IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

13 hours ago, jeti said:

New to this thread and a simple question. For LPS1.2 (always connected to power line) , is it better to leave in on all the time? Or powered off when not in use?  For the longevity and performance  of the device.

Hi: 

I see that the above is your very first post here at Audiophile Style.  A big WELCOME to you! :D

To answer your question: It really does not matter too much if you leave your UltraCap LPS-1.2 on all the time or turn it off when not in use.  I do not notice any SQ difference from it being warmed up.

If the device you are powering draws near the LPS-1.2's continuos 1.1A limit (you'll know because the case of the LPS-1.2 will feel hot), then sure, it might be nice to turn it off if you are not going to be listening for a few days.

I have 3 units in my system, and they have been on 24/7 for more than a year.  So no worries.

Best,

--Alex C.

Hi, has anyone tried powering a fmc+switch with an ultracap 1 or 1.2? The fmc is rated 6-9v 0.6A. The switch (netgear gs108 v3) is rated 12v 1A but works fine with 7v from ultracap 1. The switch will only be used for cable in from fmc and cable out to microrendu. I've recently fried a diy linear psu when powering two devices so I'm a bit reluctant. Any chance of frying anything by trying? A low amperage budget switch would be nice if anyone know of one?

I've used the LPS-1 to power EITHER a switch (Zyxel 10/100 ES105a w upgraded Vregs, sonically better than but comparable load-wise with your Netgear) OR an FMC (TP-Link or DeLocker) but using it to power the two together was not succesful. The load as measured was IIRC within the LPS-1 spec but, for whatever reason, the units wouldn't power up. I seem to recall that switching one device on before the other did work but it was a while back.

I'm now using a different approach (not appropriate to discuss here) but, though it works well enough and sounds excellent, it's not, as they say, entirely hassle-free. Using two LPS-1s was fine (and also sounded excellent) but, as a permanent solution, too expensive esp as I'm hoping to try the EtherRegen when my funds and UpTone's supplies permit.

It might be worth your while experimenting with "sequential switching". That said, even though the LPS-1 has robust overload protection, I'd first use a DVM to check the max load.

HTH

Dave

9 minutes ago, Ryelands said:

I've used the LPS-1 to power EITHER a switch (Zyxel 10/100 ES105a w upgraded Vregs, sonically better than but comparable load-wise with your Netgear) OR an FMC (TP-Link or DeLocker) but using it to power the two together was not succesful. The load as measured was IIRC within the LPS-1 spec but, for whatever reason, the units wouldn't power up. I seem to recall that switching one device on before the other did work but it was a while back.

I'm now using a different approach (not appropriate to discuss here) but, though it works well enough and sounds excellent, it's not, as they say, entirely hassle-free. Using two LPS-1s was fine (and also sounded excellent) but, as a permanent solution, too expensive esp as I'm hoping to try the EtherRegen when my funds and UpTone's supplies permit.

It might be worth your while experimenting with "sequential switching". That said, even though the LPS-1 has robust overload protection, I'd first use a DVM to check the max load.

HTH

Dave

Thanks, I'll forget about it and try a different approach. Come to think of it I guess a 12v 1A device running at 7v is already overload, and adding another 0.6A device is probably just asking for trouble. I'll try and move the fmc to another circuit with a ground shunt.

1 hour ago, CVJ said:
I am very pleased with the LPS 1.2 - it has made a major improvement in my Audio system.
My audio chain is LPS 1.2  (set at 9 volts) > microRendu > AudioQuest Carbon > PS Audio NuWave DSD.

Glad you are enjoying the UltraCap/microRendu combo.  But I suggest that you set your LPS-1.2 to output 7 volts instead of 9 volts.  The microRendu will run cooler and their is no sonic advantage to forcing it to dissipate the extra heat from the extra 2 volts. Everything inside the microRendu is running from less than 5V (other than the regulator it dedicates to producing 5VBUS).

• 2 weeks later...

I did install my Mofi Ultradeck some time ago with a Pro-Ject Phono preamp with digital out. As my amplifiers are fully digital, I need an ADC.

I found this Pro-Ject to be not good enough. The analog pre-amplification was later done with a Radial J33 connected to the line input of the Pro-Ject. Much better especially when powering the J33 with an LPS-1.2.

Yesterday I throw out the Pro-Ject for an RME ADI-2 FS. To my surprise the sound was a lot worse. I did no longer use an LPS-1.2 in this setup. My mistake!

Long story, short. I'm now powering the J33 and RME ADI-2 FS with an LPS1.2. WOW!

At high but comfortable volume , I'm having virtually no noise when the needle is lifted. This was not the case with the Pro-Ject.

I can however hear a recharging noise of the LP1.2 in my speakers when I almost put my head inside of them. Negligible, but there's room for improvement 🙂

The J33 + LPS1.2 is a killer phono stage. I think you will need a phono stage of at least 2000$ to beat this combination.

8 hours ago, afrancois said:

I did install my Mofi Ultradeck some time ago with a Pro-Ject Phono preamp with digital out. As my amplifiers are fully digital, I need an ADC.

I found this Pro-Ject to be not good enough. The analog pre-amplification was later done with a Radial J33 connected to the line input of the Pro-Ject. Much better especially when powering the J33 with an LPS-1.2.

Yesterday I throw out the Pro-Ject for an RME ADI-2 FS. To my surprise the sound was a lot worse. I did no longer use an LPS-1.2 in this setup. My mistake!

Long story, short. I'm now powering the J33 and RME ADI-2 FS with an LPS1.2. WOW!

At high but comfortable volume , I'm having virtually no noise when the needle is lifted. This was not the case with the Pro-Ject.

I can however hear a recharging noise of the LP1.2 in my speakers when I almost put my head inside of them. Negligible, but there's room for improvement 🙂

The J33 + LPS1.2 is a killer phono stage. I think you will need a phono stage of at least 2000$ to beat this combination.

My understanding was that the lps-2 couldn’t power the RME cos of this dac’s hungry power-up cycle?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Got it ... assumed you meant the ADI 2 FS dac ... I was hoping you’d found a way re the dac & lps1.2!

Apart from 2x lps1.2!!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Hi,

I just got a new RME ADI-2 DAC to replace my Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital.

I am currently using both rails from the UpTone JS-2 Power Supply with a microrendu 1.4 and iso regen.

I was using my UltraCap LPS-1.2 with the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital.

What's the best way to reconfigure my 2 power supplies to use with the RME ADI-2 DAC?

I also have a Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 using the supplied power supply.

Thanks,

Larry

21 minutes ago, seaharp1 said:

I just got a new RME ADI-2 DAC to replace my Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital.

I am currently using both rails from the UpTone JS-2 Power Supply with a microrendu 1.4 and iso regen.

I was using my UltraCap LPS-1.2 with the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital.

What's the best way to reconfigure my 2 power supplies to use with the RME ADI-2 DAC?

I also have a Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 using the supplied power supply.

Hi Larry:

Congrats on your RME purchase!

It has been a lot day, so without going into all the details of why, here is how I suggest you power using the (3 total outputs of) JS=2 and UltraCap LPS-1.2 you have:

RME ADI-2 at 12V on one JS-2 output;

ISO REGEN at 7V on the other JS-2 output;

microRendu at 7V on the UltraCap LPS-1.2.

The above will preserve the galvanic isolation of the ISO REGEN and also give the microRendu the lowest output impedance power supply--which it really likes.

Do let us know if you have any other questions. We are always here to assist.

Best,

--Alex C.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Hi Larry:

Congrats on your RME purchase!

It has been a lot day, so without going into all the details of why, here is how I suggest you power using the (3 total outputs of) JS=2 and UltraCap LPS-1.2 you have:

RME ADI-2 at 12V on one JS-2 output;

ISO REGEN at 7V on the other JS-2 output;

microRendu at 7V on the UltraCap LPS-1.2.

The above will preserve the galvanic isolation of the ISO REGEN and also give the microRendu the lowest output impedance power supply--which it really likes.

Do let us know if you have any other questions. We are always here to assist.

Best,

--Alex C.

Pretty much the same here, except lps1.1 on IR. So, a spare js-2 output for what?

• 1 month later...

Is anyone powering a SOTM snh-10g (preferably with clock) with LPS 1.2?

The specs are within limits of the LPS, so it should work... I would like to hear performance benefits. I have 2 switches, one powered by Uptone JS-2 and one by SBooster. Anyone compared the performance with these?

Cheers...

Kii Three + BXT, dCS Network Bridge, Astell&Kern SP2000, Stromtank 2500, Roon Nucleus, Echole Power Cables, Mogami + Bocchino AES, SOTM Switch + CAT7 + CAT8

• 2 weeks later...

My UltraCap LPS 1.2 arrived yesterday, plugged in just for few hours, no critical listening so far. I have also ordered ISO REGEN from MetaWave! Can’t wait to start experimenting with both in my setup.

I have few questions:

1.    Do longer DC cable from LPS (1m) degrade sound quality? Supplied DC cable is not long enough for ideal placement of audio gear in my rack. Considering buying 1m MCRU Audio Grade Kimber DC Power Cable.

2.    How long does it take for LPS 1.2 to reach its optimal performance (burn in period)? And is it necessary to play music during burn in, or just leave all connected gear ON for some time?

Synergistic Research Powercell 12UEF > Innuos PhoenixNET > Aurender N100H > Innuos PhoenixUSB > Ferrum audio Wandla + Hypsos DAC > Simaudio Moon 600i / Gato Audio DIA400S > Dynaudio C1 speakers > Siltech, Shunyata & Stealth cabling

13 minutes ago, Koso said:

My UltraCap LPS 1.2 arrived yesterday, plugged in just for few hours, no critical listening so far. I have also ordered ISO REGEN from MetaWave! Can’t wait to start experimenting with both in my setup.

I have few questions:

1.    Do longer DC cable from LPS (1m) degrade sound quality? Supplied DC cable is not long enough for ideal placement of audio gear in my rack. Considering buying 1m MCRU Audio Grade Kimber DC Power Cable.

2.    How long does it take for LPS 1.2 to reach its optimal performance (burn in period)? And is it necessary to play music during burn in, or just leave all connected gear ON for some time?

The general advice I believe is to have as short a DC cable as you can. I did by some excellent cables from Ghent Audio and they will do whatever length you want. I preferred to keep them short even so and did this by sacrificing the aesthete of the stack. Honestly I never have noticed any burn in period on my three 1.2 and two original LPS units. They always sounded great.