IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

Aloha! From Honolulu Hawaii. And Happy Super Bowl day!! My first time posting here. I tried to find a introduction thread, but there’s none. And hopefully this is the right thread to post my question.

Starting to get into 2 channel listening. Will the ISO REGEN/UltraCap LPS-1.2 combo work with a ProJect Pre Box S2 digital? I want to stream music from my laptop to my home theater/audio equipment. I’ll be connecting the chain to a Yamaha CX-A5200 as Pass-Through only. Thanks in advance 

Dear Alex and John

I have been using the ISO REGEN/UltraCap LPS-1.2 combo for quite a while and I was happy until last Saturday when my UltraCap LPS-1.2 went dead (looks like).  It seems that no power can be output from the UltraCap LPS-1.2 now.

without changing any setting for the combo part for nearly 2 years, I wondered why?

The power in of UltraCap LPS-1.2 seems fine while I unplug and replug the LED change from red to green, but when I connect it to IOS Regen, the LED of ISO Regen didn't light up.  Then I tried to use the DC power of UltraCap LPS-1.2 to power up IOS Regen, it works!

Does it mean UltraCap LPS-1.2 is down (bought around 04/2018)?  anything I can try to diagnose further?  or I have to mail it back to you to check?  Please advise.

actually I have directly posted my question to Uptone "Contact Us" on Sunday too.  Since I receive neither reply nor email notification I wondered if my query being lost therefore I posted here (I also have to retype all over again since there is no copy except a thank you message).  Thanks for your help and understanding!

LPS#4.jpg

LPS#3.jpg

LPS#2.jpg

10 hours ago, willyhot said:

I have been using the ISO REGEN/UltraCap LPS-1.2 combo for quite a while and I was happy until last Saturday when my UltraCap LPS-1.2 went dead (looks like). ...

Actually I have directly posted my question to Uptone "Contact Us" on Sunday too.  Since I receive neither reply nor email notification I wondered if my query being lost therefore I posted here (I also have to retype all over again since there is no copy except a thank you message).  Thanks for your help and understanding!

Hi Willy:

Sorry you are having trouble with your LPS-1.2. Saw your message from Sunday. Monday was extremely busy (as all Mondays seem to be :S), so it is just now (Tuesday morning) that I have been able to reply to you.  Please check your e-mail and we will get you fixed up quickly.

Thanks,

ALEX

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Willy:

Sorry you are having trouble with your LPS-1.2. Saw your message from Sunday. Monday was extremely busy (as all Mondays seem to be :S), so it is just now (Tuesday morning) that I have been able to reply to you.  Please check your e-mail and we will get you fixed up quickly.

Thanks,

ALEX

Thanks Alex for your prompt response, I will follow up based on your email instructions.  Thanks again.

Good afternoon! I also encountered the same problem yesterday, suddenly LPS 1.2 stopped issuing voltage, measured the device, after turning on the power supply, when the green led lights up, about a minute or a half later, the output power starts jumping from 1 to 7 volts, also wrote a message in uptone, waiting for a response. I live in Russia. I think We have a very similar problem.

12 minutes ago, Aleksey said:

Good afternoon! I also encountered the same problem yesterday, suddenly LPS 1.2 stopped issuing voltage, measured the device, after turning on the power supply, when the green led lights up, about a minute or a half later, the output power starts jumping from 1 to 7 volts, also wrote a message in uptone, waiting for a response. I live in Russia. I think We have a very similar problem.

Hi Aleksey:

I replied to your e-mail before you even posted. Please allow us to assist you directly.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Have gotten very annoyed with the voltage drift on my Breeze Audio LPS powering a Musical Surroundings phono preamp. The stock SMPS is 24V 0.25A. Any suggestions?

I've thought of 2 LPS 1.2's serially connected but not sure if thats safe.

Hi Dave:

Series connection of our UltraCap units works great! In fact, Ghent Audio produces a very nice, series-wired 'Y' cable just for that purpose:

http://ghentaudio.com/part/dc19.html

:)

On 4/17/2020 at 3:28 AM, Superdad said:

Hi Dave:

Series connection of our UltraCap units works great! In fact, Ghent Audio produces a very nice, series-wired 'Y' cable just for that purpose:

http://ghentaudio.com/part/dc19.html

:)

Such a series will enable 24V ... & 2x 1.1 = 2.2amps?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

3 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Sorry, but no. As with batteries in-line in a flashlight, series connection (+/-/+/-) adds the voltages but does not raise the current capability.

[Parallel connection would do so, but that is not supported with our UltraCap units because unless the voltages were within about 15mV of each other one supply would carry the bulk of the load.]

Have a pleasant weekend,

--Alex C.

You could contact Cuinas Audio in Northern Ireland.   Their Supercap ISO PS is pretty amazing!  I have compared it with an LPS 1.2

Lets just say to be PC here it will surprise you. But its cable of delivering well over 4 to as much as maybe 5A of current!  I can run 2 SSD drives and my JCAT from one 5V unit and it doesn't even get warm.

I beleive John Kinney can do and is planning on releasing much higher voltage models.  Or you could series 2 of his 12 Volt models.  His prices are quite reasonable.

jgwtriode

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 11:19 PM, Jgwtriode said:

You could contact Cuinas Audio in Northern Ireland.

Who is "you"? You replied to no one's post.

You do realize that this is an UpTone sponsored thread, and so your post is quite inappropriate? Further, the proprietor of Ciunas Audio is named John Kenny, not Kinney.

I have nothing at all against Ciunas or Kenny, looks like very interesting product, but your posting here about it is out of place in my opinion.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

• 3 weeks later...

I just posted this on the Sonore microrendu support thread, but figured it couldn't hurt to try here, either.  Alex, sorry to drag you into tech support on something I purchased used, but I figured it would be a simple plug-and-play substitution for another LPS. Unfortunately, I may have been naive about that.

I just bought a used Uptone LPS 1.2 to replace the SGC LPS on my microrendu 1.4 (Sonicorbiter 2.8) and set it to 7v, which is what the SGC outputs.  Unfortunately, it did not power up the MR to the point that I could detect it on the network. The lights on the back were not lit.

I then took the LPS 1.2 that was powering my etherregen in another system, set it at 7v, and connected it to the MR. It also wouldn't power up the MR to the point I could detect it. 

In the meantime, the one that I just bought fired up the etherregen at 9v just fine.  We thus know that both LPS 1.2 units are capable of working at 9v.

I then tried swapping DC cables. I used both the cheapo that came with the LPS 1.2 and a Ghent. Neither worked with the MR, so we know it's probably not a cable issue.

I changed ethernet cables.  Still not working.

I then reconnected the MR to the SGC LPS.  It worked fine again.

Is there any reason why an LPS set to 7v wouldn't work with an MR 1.4?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

1 hour ago, Mike Rubin said:

Is there any reason why an LPS set to 7v wouldn't work with an MR 1.4?

Hi Mike:

Here is your solution..

With regards the UltraCap LPS-1.2 and the  microRendu (the below does not apply to the ultraRendu or to our original LPS-1; only to the combo of the microRendu and LPS1.2):

The microRendu is the only device we have seen that does not like the few milliseconds of final voltage ramp time of the LT3045 regulators now used in the LPS-1.2.  That is, when the LPS-1.2 is charged up and turns on the output regs, the voltage does not go from zero to 7 volts instantaneously.  It takes a few thousandths of a second to ramp up for the first time--and the microRendu does not respond to this for some reason.  The solution is simply to first boot the LPS-1.2--all the way to green--with the microRendu not plugged into it--and to then plug the microRendu.

28 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi Mike:

Here is your solution..

With regards the UltraCap LPS-1.2 and the  microRendu (the below does not apply to the ultraRendu or to our original LPS-1; only to the combo of the microRendu and LPS1.2):

The microRendu is the only device we have seen that does not like the few milliseconds of final voltage ramp time of the LT3045 regulators now used in the LPS-1.2.  That is, when the LPS-1.2 is charged up and turns on the output regs, the voltage does not go from zero to 7 volts instantaneously.  It takes a few thousandths of a second to ramp up for the first time--and the microRendu does not respond to this for some reason.  The solution is simply to first boot the LPS-1.2--all the way to green--with the microRendu not plugged into it--and to then plug the microRendu.

Thanks, Alex.  I never would have guessed that!  Will try and let you know if there’s still an issue. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

7 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

Thanks, Alex.  I never would have guessed that!  Will try and let you know if there’s still an issue. 

And it worked perfectly!  Thanks again, Alex.

[Deleted. Duplicate post.]

On 4/17/2020 at 11:34 PM, jamesg11 said:

You can with the correct available HW achieve around double ampere. (In parallel). If you like both 24V and 2.2 A, you would need 4 LPS-1.2. Then it’s probably better to purchase Uptone other PS. 

• 1 month later...

I have a LPS1.2 and I want to power my IsoRegen but also an SOTM unit. Can I just split the wire and power both units? 

The SOTM unit runs at 9V. Should I set the LPS1.2 at 9V, even though I'm powering both units?

Will there be a loss of sound quality doing it this way? 

4 hours ago, edwardsean said:

I have a LPS1.2 and I want to power my IsoRegen but also an SOTM unit. Can I just split the wire and power both units? 

The SOTM unit runs at 9V. Should I set the LPS1.2 at 9V, even though I'm powering both units?

Will there be a loss of sound quality doing it this way? 

I think you'll exceed the current capability of the lps1.2 trying to drive both - it can only provide a little over 1 amp.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100