IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

9 hours ago, Franatic said:

I am interested in Singxer's new SU-6. It's normal operation current draw is well below the 1.2A threshold. However, at turn on it charges a 7.5f supercap which draws from 1.2A to 2A per the manufacturer. If the LPS-1.2 could continue working and limit current draw to its max level while the supercap is charging it could work well with this DDC. Does the LPS-1.2 have this continue working/current limiting capability, or does it just shut down?

Good question!  The truth is that without trying the new Singxer SU-6 and UltraCap LPS-1.2 together there is no way to know for sure if the combo will work.  [Of course there are a great many people (including myself) using an LPS-1.2 to power their SU-1 DDC units.]

The 1.1~1.19A current limit (every unit is certified to perform to at least 1.1A, some make it to almost 1.2A) is a pretty firm limit.  I would need to check with @JohnSwenson with regards to how short a current draw burst over that limit would need to be to avoid tripping an LPS-1.2 into its over-current mode (wherein it turns off its output, flashes red 5 times, then turns on output with one green flash to check if load is still too high, if it is then it flashes red 5 times again and so on).

Thanks, SD. I have the Su-1 with an LPS-1.2 on it and it is a superb combo. There would be no reason to upgrade to the SU-6 if I couldn't use the LPS-1.2 with it.

I think there will be more supercap units coming to market. These are a problem for the LPS-1.2. It would be nice if there was some circuit or means for it to handle them and their short charging time high current draws.

I will contact Leter@Singxer and see if I can get any info on charging time for the SU-6 supercap circuit.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

If you can solder SMD parts, I've had great results using a dual paralleled LT3045 regulator board like this one:

https://www.mpaudio.net/product-page/sd-hpuln-ps?utm_campaign=056936e3-2299-4d5e-9ce7-7a9d8d03ba75&utm_source=so

I use it to couple 2 LPS-1.2s together in parallel. I replace the adjustment pots with appropriate .1% precision resistors to get the 2 sides to VERY close to the same output values, feed an LPS-1.2 into each half, & parallel the outputs.

Yup, it is an advanced project, but getting 2A+ of LPS-1.2 power can be very nice!

In some applications, my experience is that it even sounds better than a single LPS-1.2 alone, even when the current draw of the device is <.5A. I'm guessing it's the benefits of lower output impedance due to paralleling. 

& Alex gives me a commission each time someone buys a 2nd one for this purpose, right Alex? ?

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

Interesting........but couldn't you just parallel the outputs of 2 LPS-1.2s?

Plus, the problem for me is this becomes a +$1,000 upgrade of the SU-1. Even if I could just use my LPS-1.2 by itself, I'm not sure of buying the SU-6.

I've decided to wait on some reviews of the Singxer SU-6 and see if it is a significant upgrade. The SU-1/LPS-1.2 is pretty damn good.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

The 2 LPS-1.2s have to be carefully matched during setup by Alex to ensure they actually share the load & truly parallel. Without that one takes the load until it shuts off, then the other until it shuts off... You get the picture. 

I know he did the matching at least once & as far as I know swore to never do it again. I had those units & truthfully, I preferred a single unit to the 'twins'when used within their current limits. 

But now I use several configurations with 2 LPS-1.2s paralleled via a dual regulator board similar to the one I linked. I generally like that better than a single LPS-1.2. 

I guess I'm just weird that way!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

5 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Can the LPS 1.2 power this device as AL Roon endpoint (RAM only, no SSD)?  NUC7PJYH

That’s really more a question for Larry and gang over in the other (AL/NUC-centric) thread.  I do recall a couple of people saying they could boot their stripped-down AL Pentium NUCs with an LPS1.2 (I do with my Celeron), by I’m sure you know than keeping such computers down to below 1.1A is quite challenging. (Though I think my NUC running as NAA draws only about 0.8A during playback.)

On 11/22/2018 at 7:17 PM, Superdad said:

Good question!  The truth is that without trying the new Singxer SU-6 and UltraCap LPS-1.2 together there is no way to know for sure if the combo will work.  [Of course there are a great many people (including myself) using an LPS-1.2 to power their SU-1 DDC units.]

The 1.1~1.19A current limit (every unit is certified to perform to at least 1.1A, some make it to almost 1.2A) is a pretty firm limit.  I would need to check with @JohnSwenson with regards to how short a current draw burst over that limit would need to be to avoid tripping an LPS-1.2 into its over-current mode (wherein it turns off its output, flashes red 5 times, then turns on output with one green flash to check if load is still too high, if it is then it flashes red 5 times again and so on).

SD, I received two emails from Leter@singxer about the SU-6 charging needs:

1) "  if LPS-1.2 can continuous work in its maximum current mode,it can work well with SU-6.

SU-6's actual current is about 1.2A-2A small current need more time to charging suppercaps"

When I asked for more elaboration on charging he replied:

2) " power up  need 30s,and the charging is about 2 minutes.Fully charged about 15 min."

From this description of the powerup/charging needs of the SU-6, I don't believe my single LPS-1.2 can do the job. However, it sounds like once the supercap circuit is charged the LPS-1.2 could do the job.

The extra cost of another supply precludes my purchase of the SU-6. I doubt the upgrade would be worth the cost. I wish I could figure out how to use a cheap power supply to charge the cap circuit.

1 minute ago, Franatic said:

From this description of the powerup/charging needs of the SU-6, I don't believe my single LPS-1.2 can do the job. However, it sounds like once the supercap circuit is charged the LPS-1.2 could do the job.

Thanks for posting the information from Leter at Singxer.

But from what he wrote I draw the opposite of your two conclusions:

1) He indicates that “Small current needs more time to charge the supercaps,” which I take to mean that a low current capable supply can charge it, but that it will just take longer.

(Though I don’t know how the SU-6 circuit determines the capability of the supply and manages to draw less current so as not to trip our piece into “over-current” mode.  The UpTone UltraCap supplies are different in that unlike typical PS—whose voltage starts to droop as you move past its rating—the LPS-1.2 puts out its full set voltage right up until its software-programmed trip point, and then turns off its output past that.)

2) Leter indicates that the SU-6 draws a constant 1.2A during normal operation.  If that is really the case, then LPS-1.2 units (which each turn off somewhere between 1.12A and 1.19A) will not be sufficient for that converter.  Of course if in reality the SU-6 draws a steady 1A, then an LPS-1.2 would happily power an SU-6.

In the end we probably won’t know for sure until someone who owns an UltraCap supply gets a Singxer SU-6 and tries them together.  Of course our fine JS-2 could easily handle the SU-6 (and additional devices) without breaking a sweat. B|

Thanks SD. Yes, I agree we won't really know until someone tries it. I can wait a bit and hope someone does. 

I first thought the input was 5 volts but now I see the input connector says 7.5>9 volts. Anyway here is the web page.......no reviews I can find yet. Google translate does a good job translating. Perhaps Leter can just reply to me in Chinese and I can translate via google........he may be more understandable that way.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=581802405856&amp;abtest=5&amp;rn=a2f3317be68fde9cc616520b7ca45cdb&amp;sid=9a3d34eb1fdf4d8584650bbfdad7f6fb

34 minutes ago, smodtactical said:

How does the lps 1.2 compare to the sbooster p and p botw mk2 and sps 500 ?

The Mk2 version of the SBooster is very new and I have not seen an reviews/comparisons yet.

With regards the SOtM sPS-500, quite a few people have compared (even to our original LPS-1). A quick search here yielded:

And a couple of others;

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&amp;comment=791296

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&amp;comment=797450

A new question -- at least to me.

I have followed earlier discussion regarding the iFi iPower Ultra-Quiet DC Power Supply and understand it does not offer the improvements some believe it does. However I just received yet another promotional email for it and some of the wording about the iFi led me to a question that goes beyond that product:

"Check the correct polarity setup, ensure the current output is sufficient, then plug in and enjoy."

The issue of polarity -- and how to test it simply -- has long confused me. But I have no idea how it might apply to a power supply. I am using -- and enjoying -- the LPS 1.2. But have I missed something by not checking its polarity? What about something like the SMPS that is shipped with the ISO REGEN or, for that matter, the wall wart supply that comes with a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital DAC?

3 minutes ago, Geoff1954 said:

The issue of polarity -- and how to test it simply -- has long confused me. 

Hi Geoff:

These days (the past 15 years perhaps?) virtually all audio computer peripheral products that run from external DC via a DC-barrel jack (of various sizes) are "center positive."  That is, the center pin of the jack--and therefore the center hole of the plug--is the +DC voltage, while the outer barrel is the ve- (zero-volt, "ground"; ground in quotes because it is not same as earth ground).

As far as I am concerned, any engineer who releases a product with center-"ground" and barrel positive ought to be fired. >:(

So while it is always good to check before plugging in (and of course be sure to check voltage of both device and supply), you really have little to worry about these days regarding DC-barrel polarity.

Hope that helps.

--Alex C.

Alex thanks for your quick reply! Given my level of understanding of these issues, it is good to know I don't need to worry about them too much. I DO know to check to make sure the voltages of two devices are compatible.

So all I remain unsure of is, when you say 

3 minutes ago, Superdad said:

it is always good to check before plugging in

do you mean anything other than voltage compatibility? Is there anything else someone like me should learn to check?

8 minutes ago, Geoff1954 said:

So all I remain unsure of is, when you say 

do you mean anything other than voltage compatibility? Is there anything else someone like me should learn to check?

You can look for one these symbols--on the PS and/or on the DC jack of the device you are powering:

5113f704ce395ffc7d000000.thumb.png.30abb84ca905a6c9d5f33c844679f69a.png

Many firms no longer bother to put the symbols on because center-positive is so completely dominant.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 7:12 AM, darkfrank said:

Hello, does anyone using lps-1.2 to power the JCAT Femto network card? I found the chassis is kinda hot after around 10min. I'm using single port only.

It is quite normal for the UltraCap LPS-1.2 case to get hot during use when output amperage is about 0.8A and above.  Nothing to worry about as even when hot the parts inside are running at less than half their thermal ratings. B|

However, I am pretty sure you will find it takes more than 10 minutes for the LPS-1.2 case to heat up.

Hope you are enjoying our supply with your JCAT card.  How does it sound?

Best wishes,

—Alex

• 3 weeks later...

@Superdad question regarding the charging supply for the LPS-1.2.  I understand there is a strict requirement for 36W.  Right now, i am powering both an LPS-1 and LPS-1.2 from a single 9V output from my HDPlex 400W DC ATX power supply.  According to the HDPlex website the 9V output is only capable of 3A or 27W total, so assuming that spec is accurate I have a few questions:

• Is it possible for the LPS-1.2 to be powered at this lower wattage?  I assume I able to because I am powering my 5V SU-1 with it.  Is this correct?
  • If so, is there any potential to damage the LPS-1.2 by powering it at this lower wattage?
  • Is the 36W requirements only if we are using the LPS-1.2 to power something at 9 or 12V?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments