IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

UpTone thanks for the quick action on replacing my lps 1.2., which is now powering a urendu.

The new new unit is running very hot—almost painfully hot to the touch. The urendu  is also quite warm after a couple of hours use. ( I’ve set the lps1.2 to 7 btw). Is this to  be expected?

im wondering if I have a power problem since the Gumby dac powered on the same power strip seems quite a bit warm, more than the slightly warm I’m used to. Any suggestions?

4 hours ago, Browniesbane said:

UpTone thanks for the quick action on replacing my lps 1.2., which is now powering a urendu.

The new new unit is running very hot—almost painfully hot to the touch. The urendu  is also quite warm after a couple of hours use. ( I’ve set the lps1.2 to 7 btw). Is this to  be expected?

That's normal, and nothing to be concerned about.

Is this your first time using the UltraCap LPS-1.2 to power your ultraRendu?  I guess whatever you were powering with the  LPS-1.2 previously was drawing less than 0.5A.  Our UltraCap supplies have two operational modes: Low-charge-current mode for output loads less than 0.5A; and high-charge-current mode for output loads greater than 0.5A.  In high-charge current mode the unit will run noticeably hotter--and hotter still as your approach a 1A load.

But at all times the parts inside the unit are never hotter than a bit above half their rated thermal limits.  The UltraCap case is the heatsink for the whole product.

Also, the 5VBUS load (if any) from the DAC connected to the ultraRendu will add to the overall load on the UltraCap supply.

4 hours ago, Browniesbane said:

im wondering if I have a power problem since the Gumby dac powered on the same power strip seems quite a bit warm, more than the slightly warm I’m used to. Any suggestions?

Sorry, that part does not make sense to me.  Your ultraRendu and UltraCap power supply can not have any effect on the thermal state of a DAC (which in your case has its own internal AC>DC power supply).

Reading this thread there are quite a few people using the LPS 1.2 with the Chord Qutest. I’ve just received an LPS to ty with this DAC and I was wondering what additional tweaks people are using for this particular setup?

General tweaks include vibration damping footers, replacement DC leads like the Ghent but are their any particularly beneficial to the Qutest?

And are ther audible burn-In changes over time?

• 2 weeks later...

@Superdad

As you probably know, I have pushed your (yes mine 😀) LPS-1.2 in to its limitations the last week. 

Is there any chance the LPS-1.2 can drift away from its voltage or current supply when it’s getting above 60 degrees ? (Due to a continues 1.1 A draw). 

Or even add damage to the equipment it supplies ?

My understanding is none if the above can happen, as you several times has explained how well it’s tested. 

Will the possible current draw from my LPS-1, or any other thing differ, if I change the setting from my present 7V to 9V ?

(As an example, I just noticed John said the LPS-1.2 should be set to 12V for EtherRegen for best performance, even though I think the LPS-1 can power it at 9V). 

I know you’re also questioning my measurements to probably close to 65 degrees. Which now is more back to normal (less than 55 degree C) where you can touch the LPS-1.2 for a longer time. Still with presumably same 1.1A load as earlier this week.

What is your logic explanation to that ?

I don’t think putting the LPS-1.2  vertically will change anything. 

As a general question to either you or John:

Can electronic, (leave out computers or similar that has SW driven power draw), have a variable power draw the first hour to a week from first power up in order to stabilize itself ? Or even some hours after power up later ?

What is your best suggestion to get better heat dissipation from the LPS-1.2 ?

How much does the environment temperature affect LPS-1.2 temperature ?

I hardly get above 25 or 26. I suppose you have costumes in a lot hotter conditions. 

Finally when, if ever, can we have an UltraCap LPS with something like between 1.2 to 1.7A supply out ? (You know best where to set the amp in order to please the marked)

And hopefully below a $1000 price ?

Would it need a bigger case ? And if so, can your JS-2 case be something to start with ?

Also I’m planning to do some current measurements. Does it matter at all weather I insert the meter on plus or minus. To me not at all, but I like to do plus. 

On 6/5/2019 at 12:09 AM, Superdad said:

or better yet make a cradle for it so it stands on curved edge so that air even flows around

Are Uptone Audio maybe planning to produce such an item - maybe machined from aluminium?

[Sorry if it’s been asked before].

Maybe I should brush up on my DIY skills, but the specific radius of curvature makes it tricky to get right.

3 hours ago, BlueDL said:

Are Uptone Audio maybe planning to produce such an item - maybe machined from aluminium?

[Sorry if it’s been asked before].

Maybe I should brush up on my DIY skills, but the specific radius of curvature makes it tricky to get right.

Drill the proper sized hole in a board and split it in two. Simples!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

• 2 weeks later...

My impressions of Ghent Audio Gotham based DC cable used with my LPS-1.2 below.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Yep, had them under everything for about 5 years now. Even better on some items with the SuperSonic Stabiliser on top, ie dac, rendu, regen - though benefit is just as likely derived from the mass.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

1 hour ago, jamesg11 said:

Yep, had them under everything for about 5 years now. Even better on some items with the SuperSonic Stabiliser on top, ie dac, rendu, regen - though benefit is just as likely derived from the mass.

I believe that; I'll have to try the SuperSonic stabilizer some time. I know that having some mass on the top cover can help with coupling for mechanical grounding as well as preventing ringing, etc. The key is to know what the right amout of mass is. Too much can result in a dead, "wooden" sound. My guess is there is a sweet spot depending on the specific chassis, etc. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

It's been a while since I've been on this forum but I still use my ISO-REGEN/LPS-1 combo all the time. No problems since the purchase and all my digital files sound killer.

Anybody want to take a crack at trying to convince me why I should go from the LPS-1 to the 1.2? 

The LPS-1 does what I need it to but trying to get better sound quality is never ending.....even though I'm quite impressed with what I've got going right now.

Thanks!

On 6/29/2019 at 7:11 AM, SWL3600 said:

It's been a while since I've been on this forum but I still use my ISO-REGEN/LPS-1 combo all the time. No problems since the purchase and all my digital files sound killer.

Anybody want to take a crack at trying to convince me why I should go from the LPS-1 to the 1.2? 

The LPS-1 does what I need it to but trying to get better sound quality is never ending.....even though I'm quite impressed with what I've got going right now.

Thanks!

I can take a crack at this. Mine powers a microRendu 1.4.

I  just replaced my LPS 1 with a 1.2.  It’s better.  Cleaner.  I didn’t think it could get much better. It just is.  Thanks Alex.

Whether it’s worth your money, you’ll need to decide . . .

I am impressed: I have the clean side of my Allo digione Signature connected to the 1.2 and it stays really „cold“. Once I attached the RPI it got really hot. But with the Signature (65mA-90mA drain) it is not even hand warm. I don’t have my setup ready yet, so I don’t know if it „really“ plays music, but looking at the settings in Roon an playback shown in the app it is active. I suppose, that the 1.2 charges with longer pauses in between due to the low current which reflects the low temperature. 

On 6/21/2019 at 3:01 PM, jamesg11 said:

Hi,

IME, - the LPS-1 and Rendu products are light and small enough to use the Herbie's "baby booties." I use these under my LPS-1 and ultraRendu and the also the Sonic Stabilizers on both.

I also have noticed a lot of improvement by using Tenderfeet on the top shelf of my audio rack, then using another maple "board" and then Aurios on top of that and under my APL Universal player. One can shake the audio rack and the APL doesn't move at all.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I have a Ultracap 1.2 powering my Allo DigiOne Signature. Stays cool and easy to forget about device. Well done engineering from my point of view. 

Unfortunately I am still not able to „hear“ something because my system is not ready yet and delivery will take time. 

Due to boredom and tinkering around with new Ghent Audio JSSG 360 cables :) I heard some click clack noise from the Ultracaps. It changes in frequency based on the current. Audible from 1-1,5m in a silent room (my ears are cat ears 👂 :)). I already red about that in the Ultracap 1 thread and also

mailed with @Superdad 

Statement was it is normal. I have no doubt that this is true + Amps are way louder with their transformers or other buzzing so I will surely live with it. 

But I am curious: Are all your Ultracaps working / sounding this way?  I am wondering if there is some electromagnetic field radiating at the time of that click noise, which could influence other devices (my Digione is directly sitting on the Ultracaps)? 

On 7/19/2019 at 2:57 PM, Bernstein said:

Statement was it is normal. I have no doubt that this is true + Amps are way louder with their transformers or other buzzing so I will surely live with it. 

But I am curious: Are all your Ultracaps working / sounding this way?  I am wondering if there is some electromagnetic field radiating at the time of that click noise, which could influence other devices (my Digione is directly sitting on the Ultracaps)? 

Well I listened with headphones turned up very loud to the video you made at 1m distance.  I could not hear anything other than your ambient room noise.

And yes, I do not think you should have all that great piled right on top of your UltraCap LPS-1.2.

3 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And yes, I do not thing you should have all that great piled right on top of your UltraCap LPS-1.2.

Sorry my English seems to be insufficient: you mean it is too heavy or due to electrical noise and therefore distance?

As I said: Cat 🐱 ears 👂 hearing the roots  growing.  

I could hear it on my iPhone replaying the video :D 

6 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

Sorry my English seems to be insufficient: you mean it is too heavy or due to electrical noise and therefore distance?

Heat. Interference. Possible mechanical amplification of the tiny tic noise the inductor sometimes makes when the unit alternates capacitor banks.

Try taking all that stuff off the top and see hear what results. But really nothing to worry about.  I am sure that the transformers of most all the other gear in your system make vastly more noise than the near-silent tic of an UltraCap unit. :)

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Heat. Interference. Possible mechanical amplification of the tiny tic noise the inductor sometimes makes when the unit alternates capacitor banks.

Try taking all that stuff off the top and see hear what results. But really nothing to worry about.  I am sure that the transformers of most all the other gear in your system make vastly more noise than the near-silent tic of an UltraCap unit. :)

Aaaa ok. Tried that also. No change. 

The heat is ok, but I will try to separate them from each other...

On 7/20/2019 at 12:25 AM, Superdad said:

Hi! I just ordered this nice "mini hifi rack" to stack them appropriately rather than piling up a wobbly tower of tech :) This will work way better. 13cmx10cm and 4,5cm height per shelf. 

image.png.13aae9a13d17ec2564e23674b87698a9.png

image.png.7028b58d4fe27d33be83a39d02510e33.png