IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

1 hour ago, hifiveharry said:

Does anyone have the new supply on both the UltraRendu and the IsoRegen yet?

Meaning powering both at once with a lps1.2, or ...?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, pl_svn said:

by "veeery long" I was actually meaning something *looking* as 30-40sec. will try timing it next time I have to turn everything off ;)

Chord Qutest + LPS 1.2 replaced an already great combo: 2Qute powered from a JS-2

differences are not night and day but definitely there: most perceivable ones are much "sharper" soundstage and instruments separation and way deeper, with much better control, bass :)

Tried the Qutest with the JS-2? 

austinpop has been admiring the latter with dacs ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 4 months later...

Excellent overview, thanks Alex.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried any Herbies, by way of comparison ...?

• 3 weeks later...

Budget uptick here! - on the original lps1, Herbies Tenderfeet + Supersonic Stabiliser.

• 8 months later...

Yep, had them under everything for about 5 years now. Even better on some items with the SuperSonic Stabiliser on top, ie dac, rendu, regen - though benefit is just as likely derived from the mass.

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2018 at 3:23 PM, azupan75 said:

I believe Lps-1.2 works with Chord Qutest and 2Qute dacs. But I am more interested if anyone tried RME ADI 2 dac. According to specs should work

br, Andrej

This was asked a while back, without reply ...? So, clarification on this RME dac - it’s wanting 9.5V to 15V ie 12V fine, but too high amps?

3 hours ago, lmitche said:

Yes. I tried powering the RME DAC with the LPS1.2 and it wouldn't play. It must take a fair bit of current to keep that display glowing. It didn't sound musical with the stock supply, so I returned it.

Returned dac or just stock supply? Mine sounds good with a local Oz lpsu, using it in direct dsd to 256 mode - a step up on the idsd I had. Might go to the js-2 ... should be better again.

Also, assuming you can turn display off? Manual info is a bit clunky ...

10 hours ago, lmitche said:

It seemed there is no way to keep the display powered off during the boot process. Once past the initial boot process the display can be set to turn off automatically.

Right, yes, that’s the critical point, re the use of the lps1.2.

Interesting our different views on the idsd & rme - I run the rme in pure dsd mode, upsampling all to 256, a la Miska advice (will have to upgrade computer to go to new hqp ec modulators ...).

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Blake said:

Hi Alex,

I seem to be having an issue with my LPS 1.2.  It has been powering my UltraRendu.  The other day I wasn't getting any sound, and I checked the UltraRendu and it was not getting any power.  I then checked the LPS 1.2 and noticed the LED light was solid red/orange (I know it is supposed to go Red, then Orange, then Green, so I assume it is Red, but it looks more red/orange to me).  I unplugged the charging unit and then plugged it in again, the red/orange LED comes on, but it just stays the same color.  I also tried turning the power button on and off on the LPS 1.2, but that is not working.

Any ideas?

The LPS-1.2 normally drives the ultraRendu without problem?

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, afrancois said:

I did install my Mofi Ultradeck some time ago with a Pro-Ject Phono preamp with digital out. As my amplifiers are fully digital, I need an ADC.

I found this Pro-Ject to be not good enough. The analog pre-amplification was later done with a Radial J33 connected to the line input of the Pro-Ject. Much better especially when powering the J33 with an LPS-1.2.

Yesterday I throw out the Pro-Ject for an RME ADI-2 FS. To my surprise the sound was a lot worse. I did no longer use an LPS-1.2 in this setup. My mistake!

Long story, short. I'm now powering the J33 and RME ADI-2 FS with an LPS1.2. WOW!

At high but comfortable volume , I'm having virtually no noise when the needle is lifted. This was not the case with the Pro-Ject.

I can however hear a recharging noise of the LP1.2 in my speakers when I almost put my head inside of them. Negligible, but there's room for improvement 🙂

The J33 + LPS1.2 is a killer phono stage. I think you will need a phono stage of at least 2000$ to beat this combination.

My understanding was that the lps-2 couldn’t power the RME cos of this dac’s hungry power-up cycle?

Got it ... assumed you meant the ADI 2 FS dac ... I was hoping you’d found a way re the dac & lps1.2!

Apart from 2x lps1.2!!

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Hi Larry:

Congrats on your RME purchase!

It has been a lot day, so without going into all the details of why, here is how I suggest you power using the (3 total outputs of) JS=2 and UltraCap LPS-1.2 you have:

RME ADI-2 at 12V on one JS-2 output;

ISO REGEN at 7V on the other JS-2 output;

microRendu at 7V on the UltraCap LPS-1.2.

The above will preserve the galvanic isolation of the ISO REGEN and also give the microRendu the lowest output impedance power supply--which it really likes.

Do let us know if you have any other questions. We are always here to assist.

Best,

--Alex C.

Pretty much the same here, except lps1.1 on IR. So, a spare js-2 output for what?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/17/2020 at 3:28 AM, Superdad said:

Hi Dave:

Series connection of our UltraCap units works great! In fact, Ghent Audio produces a very nice, series-wired 'Y' cable just for that purpose:

http://ghentaudio.com/part/dc19.html

:)

Such a series will enable 24V ... & 2x 1.1 = 2.2amps?