IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

On 2/23/2018 at 10:12 PM, austinpop said:

I want a meter too! Is this a DIY project requiring soldering or other materials, or can I just buy the Amazon part, and stick the wires into the 3 ports (GVI) in the back?

@austinpop - you have to do it!! It’s really great (looks cool,  it it’s also very useful! I was able to see how much each device draws and then how much both draw together with the Y cable ). 

I bought the device Alex recommended from Amazon (beware, it’s actually a 5 pack, I did t realize) and then you connect black wire into G, red into V and white into I. 

Then I have some of these little note holders on my desk (it’s a cube of lucite with a wire sticking up and an alligator clip on the top), turned out to be the perfect holder for the reader!! 

I’ll bet amazon sells these too and they’ll be very inexpensive I’m sure. I think I got mine from a wedding I attended and they had one on each place setting so you knew what seat you were assigned ? 

79CB8C3C-82E6-4A99-9018-3343F05B0D3E.jpeg

Mine arrived this afternoon!  Out of town till Sunday.  Unfortunately systems in Limbo.  Oppo Sonica off to EVS for a second round of Ric's latest updates.  Dave at Zenwave is building me a new Silver Gold headphone cable.  Also doing his 1.2 upgrade DC cables in OCC silver.  Will be running one LPS 1.2 to my Jcat USB femto card and one to the Iso Regen that came with this.  Will compare to my Ifi Galvanic 3 and my W4S Recovery!   Stay tuned....will be about another week!

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

29 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I want a meter too! Is this a DIY project requiring soldering or other materials, or can I just buy the Amazon part, and stick the wires into the 3 ports (GVI) in the back?

The wires of the meter line up nicely, with the voltage wire already being in the middle of the zipped three wires.  But the wire gauge is thinner than I had hoped, so the header socket—meant for standard 0.1” pitch pins—does not grip or hold the wires.  You might try stripping a bit more insulation off of them and folding/twisting doubled up ends to make them thicker for insertion.  Solder tinning the doubled up wires would help too.  Best of all would be soldering to a matching 3-pin male header, but that’s a bit more work.

John and I are still thinking about our own, similarly size display, designed in such a way that it would just peek up from behind the LPS-1.2.  But we are both busy with other things now, so the cheap Bayite displays will have to do for now.

13 minutes ago, BCRich said:

Gotta say I was impressed with the LPS-1. When the 1.2 was announced I immediately put mine up for sale. It sold in a matter of days. In the interim I was using the sBooster Power Supply with my ultraRendu. While the sound was pleasing it was not in the same league as the LPS-1 in my opinion.

I have had the 1.2 for less than 2 days. I immediately noticed the difference in the Bass information as others have. Over the course of the past day as things settled in I have also noticed improvements in Transients, width of Soundstage, image is sharper in terms of attack, more precise detail and timing. I am a very happy camper!

Thank you Alex & John 

I hooked up my lps-1.2 this morning and immediately noticed the improvement in bass information over the lps-1 and detail over the sbooster.

Will give it a couple more days burn in before commenting on anything else. 

Ade

15194801545661751836955.jpg

2 hours ago, jky999 said:

The difference over the LPS 1 is immediately apparent.  Better bass, better resolution and everything is so much more cohesive.  It's an A/B that takes moments to hear.  Depending upon where you're at in the journey, this one is a no-brainer.  I'd clearly do this before cable changes or source changes.   

The change is very meaningful and not so subtle.  

Nice!  Thanks for posting.  Looks like you have a terrific system there.

B|

On 2/24/2018 at 1:55 AM, Superdad said:

The wires of the meter line up nicely, with the voltage wire already being in the middle of the zipped three wires.  But the wire gauge is thinner than I had hoped, so the header socket—meant for standard 0.1” pitch pins—does not grip or hold the wires.  You might try stripping a bit more insulation off of them and folding/twisting doubled up ends to make them thicker for insertion.  Solder tinning the doubled up wires would help too.  Best of all would be soldering to a matching 3-pin male header, but that’s a bit more work.

John and I are still thinking about our own, similarly size display, designed in such a way that it would just peek up from behind the LPS-1.2.  But we are both busy with other things now, so the cheap Bayite displays will have to do for now.

The wires are much too thin.  I tried stripping and doubling them up as suggested, but really I think that made it worse. As of now if any disturbance at all to the wires or LPS 1.2, they fall out. I have been searching on Amazon for an alternative device, but honestly I don’t 100% know what I’m looking at / need (some have 4 wires , others mention needing a power supply in the path, etc. ). Alex if you have the time (I know you don’t!!) if you find any similar devices on Amazon that would also work, please post a link to them on Amazon for us. Particularly one of the models that comes in a small enclosure vs the bare open back on the Baylite would be preferred (there are a bunch that are enclosed on Amazon, I just don’t know which one of them will work. also, several of the enclosed models show Volts, Amperage, and power/ watt consumption simultaneously, if any of those would work, that would be really cool!! ) 

thanks!! 

@austinpop

Update to LPS 1.2 listening impressions after system running for two+ days:

All I need to say is ..WOW! 

Definitely a huge improvement in my system! 

Better soundstage, airiness, bass definition and details and in general, my entire system is more musical!! 

Set up:

Autender -> Cardas High Speed 2.0 USB -> ISO-REGEN -> USPCB -> IFI Micro iUSB 3.0 -> Custom Split Cardas Highspeed 2.0 USB Y cable (usb A power only / usb A data only) * (both ISO-Regen & IFI Micro iUSB 3.0 being powered by the LPS 1.2 via a ghent Y JSSG DC cable ) -> Mytek Brooklyn DAC. 

Question :

Im currently powering the LPS 1.2 with the enclosed SMPS, I know it’s been said that what you power the LPS 1.2 with makes no difference in sound by some, but I’m curious if others have noticed any improvements by powering it via an LPSU ??? 

10 minutes ago, agladstone said:

If you find any similar devices on Amazon that would also work, please post a link to them on Amazon for us. Particularly one of the models that comes in a small enclosure vs the bare open back on the Baylite would be preferred (there are a bunch that are enclosed on Amazon, I just don’t know which one of them will work. also, several of the enclosed models show Volts, Amperage, and power/ watt consumption simultaneously, if any of those would work, that would be really cool!! ) 

thanks!

A lot of the others won't work because the input voltage range they run from is wrong.  And some of them suck a modest amount of current themselves just to power the display.

Really what is needed (besides a fully custom meter from us) is to attach the wires to a proper 0.1" 3-pin male rectangular pin header so that the Bayite meter can be plugged in securely.  Unfortunately I have yet to find (have not looked for long) a male header with screw terminals for attaching the wires without having to solder.

However, I did just find this header with nice solder cups:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mill-max-manufacturing-corp/380-10-103-00-002000/ED10253-ND/8019516

MFG_380-10-103-00-001000.thumb.jpg.78889f8c931507bd46700dc4a5088cfa.jpg

24 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Update to LPS 1.2 listening impressions after system running for two+ days:

All I need to say is ..WOW! 

Definitely a huge improvement in my system! 

Better soundstage, airiness, bass definition and details and in general, my entire system is more musical!! 

Set up:

Autender -> Cardas High Speed 2.0 USB -> ISO-REGEN -> USPCB -> IFI Micro iUSB 3.0 -> Custom Split Cardas Highspeed 2.0 USB Y cable (usb A power only / usb A data only) * (both ISO-Regen & IFI Micro iUSB 3.0 being powered by the LPS 1.2 via a ghent Y JSSG DC cable ) -> Mytek Brooklyn DAC. 

Question :

Im currently powering the LPS 1.2 with the enclosed SMPS, I know it’s been said that what you power the LPS 1.2 with makes no difference in sound by some, but I’m curious if others have noticed any improvements by powering it via an LPSU ??? 

you got me interested in the lps 1.2.. think i can borrow a set soon for audition...

btw, have you tried the signal chain without the micro iusb?

also iso-regen before and after micro iusb, which 1 sounded better for you?

@Superdad and @JohnSwenson 

I always felt only lukewarm about the LPS-1, but the LPS-1.2 is an entirely different animal.  I know you thought very carefully about the name, but perhaps LPS-2.0 would more accurately reflect the magnitude of the improvement that I am hearing.  You guys really hit a home run with this product!  Thanks for all of your effort.

4 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

@Superdad and @JohnSwenson 

I always felt only lukewarm about the LPS-1, but the LPS-1.2 is an entirely different animal.  I know you thought very carefully about the name, but perhaps LPS-2.0 would more accurately reflect the magnitude of the improvement that I am hearing.  You guys really hit a home run with this product!  Thanks for all of your effort.

The 1.2 is in relation to the fact that the maximum voltage is now 12V.

John S.

It’s taken 4/5 days for my LPS-1.2 x 2 to burn in. I’m using them with a PS Audio LANRover and Iso Regen, replacing 2 x LPS-1. I could talk about increased clarity, weight and texture, but the best way to put it is that you get whatever you were before, but more of it. A worthwhile upgrade. For what it’s worth, I’ve not noticed any difference in temperature, but that’s on the basis of a hand test only. 

I’m using a Chord DAVE, which notwithstanding Rob Watts’ claims, is sensitive to the quality of the upstream signal. In fairness, I don’t think he’s tried any USB devices apart from the Jitterbug, but he does recognise that battery power can improve matters. The DAVE is sensitive to RF on its ground plane. 

10 minutes ago, Colin Green said:

I’m using a Chord DAVE, which notwithstanding Rob Watts’ claims, is sensitive to the quality of the upstream signal. In fairness, I don’t think he’s tried any USB devices apart from the Jitterbug, but he does recognise that battery power can improve matters. The DAVE is sensitive to RF on its ground plane. 

Agree ? it responds to any small change upstream. 

Just wanted to let you know my LPS-1.2 arrived in Malaysia a couple of days ago and at my home at lunchtime today (27th).

Initial observations are mind-blowingly good. I added the Oyaide/Beldon Star-quad DC cable which is yet another level upwards in performance. Been playing non-stop for 8 hours now. No fatigue. Just the odd tear rolls down my cheek from the awesome expression coming through now.

The LPS-1.2 is powering a microRendu into a Chord DAVE dac and Focal Utopia Headphones.

The air around the musical notes and particularly DAVE's strength of accurate timbre just got a whole lot better by communicating the emotion of the music (hence some tears occasionally). The background is now so quiet (or is that "black") that the low level recorded signals of Holly Cole on her Temptation album can be heard to ask somebody "was that alright?" I knew she talks on one track at the end but was always hard to pick out but the voices are so full of texture and placed front-and-centre that these asides from artists are now clearly audible.

Anyway further observations will have to wait as I am off on a short trip tomorrow for 10 or so days.

Cheers and thanks for a great product guys.

GG

7 hours ago, Hauser said:

A couple of questions for Alex:  are case dimensions of LPS 1.2 same as for LPS1?

does LPS 1.2 operate at similar temperature to LPS 1 at same voltage/current?

Exact same case dimensions.

Very similar temperature at a given output voltage/current load (We have done thermal imaging of the boards, but I have not had a chance to "hot soak" for a couple of hours an LPS-1 and LPS-1.2 side by side with 1A load to image/measure the cases.  We already know that an LPS-1 under continuous 1A load will warm to 52C (126F).  As designed for. B|

mine was delivered a few minutes ago so... only took 7 days (including customs clearance), setting a new record! :)

later tonight will set everything up and report

in the while... thank you so much indeed, Alex ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones