IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

15 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I'm wondering if their are any good NOS DAC  choices that an LPS 1.2 could power?

Hi David: 

I may have the perfect suggestion for you! http://www.soekris.dk/dac1321.html

5V in, same proven Soekris sign-magnitude R2R topology and same discrete output stage as in their upper models (which mostly just add so-so power supplies and balanced outputs).

Two forum friends--who both have excellent systems and good ears--recently did a comparison between the Soekris dac1321(LPS-1.2) and a modified SU-1(LPS-1.2)>Holo Spring combo (which is what I run at present). The guy who owns the SU-1>Holo might be putting those up for sale...  It was very close.  I might get one myself.  Would save a lot of shelf space. No true native DSD though.

On 6/14/2018 at 3:23 PM, azupan75 said:

I believe Lps-1.2 works with Chord Qutest and 2Qute dacs. But I am more interested if anyone tried RME ADI 2 dac. According to specs should work

br, Andrej

This was asked a while back, without reply ...? So, clarification on this RME dac - it’s wanting 9.5V to 15V ie 12V fine, but too high amps?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi David: 

I may have the perfect suggestion for you! http://www.soekris.dk/dac1321.html

5V in, same proven Soekris sign-magnitude R2R topology and same discrete output stage as in their upper models (which mostly just add so-so power supplies and balanced outputs).

Two forum friends--who both have excellent systems and good ears--recently did a comparison between the Soekris dac1321(LPS-1.2) and a modified SU-1(LPS-1.2)>Holo Spring combo (which is what I run at present). The guy who owns the SU-1>Holo might be putting those up for sale...  It was very close.  I might get one myself.  Would save a lot of shelf space. No true native DSD though.

appreciate the suggestion, no DSD not an issue. Time to research😉

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

This was asked a while back, without reply ...? So, clarification on this RME dac - it’s wanting 9.5V to 15V ie 12V fine, but too high amps?

Yes. I tried powering the RME DAC with the LPS1.2 and it wouldn't play. It must take a fair bit of current to keep that display glowing. It didn't sound musical with the stock supply, so I returned it.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

3 hours ago, lmitche said:

Yes. I tried powering the RME DAC with the LPS1.2 and it wouldn't play. It must take a fair bit of current to keep that display glowing. It didn't sound musical with the stock supply, so I returned it.

Returned dac or just stock supply? Mine sounds good with a local Oz lpsu, using it in direct dsd to 256 mode - a step up on the idsd I had. Might go to the js-2 ... should be better again.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Also, assuming you can turn display off? Manual info is a bit clunky ...

6 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Returned dac or just stock supply? Mine sounds good with a local Oz lpsu, using it in direct dsd to 256 mode - a step up on the idsd I had. Might go to the js-2 ... should be better again.

The DAC, with stock smps, was returned. I really wanted the RME to work, but the IFI microIDSD powered by the lps1.2 just sounded much more musical.

In the end the Soekris 1321 powered by two lps1.2s, one on the vbus, the second on the normal power input, beat everything else.

10 hours ago, lmitche said:

It seemed there is no way to keep the display powered off during the boot process. Once past the initial boot process the display can be set to turn off automatically.

Right, yes, that’s the critical point, re the use of the lps1.2.

Interesting our different views on the idsd & rme - I run the rme in pure dsd mode, upsampling all to 256, a la Miska advice (will have to upgrade computer to go to new hqp ec modulators ...).

1 hour ago, jamesg11 said:

Right, yes, that’s the critical point, re the use of the lps1.2.

Interesting our different views on the idsd & rme - I run the rme in pure dsd mode, upsampling all to 256, a la Miska advice (will have to upgrade computer to go to new hqp ec modulators ...).

Just bitperfect playback here, no upsampling anymore, except in the DAC.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Alex,

I seem to be having an issue with my LPS 1.2.  It has been powering my UltraRendu.  The other day I wasn't getting any sound, and I checked the UltraRendu and it was not getting any power.  I then checked the LPS 1.2 and noticed the LED light was solid red/orange (I know it is supposed to go Red, then Orange, then Green, so I assume it is Red, but it looks more red/orange to me).  I unplugged the charging unit and then plugged it in again, the red/orange LED comes on, but it just stays the same color.  I also tried turning the power button on and off on the LPS 1.2, but that is not working.

Any ideas?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

10 hours ago, Blake said:

Hi Alex,

I seem to be having an issue with my LPS 1.2.  It has been powering my UltraRendu.  The other day I wasn't getting any sound, and I checked the UltraRendu and it was not getting any power.  I then checked the LPS 1.2 and noticed the LED light was solid red/orange (I know it is supposed to go Red, then Orange, then Green, so I assume it is Red, but it looks more red/orange to me).  I unplugged the charging unit and then plugged it in again, the red/orange LED comes on, but it just stays the same color.  I also tried turning the power button on and off on the LPS 1.2, but that is not working.

Any ideas?

try another power supply to confirm the power supply is not the issue (instead of the lps-1.2)

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

try another power supply to confirm the power supply is not the issue (instead of the lps-1.2)

Good point, I forgot to mention I ended up with two identical Uptone charging supplies and tried both, so I was able to determine the charging supply is not the problem.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Hi Blake:

Please shoot me a note (via our contact page or my private e-mail which I think you already have) and we will get your unit back to us for test and quick exchange.

Thanks,

ALEX

Hi Alex, will do.  

16 hours ago, Blake said:

Hi Alex,

Any ideas?

The LPS-1.2 normally drives the ultraRendu without problem?

7 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

I just purchased one anyway!

You'll love it. They're excellent and really improve the audio quality of the devices they power. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

1 minute ago, Blake said:

One of the many reasons why I will always choose to purchase from Uptone, rather than from their competitors, is that Alex always stands behind his products and provides impeccable customer service.  In the rare instance you encounter a problem, Alex will bend over backwards to take care of you.

This is why Uptone need a cool new website, whitepapers, lots of cool reviews and a big product family to please the crowd 😎🤘

3 minutes ago, Blake said:

In the rare instance you encounter a problem, Alex will bend over backwards to take care of you.

So that's why my back is always sore?...  x-D

1 minute ago, Bernstein said:

This is why Uptone need a cool new website, whitepapers, lots of cool reviews and a big product family to please the crowd 😎🤘

I know you'll get right on that for me! :P

Actually, I did add a page to our site this weekend--listing the few excellent overseas dealers who have been representing us for more than a year.

And I made a blog post for the first time in 3 years! It's a bit cheeky--just telling people to come to this forum to keep up with the news.