?  It is working fine for me and I wonder if I might be overloading it?  

The 10W is all right for the LPS-1.2 at 12v. The 18W is too much. So if you are running "without attachments" (whatever they are) you should be fine.

John S.

4 hours ago, rjanderjr said:

I am using the LPS-1.2 to power this fiber optical ethernet switch:  https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in.  The Power specs on the switch are:

DC jack input Voltage 12-57 V 
Max power consumption 18 W 
Max power consumption without attachments 10 W

Will this work?  It is working fine for me and I wonder if I might be overloading it?  

Depending on the SFP+ transceivers power usage, you might overload it. Optical SFP+ range between 1 and 2 watts usually. Startup usually sucks more power than just using. So if you have just one SFP+ optic transceiver you may overload the LPS-1.2. If you choose to use a copper wire (normal) ethernet SFP+ adapter then you will definitely overload the LPS-1.2 as they take up to 4W.

So safer and better to look at the JS-2 which can supply up to 60W at 12 volts.

Regards

GG