IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

IHi, I'm getting two ultracap 1.2's and 1 ultracap 1. They'll be powering a fmc, microrendu and a 2qute dac. Reading about how they're 100% galvanic isolated from the mains and doesn't necessarily likes filtering, would my idea about using a grounded unfiltered power strip into a dedicated line be a good approach? This dedicated line will be used for the 3 ultracaps only and my integrated on another dedicated line. In theory the quality of the power strip, plugs, cable etc shouldn't really affect the SQ? It's an ok quality kemp strip but obviously not top of the line. Best regards Steffen

Also, reading about how it prefers the generic cable it comes with.. and I live in Europe. There's anything special about this generic cable or will any generic cable do the trick? I could cut it and add a schuko plug.. but then there's the question if the different plug will affect anything? I know I may be nitpicking here 😉... I'd just like to get everything set up the best way I can 😊

18 minutes ago, Superdad said:

The mains power cord on the charger should make no difference whatsoever.  But having a good low-impedance connection to AC mains ground is important. Direct into the wall, or into a filter which does not impede the ground are both best.

I'll experiment with it once I get them 😊 I'm hoping to get a good result when using the dedicated line with only ultracaps. Oh well, there's a possibility the ground is dirty and such. I'm using a ground master to ground signal/chassis, but I guess the only way is to wait and see what happens. A couple of aftermarket pc's had to go in order to finance the ultracaps, so I'm hoping for the best. It's been quite a while since I've had any generic cables in the system 😉

• 1 month later...

Hi, has anyone tried powering a fmc+switch with an ultracap 1 or 1.2? The fmc is rated 6-9v 0.6A. The switch (netgear gs108 v3) is rated 12v 1A but works fine with 7v from ultracap 1. The switch will only be used for cable in from fmc and cable out to microrendu. I've recently fried a diy linear psu when powering two devices so I'm a bit reluctant. Any chance of frying anything by trying? A low amperage budget switch would be nice if anyone know of one?

9 minutes ago, Ryelands said:

I've used the LPS-1 to power EITHER a switch (Zyxel 10/100 ES105a w upgraded Vregs, sonically better than but comparable load-wise with your Netgear) OR an FMC (TP-Link or DeLocker) but using it to power the two together was not succesful. The load as measured was IIRC within the LPS-1 spec but, for whatever reason, the units wouldn't power up. I seem to recall that switching one device on before the other did work but it was a while back.

I'm now using a different approach (not appropriate to discuss here) but, though it works well enough and sounds excellent, it's not, as they say, entirely hassle-free. Using two LPS-1s was fine (and also sounded excellent) but, as a permanent solution, too expensive esp as I'm hoping to try the EtherRegen when my funds and UpTone's supplies permit.

It might be worth your while experimenting with "sequential switching". That said, even though the LPS-1 has robust overload protection, I'd first use a DVM to check the max load.

HTH

Dave

Thanks, I'll forget about it and try a different approach. Come to think of it I guess a 12v 1A device running at 7v is already overload, and adding another 0.6A device is probably just asking for trouble. I'll try and move the fmc to another circuit with a ground shunt.

• 8 months later...

Hi, I'm getting a kingrex uc384 converter that's supposed to draw 7.5v 200mA.

I'm already using a lps 1.2 to power a microrendu so I thought maybe, if I'm lucky, the lps 1.2 would be able to power both?

I guess there's only one way to find out, but would it be safe to try? I've fried a psu while powering two devices a while back.. so thought I'd ask before trying 😉