IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

Hi, 3 days ago I received Lps-1.2 which replaced my LPS-1 feeding mR and ultraDigital via Y split DC cable. For 3days everything was super, when LPS-1.2 suddenly stopped feeding current to hooked up mR & ultraDigital yet the light on LpS-1.2 was yellow which meant supplied original Smps properly fed the unit. When replaced with lps-1 everthying worked fine again. What could be the cause? Smps? I had trouble before with IFi smps which died on lps-1,but the led then was not lit yellow like in this case, and yes the power button is pressed in on lps-1.2 unit. Alex any ideas what could be wrong?

thanks 

Andy

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

First thing to try is is to disconnect everything from the output of the LPS-1.2, power the unit off until the LED goes dark, and then power it on again--still with no devices connected to the output.  If you just had it on, it will take a while (as much as 2 minutes if it was just one) to first discharge (to go from red to orange).  Observe the LED during booting.  Does it go from red to orange and then to (yellowish) green?

If it makes it to green, then try attaching just the microRendu (assuming you have LPS-1.2 set to 7V) and then seeing if the microRendu boots (of course you have to have network cable attached as the Ethernet jack LEDs are the only indicators on a mR).

One important note about using the LPS-1.2 with the microRendu:  

The microRendu is the only device we have seen that does not like the few milliseconds of final voltage ramp time of the LT3045 regulators now used in the LPS-1.2.  That is, when the LPS-1.2 is charged up and turns on the output regs, the voltage does not go from zero to 7 volts instantaneously.  It takes a few thousandths of a second to ramp up for the first time--and the microRendu does not respond to this for some reason.  The solution is simply to first boot the LPS-1.2--all the way to green--with the microRendu not plugged into it--and to then plug the microRendu.

So there is a chance that the problem you are having is not at all with the LPS-1.2 itself--you may just need to reconnect power to the microRendu last.  Since you say your original LPS-1 has no problem with powering both the mR and the ultraDigital, it certainly is not an issue of over-current demand.

Please let us know what you discover after trying and considering the above.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

Alex, here are some new observations. When powering on LPS-1.2 the colours turn from red to yellowgreen in less than 15s and when powering down instantaneously  from yellowgreen to red (no orange). I also noticed lps-1.2 is completely cold to the touch , which I’m guessing means ultracapacitors aren’t charging/ discharging at all. That is why I had suspicions of Smps failure yet cannot confirm it cause I don’t have any other compatible 7-24V (36w) charger. Nevertheless smps when plugged in an outlet has a green led light on as if operational (but is also cold to the touch). I don’t recall whether it should get warm or not when properly working. Of course I was unable to feed mR or uD separately with LPS-1.2 . uD has a red led which turns on immediately  when connected to lps-1, yet no light when connected to lps-1.2.   Smps is plugged into Aq Niagara 1000 which protects from voltage fluctuations so smps failure in such short time would seem odd.

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

That is completely normal.

Well if you do not have a load (device drawing current from the LPS) attached, then the unit will indeed be completely cool.  So again, normal.

With the ultraDigital, Is that directly with the stock black 16awg coax DC cable we ship with the LPS-1.2, or its it with the 'Y' cable?

Is the LED on the UltraCap LPS-1.2 green?  Do you have a little voltage multimeter you can check the output with?

Let's please pick this up off the forum.  Contact us directly via the Contact Us page on our web site.  If your unit has failed we of course will want to replace it.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

In all cases explained above lps-1.2 was attached either to mR or uD with separate DC cable (not Ysplit). Tried all sorts of combinations , yet although lps-1.2 shows green light none of devices are charging. Tried separately charging mR with LPS-1 and uD with LPS-1.2 ( no Y cable used). mR was drawing power, while uD did not (no light). When LPS-1.2  was replaced by LPS-1 uD red led lit up again (sign of charging). As explained all worked normal for 3 days. At all times lps-1.2’ s led was lit yellowgreen. Unfortunately no voltage meter at hand to check output side. But empirically It is clearly  problem on lps-1.2 side.

This is my last post here. Just wanted to finish for all following

the topic.

I will post back here how the problem was solved.

best regards,

Andy

• 1 month later...

Very good questions? Basically we need new thread with inputs from users and/or Alex what devices reliably work with LPS-1 or/and LPS-1.2 . Some info is provided on this and other forums but is rather scattered.

I believe Lps-1.2 works with Chord Qutest and 2Qute dacs. But I am more interested if anyone tried RME ADI 2 dac. According to specs should work

br, Andrej

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sahmen said:

Thanks for confirming those Teradaks, Superdad!  Although, If no sonic improvements are to be had from this operation, then I'd rather not bother with them at all.  The Meanwell SMPS that normally comes with the LPS-1.2 will have to suffice. ☺️

IME removing all smps from audio chain will aid your system as a whole since most smps have negative effect on power cuircuits elsewhere in audio gear (i.e.: preamps especially). Clean power is a must. It is the most important component and most difficult to attain.

BR, Andrej

I succesfully used lps-1 to power multiple units. Not so with lps -1.2. I tried and had to replace the unit due to failure. Yet won’t experiment multiple powering again with the replacement unit. Lps-1 I fully trust, with lps -1.2  I’m staying on the safe side. Just my experience. With others may differ.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the procedure Alex will ask you to do follows: Check if there is any current on the output side. Since there is current on the input side (green led means ultracapacitors are loading) you may have to replace the unit due to output stage failure. Don’t worry same happened to me. You can find my previous posts. Alex was very friendly and immediately sent replacement unit. But it does set worse track record than original lps-1 regarding reliability, probably due to more complex design -output stage seems to be the weak link.

Perhaps a little off topic, but Steve would you be so kind to share your system setup esp. powering part ( power cables, grounding equipment, other Shunyata eq. and how it is set up) Would much appreciate it. I use combination of Audioquest and Shunyata and find great synergy. Truthfully after I conditioned my system with Shunyata power cables I am not shure if adding any of these usb decrapifiers actually made much difference, if any.

On 8/6/2018 at 1:17 AM, stevebythebay said:

Starting from the wall the circuits are 20a. From there I run a Shunyata Denali with their HC power cable from one receptacle. The other receptacle feeds a Shunyata DPC-6. For grounding I run a non-active Synergistic grounding block. It is wired to one of the two grounding screws on the Denali. I run separate grounding cables from the grounding block to inputs of the Berkeley DAC, dCS Network Bridge, Spectral preamp, Synergistic Research tranquility base, and the D-Link switch. 

The Spectral preamp and mono blocks us MIT Oracle Z-cord 3 power cables. The Berkeley Ref. 2 DAC and dCS use Synergistic Research active power cables. Also, from a power perspective I use a Synergistictic Research Transporter Ultra to power the many active SR bullets attached to both interconnects and power cables from the company. 

To to be complete, the Denali powers the analogue devices (including the DAC which encompasses both digital and analogue functions). The DPC-6 handles everything else, all digital in nature including a QNAP NAS and Roon Nucleus music player. 

I agree that it can be quite important to avoid mixing differing vendor technologies if you can. Even with networking tech. I’ve found that Ethernet cables from different vendors may well negate each other based on differing cable design decisions and even connectors.  As for USB, I’ve studiously avoided their use based on past experience. No sense adding electrical noise in the system, only having to put band-aids on after the fact. Keeping things as simple as possible also helps with any problem determination going forward. 

Thank you Steve for detailed schematics and experience of introducing different gear in your audio chain and must agree with you that in my experience as well adding any usb device in digital chain is more likely to induce more distortion esp. electrical than trying to avoid it alltogheter by going ethernet-aes/i2s even toslink proved to have astounding dynamics, timbre and virtually no noise compared to usb provided correct/quallity optical cable is used. Currently I am considering Simaudio streamer offerings which are to be stellar for the price according to reviews at least. 

Great to see non-biased and frank view on the subject from an experienced computer -audiophile.

best regards,

Andrej

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, littlecx said:

Just got my lps-1.2. i found that it is quite hot when running. is it normal?

It is a design choice Uptone made to allow for higher voltages in lps-1.2 (9, 12v). To keep temperature down use the highest voltage allowed for your device since lps-1.2 set to lowest voltage turns huge amounts to heat and I had two units (lps 1.2 ) failed and replaced. Had  no problem with lps-1 though which doesn’t allow for voltages higher than 7V and therefore doesn’t generate so much heat. Lps-1.2 is best served on dacs with 9-12v inputs (up to 1.1 A) for unit longevity sake. Of course that is my experience with the lps-1 and lps-1.2. 

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

what you say about it running cooler at lower voltages is NOT true. (

Sorry Alex to have provoked you but I made no such claim, quite the opposite. Due to the fact lps-1.2 is specified up to 12v it is when set at lower voltages it generates more heat since residual power ( unused by attached device )is dissipated as heat. i.e.: device attached draws only 1A * 7v = 7 watts while lps-1.2 clearly generates at least 12v *1.1A but likely a lot more since 36w power supply is required to run lps-1.2. Ergo,the lower voltage setting the more power VA are converted to heat. Of course since Amperage is one factor in VA equation it depends on amperage how much excess heat is dissipated. It in no way disproves my claim lps-1.2 runs hotter due to the fact of differences in required and provided voltage. Maximum amperage is always constant no matter the voltage 1,1 A max. So it is down to voltage difference that at full load (1,1 A) presents difference in watts provided and watts actually used rest needs to dissipate as heat. Yes, units may be quality made to withstand that as you claim, but was not proven in practice till now. Will report how it goes with my 3rd unit I just received as a replacement or hopefully not.

With respects,

Andrej