IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

1 hour ago, lumos said:

I went with the Ghent Audio connections that John S recommended on this site. 

Please post which Ghent Audio cables John recommends.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

Thanks, just ordered a couple.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

41 minutes ago, lumos said:

Though by all accounts Ghent Audio cables are well made and are certainly reasonably priced, I don't off-hand recall John commenting either favourably or unfavourably about them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What I do remember is Alex complaining about the company using the acronym JSSG in its advertising. The point seems reasonable given that the source of the acronym is not acknowledged and that Uptone sells its own cables.

Dave

I started scanning John's entire DC power cable thread but at page 11 I just went to my email and looked ups my orders for the link. I thought that this cable was recommended on that thread but if I am mistaken I apologise to John. I also had it in my memory that I once saw a Ghent Audio cable offered on the Uptone site, but I could not see that today.

I have bought several cables from Ghent since I first saw that link and i have had great service from them and all the ables are well made and I have no problems with their performance. 

I use the LPS-1.2 into Ultra Rendu into Chord Qutest or Hugo2 into Mjölnir Audio KGSSHV Carbon electrostatic amp into Stax 007 mk2.

57 minutes ago, Ryelands said:

I don't off-hand recall John commenting either favourably or unfavourably about them.

+1

57 minutes ago, Ryelands said:

the acronym JSSG ... the source of the acronym is not acknowledged

Yes, think came from unknown overexcited CA experimenter. & is IMO stupid less-then-effective acronym! (shield guidelines?)

I only use acronym 'JSSS' for John Swenson's 'Shorted Shield' which is what is all about, so better name (IMO). Same for 'JSSS-360'.

Also not as confusing when used with 'JSGT' (John Swenson's Ground Tweak (tweak?)).

I use another JS related acronym, 'JSTS' for John Swenson Transformer Snubber circuit.

From what I read in posts @JohnSwenson not care much about these acronyms :)

Welcome all to use these acronyms for quicker writing, better comprehension, on CA posts.

20 minutes ago, look&listen said:

Yes, think came from unknown overexcited CA experimenter

IIRC it was @R1200CL who promoted Ghent repeatedly.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

It looks like a well made cable at a great price. I'm sure its an upgrade over the stock cable.

I don't think the DC01 is JSSG or JSSG360.  It's Canare 4S6 star quad.  Then there is DC-4S6(JSSG) and DC-GAC4 which is JSSG360.  John Swenson never endorsed anything made by Ghent.  Ghent just used his idea.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Excellent overview, thanks Alex.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Good afternoon gentlemen:

I'll jump in to clear up a couple of things (John is away on an Alaskan cruise ship for a week plus development work has been keeping him mostly off the forum anyway):

You are correct. John has never "endorsed" any commercially terminated DC cable, nor has UpTone ever offered a cable made by anyone else.  I do offer--but have yet to create a web page for--a shielded star-quad (4 x 18awg conductors) cable made with Belden 9418 and the original long-style Oyaide plugs, the only ones practicable for use with large wire gauge. These cables--stocked only at 1.5m with 5.5mm x 2.5mm both ends, 5.5mm x 2.5mm to 5.5mm x 2.1mm, and a 0.5m length with 5.5mm x 2.1mm both ends--do not employ the so-called "JSSG" Faraday shield loop.  I have been offering the longer versions of these cables for 4 years--primarily for inclusion with our big JS-2 LPS.

About 16 months ago--after much discussion between John and me, wherein we both decided we did not particularly want to be in the cable business--John detailed, in his thread about the inductance-lowering advantages of star-quad topology for DC cables, his concept and the electrical mechanisms behind independently connecting a wire to the far ends of a cable's outer shield, to form a proper Faraday cage around the wire.  Here is the specific post: 

The method seems to be particularly effective at keeping out radiated low-frequency AC leakage--the sort that is running around a lot behind and between system components.

The 360-degree method, first suggested and implemented by our friend Larry Mitchell (lmitche here at CA), is in some ways a simpler (and certainly neater) incarnation, whereby a second braided shield, insulated from the first, is used instead of a external wire.  But AFAIK the "360" is no more or less effective than just the loop wire.

Back to clearing up and airing out our feelings (at least mine, JS can offer his at a later date if he chooses) regarding the private and commercial use of the "JSSG" trick:

First of all, it is not as if John truly invented something here.  Michael Faraday invented the "Faraday cage" in 1836!  But even close readings of the extensive material on cable shielding (by researchers, academics, and wire companies) does not yield much if any discussion of connecting shields in this way to form Faraday cages.  Most all the literature seems to be focused on shielding to keep out very high frequency interference.

By most accounts--at least measured by the DIY enthusiasm and some commercial adoption of the technique in the past year--John's intent in promoting the concept and implementation has been a wild success.  So in this regard, the spirit of John's generosity in sharing his knowledge and ideas with the audio community has been amply rewarded.  Well rewarded simply in recognition of its efficacy--not at all with any financial renumeration. ^_^

Which I guess brings me to Ghent Audio of China:

I have teased @R1200CL for consistently feeding Ghent product ideas gleaned from John (now a whole lineup of "JSSG" cables of all sorts), and then for repeatedly promoting Ghent cables here in the UpTone forum (as well as elsewhere on CA). But Andreas (R1200CL) promises that he himself receives nothing from Ghent and I believe him. Though I confess it would have been nice to once receive a note from Ghent or an offer of a product sample...

Anyway, we put the JSSG concept out into the public space, so there should be no surprise or bitterness about enterprising companies latching onto it. At least Ghent sort of credits John by tagging the models as JSSG. (As does @PeterSt--even more explicitly--with his new Lush^2 version of his terrific USB cable, https://stordiau.com/products/lush-2-usb-audio-cable.)

And there are a couple of reasons that I am grateful for Ghent's presence and offerings:

a) We often receive requests from UltraCap LPS and JS-2 buyers for a quality DC 'Y'-cable.  Such things are a nightmare to build--especially with decent star-quad wire--and Ghent Audio offers custom (choose plug sizes, choose length) 'Y'-cables at a very reasonable price.  I am sure I have referred at least 60 people to them for 'Y'-cables.

b) Not everyone is interested in DIYing their own DC cables.  Ghent's prices are very reasonable and I read reports of good service.

Okay, I have gone on long enough, but I do want to mention my own experience this past week with the 24-inch JSSG360'ed Gotham Audio DC cable that @lmitche made for me as a gift.  He actually sent it over a month ago, I have just been too busy to try it out--and embarrassing full disclosure, this is my very first listening to a JSSG'ed DC cable in my system.

I tried it in just a couple of locations, between an UltraCap LPS-1.2 and my @scan80269-modified Singxer SU-1, and between an LPS-1.2 and my microRendu (which feeds an ISO REGEN).  In the first case it was inserted in place of my 5-foot Oyaide/Belden star-quad, in the second it was in place of the stock 27-inch 16awg coax DC cable that we have always shipped with the UltraCap supplies (this was part of a "reminder" listening session wherein I replicate a typical buyer's "out-of-box" first experience with our products).

Larry's Gotham cable did nice things for the SU-1, but I was not at all prepared for the magnitude of difference it made as the cable for the microRendu!  Bass depth and detail, and a thing with Nina Simone's voice (intentionally) changing phase and character during a song, plus a few spooky leap-away-from-the-speaker ventriloquist moments left me reeling.  A DC cable? Really?!  Now I want these cables to go from my two other LPS-1.2 units to the ISO REGEN and the SU-1.  But there are probably technical reasons why it made the most difference with the microRendu.

The Gotham wire is physically very different from other shielded star-quad cables (look up the exploded view of the cable and you will see a lot of different shields and they use some unique materials), and I have no idea how much its construction does or does not make it perform versus any other JSSG'ed DC cable (as I admitted, this is the only one I have tried personally).  I know Larry has built a number of cables and like the Gotham wire a LOT.  However, John still contends that the most important elements for a DC cable are just the inductance-lowering star-quad topology, appropriate wire gauge for the current (and/or very short lengths), dielectric properties (dissipation, absorption, etc.), and the shielding.

Ghent Audio is offering a JSSG360 version of the Gotham wire, but until someone buys one and dissects it, we won't know for sure if they connected the shields in same way as Larry did for the cable I am listening to.  As mentioned, the Gotham can be a confusing cable and I could see the terminations being done in several ways.  Maybe I'll send Ghent a message about getting one.

Time for lunch!  :D

--Alex C.

Thanks Alex. That's would be great to have a Ghent cable with the specs from Larry. Unless of course Larry decides to enter in a new business. I am a client! ?

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Larry's Gotham cable did nice things for the SU-1, but I was not at all prepared for the magnitude of difference it made as the cable for the microRendu!  Bass depth and detail, ...

I can assure you that the Ghent Gotham JSSG also offers a huge magnitude of difference to my LPS-1.2 powered UltrRendu particularly through the Shunyata Research Denali filtration power system. The bass definition and musicality is the most noticeable followed by prominent but ultra smooth yet detailed highs. The coherent musical presentation at seemingly all frequencies is so natural and those timbres of acoustic instruments make the performance palpable.

Regards

GG

MCRU is also a top choice! I'm all silver in cables anyway... except for the Hurricanes!

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

On 9/3/2018 at 2:24 PM, Superdad said:

Larry's Gotham cable did nice things for the SU-1, but I was not at all prepared for the magnitude of difference it made as the cable for the microRendu!  Bass depth and detail, and a thing with Nina Simone's voice (intentionally) changing phase and character during a song, plus a few spooky leap-away-from-the-speaker ventriloquist moments left me reeling.  A DC cable? Really?!  Now I want these cables to go from my two other LPS-1.2 units to the ISO REGEN and the SU-1.  But there are probably technical reasons why it made the most difference with the microRendu.

Well that sealed the deal for me.  I am going to have to try this now.  I hope the Ghent cable implementation is identical to what @lmitche did with this cable for Alex.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I bought the Ghent Gotham JSSG 360, for my main system, installed between my LPS 1.2 and UltraRendu.  It was good, but I preferred my silver DC cable.  I didn't care much for what it did to high frequencies (I found it introduced some glare/hardness to the treble, which is a non-starter for me), but other sonic aspects were very good.

I then loaned this cable to AustinPop and he also preferred his silver DC cable to the Ghent Gotham.   

My Ghent Gotham now resides in my office setup, powering an Iso Regen, where it is working fine, but I need to do some comparisons in that setup to my Ghent DC-04, as I am still thinking I am not in love with the treble.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

6 minutes ago, Blake said:

I bought the Ghent Gotham JSSG 360, for my main system, installed between my LPS 1.2 and UltraRendu.  It was good, but I preferred my silver DC cable.  I didn't care much for what it did to high frequencies (I found it introduced some glare/hardness to the treble, which is a non-starter for me), but other sonic aspects were very good.

I then loaned this cable to AustinPop and he also preferred his silver DC cable to the Ghent Gotham.   

My Ghent Gotham now resides in my office setup, powering an Iso Regen, where it is working fine.

Blake, do you mind letting me know where you purchased the silver DC cable?  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

11 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Blake, do you mind letting me know where you purchased the silver DC cable?  

Hi Tommy, it is from Revelation Audio Labs, but honestly, I would not order from them because I have heard of others ordering from them and never receiving product.  I am one of the lucky ones.  My cable was a special "one-off" super build he did for me for organizing a group buy.  It is great, but I don't want anyone to be disappointed.  

Austinpop mentions the maker of his silver cable in the "novel way to massively improve.." thread.  I seem to recall it was a Canadian company?

Check your pm's, since I know you well, I would be happy to lend the Gotham to you if you would like.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

7 minutes ago, Blake said:

Austinpop mentions the maker of his silver cable in the "novel way to massively improve.." thread.  I seem to recall it was a Canadian company?

@tboooe Tommy, my experience with DC cables has been that both shielding and material/geometry matter. So far, to my ears the best SQ I've achieved (surpassing the Ghent Gotham JSSG 360) is with the following:

1. Audio Sensibility https://audiosensibility.com/blog/sotm-audio/#!/Signature-Silver-DC-Cable/p/102469015
  2. On top of that, I've applied my own DIY JSSG 360 treatment, as described here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&amp;comment=836649

9 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi guys:

I'm as guilty as the rest of you in discussing the JSSG stuff and DC cables, but I think it's gotten to the point where I should ask that DC cable discussions carry on in some new thread somewhere.  This is ostensibly the UltraCap LPS-1.2 power supply thread. :D

Thanks.

--Alex C.

P.S.  One parting shot though: The web page for that Audio Sensibility cable claims that the Oyaide DC plugs are phosphor-bronze (that's an alloy of copper, tin, and phosphorus).  But the Oyaide plugs most definitely are not.  They are gold-plated brass (copper & zinc). Just keepin' it real...:P

Oops sorry for OT post.  :D