IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

On 6/5/2019 at 1:09 AM, Superdad said:

That recommendation is not for "better performance,"  EtherREGEN will perform exactly the same with 7V input as it will with 12V input. But due to our use of specially chosen DC-DC regulators paired with LT3045 linear regs, the total current draw of the EtherREGEN will be approximately 400mA less with a 12V input than with a 7V input.

Perhaps to early to ask and in the wrong thread so feel freE to move it to etherREGEN....

At 12Vdc using the SFP port, one RJ45 on the A-side and the RJ45 port on the B-side to streamer what do you think the current draw will be (I think you wrote max 1A at 12V but I suppose that is if you use all the ports on it?).

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
9 hours ago, octaviars said:

Perhaps to early to ask and in the wrong thread so feel free to move it to etherREGEN....

At 12Vdc using the SFP port, one RJ45 on the A-side and the RJ45 port on the B-side to streamer what do you think the current draw will be (I think you wrote max 1A at 12V but I suppose that is if you use all the ports on it?).

We will publish complete current consumption measurements for the EtherREGEN in a few weeks.  Over in the EtherREGEN thread of course--though I may begin a new pre-launch thread.

Thanks, 

ALEX

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 10:14 AM, Chiler54 said:

My LPS 1.2 provides power for a Chord Qutest. Can the 1.2 provide the Qutest and Iso Regen together?

Without knowing the true current draw of the Qutest I can not tell you for certain.  The ISO REGEN draws 240mA via its DC jack.  That powers four LT3042 ultra-ultra-low-noise regulators at 3.3V, plus the TI TPS7A4700 dedicated to delivering 5VBUS power on USB Pin 1 to DACs that need it.

Since the Qutest--via its DC input--requests 5V, you would have to set the LPS-1.2--with 'Y'-cabled output--to 5V, not the usual 7V for the ISO REGEN.  That's of course fine for all the 3.3V regulators, but for the 5VBUS regulator, 5V in will leave no "drop room" to regulate to.  As long as the Qutest does not also draw a whole bunch of 5VBUS current though its USB 'B' data port, you would probably be just fine.  Especially since the source of the 5V passing through the ISO REGEN to the VBUS, while not regulated, is the very clean LPS-1.2!

Bottom line, you can try it and see.  The UltraCap LPS-1.2 LED will tell you if the load is too much. You can not do any harm here.  I thought someone tried this combination once already, I just can not remember the outcome. :)

On 8/29/2019 at 10:34 AM, Chiler54 said:

Or my other 1.2 with Ultrarendu and Iso Regen together?

The Silanna isolator chip at the input side of the ISO REGEN draws just 20mA of 5VBUS current for its upstream side (and actually, we dedicate a 5th LT3042 to creating 3.3V for this, as opposed to using the Silanna's internal 3.3V regulator--probably overkill, but it helps us get to the modest 1,000 piece price break on those costly regs when we run 250 units a time x-D).

So in this second scenario, the total current load on a LPS-1.2 will be the 600-800mA it takes to boot an ultraRendu, plus 20mA for the input of the ISO REGEN, plus 240mA of the downstream side of the ISO REGEN, plus whatever 5VBUS load your attached DAC or DDC presents.

It might work for some; then again it might be too much.

I hope the above is helpful to you.  Feel free to experiment.

Have a great weekend,

--Alex C.

1 hour ago, Chiler54 said:

I read somewhere that the Qutest consumes only 2.5W.

Does that help to estimate it better?

If it only draws 2.5W at 5V then that's just 0.5A.  Less than half the UltraCap LPS-1.2's 1.1A capability.  So sure, you would have plenty of current left over for the ISO REGEN's 240mA.  Thus you are looking at 740mA, plus whatever 5VBUS current (if any) is drawn by the Qutest's USB 'B' data port.  Likely not more than another 100mA--bring total load for an LPS-1.2 powering ISO REGEN+Qutest up to an estimated 0.84A.  Easy!

IHi, I'm getting two ultracap 1.2's and 1 ultracap 1. They'll be powering a fmc, microrendu and a 2qute dac. Reading about how they're 100% galvanic isolated from the mains and doesn't necessarily likes filtering, would my idea about using a grounded unfiltered power strip into a dedicated line be a good approach? This dedicated line will be used for the 3 ultracaps only and my integrated on another dedicated line. In theory the quality of the power strip, plugs, cable etc shouldn't really affect the SQ? It's an ok quality kemp strip but obviously not top of the line. Best regards Steffen

Also, reading about how it prefers the generic cable it comes with.. and I live in Europe. There's anything special about this generic cable or will any generic cable do the trick? I could cut it and add a schuko plug.. but then there's the question if the different plug will affect anything? I know I may be nitpicking here 😉... I'd just like to get everything set up the best way I can 😊

54 minutes ago, Steffenegede said:

Also, reading about how it prefers the generic cable it comes with.. and I live in Europe. There's anything special about this generic cable or will any generic cable do the trick? I could cut it and add a schuko plug.. but then there's the question if the different plug will affect anything? I know I may be nitpicking here 😉... I'd just like to get everything set up the best way I can 😊

I think your mileage  may vary. You need to try it out. I had read, was told and thought that the included cable with the switching power supply was best and that an after market power cord makes no difference, nor does it matter if the power supply is plugged into the wall or a strip.

It did actually make a difference using a better power cord (it takes on the characteristics of the cord) and going into a strip with passive conditioning (the sound is smoother and more refined) in my system.

18 minutes ago, Superdad said:

The mains power cord on the charger should make no difference whatsoever.  But having a good low-impedance connection to AC mains ground is important. Direct into the wall, or into a filter which does not impede the ground are both best.

I'll experiment with it once I get them 😊 I'm hoping to get a good result when using the dedicated line with only ultracaps. Oh well, there's a possibility the ground is dirty and such. I'm using a ground master to ground signal/chassis, but I guess the only way is to wait and see what happens. A couple of aftermarket pc's had to go in order to finance the ultracaps, so I'm hoping for the best. It's been quite a while since I've had any generic cables in the system 😉

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Superdad said:

All 3 of the UltraCap LPS-1.2 units in my system have been running 24/7/365 for a couple of years now. One of them is powering a slim/fanless NUC running AudioLinux/NAA. 

Ok wow! How do you maintain the longevity of the supercaps? Are they similar to be seen as caps in regular LPS in regard if wear and tear? I am asking that, because I sense some smartness from John Swenson in that :) 

14 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

Ok wow! How do you maintain the longevity of the supercaps?

I’m in town on my phone so don’t have access to the underlying assumptions he used, but early on John calculated the supercaps lifespan—as used in our units and at 0.8A continuous—to be about 20 years.  

[Units can fail for other reasons, but it won’t be because of supercaps fading.]

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, littlecx said:

Hi my AC>DC power supply of LPS_1.2 has developed constantly non-stop static sound. Is it normal?

Hello:

The transformer and magnetics of the UltraCap’s SMPS charging brick do make a small amount of noise—at intervals coinciding with the heavy current draw of the LPS-1.2’s charging cycles. How close to your ear does your brick need to be for you to hear it?  Most all of them are quiet enough so that they can only be heard quietly if your ear is 4 inches or closer.  It is certainly possible that you have one which has become noisier.  If you think that is the case—and if it bothers you—please contact us directly via our web site and we will gladly assist. :)

On 2/19/2018 at 9:00 AM, mozes said:

Chord Qutest

I sent the following message privately to a few friends, but it's worth sharing here:

I just tried an LPS-1.2 + ISO REGEN + USPCB combo to the signal side of my Qutest friend. Holy mackerel is that a marked improvement to an already awesome step-up. Clarity, separation, control, tautness, texture, depth... 

Now I’m left picking my jaw up and wondering how this tech might improve the headphone amp [A Massdrop THX AAA 789] (except it takes a whopping 24V 1.8A), and of course the ultraRendu goes without saying.

...Why, oh why does it have to keep sounding better?! 

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Given how amazing this is (I believed it would be better, but I was not expecting such a substantial improvement!), I'm now curious what my next power cleanup step should be.

So, for those who have a Qutest and also happen to have two or more LPS-1.2 units... do you find that there is substantial benefit to be gained by powering Qutest with an LPS-1.2 (via the 5V 1A micro-USB B power port) in addition to restoring the signal side (via the USB B with LPS-1.2 + ISO REGEN?

If you also happen have a microRendu or ultraRendu, do you find that better 'bang for the buck' is to be found in powering the 'Rendu with an LPS-1.2 vs powering the Qutest?

Or does cleaning up the signal side of the Qutest with ISO REGEN + LPS-1.2 make the 'Rendu power story less important?

46 minutes ago, Jeremy Anderson said:

So, for those who have a Qutest and also happen to have two or more LPS-1.2 units... do you find that there is substantial benefit to be gained by powering Qutest with an LPS-1.2 (via the 5V 1A micro-USB B power port) in addition to restoring the signal side (via the USB B with LPS-1.2 + ISO REGEN?

Hi Jeremy:

Thanks for sharing your very positive experience with the ISO REGEN and UltraCap LPS-1.2.

There are quite a lot of people using an LPS-1.2 to power their Chord Qutest DACs—and they report excellent results.  We even toss in—free upon request—a DC-barrel>microUSB adapter plug whose microUSB end is shaped to fit in the square recess of the Qutest’s case.

The easiest way for you to get a sense of the improvement would be to temporarily take your LPS-1.2 away from the ISO REGEN (leave the REGEN out of the chain) and try it with the Qutest.  (Be sure to adjust the output voltage switch down to 5V for the Qutest.)

46 minutes ago, Jeremy Anderson said:

Or does cleaning up the signal side of the Qutest with ISO REGEN + LPS-1.2 make the 'Rendu power story less important?

Providing the computer/streamer/renderer endpoint—a Rendu in your case—with broadband ultra-low output-impedance power is always highly worthwhile due to the bursty nature of the way such devices draw current. So no, I do not think your use of the ISO REGEN makes thee power supply to your Rendu less important.

All this stuff is a matter of degrees of course. Four decades as an audiophile has shown me that each revealing step makes the next step more audible, not less.  In audio there are very few products or techniques/technologies which solve something so well that improvements in other connected areas become inaudible.

[Though from my first experiments with EtherREGEN, we may have a piece which breaks that rule in some ways; it seems not to respond to a linear PS and optical into it does not improve on the copper; see my recent report: 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/38968-etherregen-we-are-getting-much-closer/?do=findComment&comment=990592]

I've acquired 2nd hand a JS2, which  greatly simplified my digital source solution. But that leaves me with a superfluous LPS 1.2 now that an endpoint NUC

is no longer best sound. I'm wondering if their are any good NOS DAC  choices that an LPS 1.2 could power? I've been leaning towards a Gumby for a while but its

cheap looking AC power supply section makes me uncomfortable

Regards,

Dave

Audio system