IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

On 6/25/2018 at 9:56 PM, Geoff1954 said:

@Superdad

I guess I was. But it was not a purposeful choice. Let me review how I got to this point.

When I first bought my Explorer DAC I did not own a microRendu. In the room where I wanted to use the E2 I had no computer at all. At that time I was using an iPad as a Roon end point. But as I think you know, the E2 needs power that it generally draws from a USB connection to a computer. Neither the iPad nor my iPhone could provide enough power to the E2. Then I realized -- remember this is months ago -- that if I could connect the E2 to the ISO REGEN that could offer it the power it needed, even thought there was no computer in the chain. It worked perfectly. So I guess, from that moment one I was running the E2 from 7.5V -- if that's what the SMPS that came with the ISO REGEN provides.

It was only when the microRendu and the LPS 1.2 arrived (roughly simultaneously) that I began to have difficulties. As you know you and I both expected I could power the microRendu and the ISO REGEN with the LPS 1.2. And we assumed the E2 could continue to get the power it needs via the ISO REGEN -- now powered by the LPS not its original SMPS.

Again as you know, that did not work. The only workaround was to continue to use the SMPS to power the ISO REGEN while using the LPS to power the microRendu. That did work. So at that point I guess I was again "running the Explorer 2 DAC from 7.5V."

Is there any possibility that could cause some damage to the E2? That seems unlikely because remember, I started using the ISO REGEN/E2 DAC combination months ago when it was the only choice I had.

Now turning to your new (to me) suggestion:

Starting with the equipment I own now, are you suggesting I try powering the ISO REGEN connected to the E2 with the LPS 1.2? I assume that means the microRendu can run without any power supply at all? Or I could consider using the SMPS that came with the ISO REGEN for the microRendu, as I used it for the ISO REGEN/E2 combination. Or would be too much for the MIcroRendu?

If I purchase the Pro-Ject, and should it turn out that all three devices cannot be powered by the LPS 1.2, then according to this idea I would again use the LPS for the ISO REGEN/DAC combination and either nothing or the SMPS for the microRendu?

Thanks for your patience Alex. I hope I have not muddled this up beyond all recognition...

@Geoff1954 -- you're actually not using 7.5 v on the e2 dac. what's happening is that the iso regen is trying to provide 5 v via usb (usb is always 5v) to the e2.  it can't do it because the lps1.2 is trying to power the microrendu, the iso regen, and the e2 dac but is being asked to provide more than 1 amp (it's max output) to power the three devices.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
5 minutes ago, Geoff1954 said:

@jcn3
Thanks. Not to muddle things further but...When I tried to use the LPS 1.2 to power the MicroRendu and the ISO REGEN (attached to the E2) both, it didn't work. That is the E2 did not work. I only solved that by using the SMPS that came with the ISO REGEN to power that and the E2. At that point the LPS 1.2 was only powering the microRendu. It was no longer attached to the ISO REGEN at all.

I just don't have enough technical knowledge to discuss this intelligently here. That's why I'm going to accept Alex's generous offer of a  one-to-one phone session to work this out in practice. :D

it's really not that you're powering both the microrendu and the iso regen -- you're powering the microrendu AND the iso regen AND the e2 with the lps 1.2.  if you tried another dac that was self-powered (i.e. it has a power plug), i bet you wouldn't have the problem.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
On 6/28/2018 at 7:12 PM, Geoff1954 said:

No. You're not understanding me. When I try to power all three together, the E2 does not work, does not function, I get no music

Actually, I do. The lps 1.2 doesn't seem to have the ability to provide enough current at 7.5v to power all three.

I like the idea of switching the output to 9v - that might work. 

Good luck.

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Blake said:

Hi Alex,

I seem to be having an issue with my LPS 1.2.  It has been powering my UltraRendu.  The other day I wasn't getting any sound, and I checked the UltraRendu and it was not getting any power.  I then checked the LPS 1.2 and noticed the LED light was solid red/orange (I know it is supposed to go Red, then Orange, then Green, so I assume it is Red, but it looks more red/orange to me).  I unplugged the charging unit and then plugged it in again, the red/orange LED comes on, but it just stays the same color.  I also tried turning the power button on and off on the LPS 1.2, but that is not working.

Any ideas?

try another power supply to confirm the power supply is not the issue (instead of the lps-1.2)

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, edwardsean said:

I have a LPS1.2 and I want to power my IsoRegen but also an SOTM unit. Can I just split the wire and power both units? 

The SOTM unit runs at 9V. Should I set the LPS1.2 at 9V, even though I'm powering both units?

Will there be a loss of sound quality doing it this way? 

I think you'll exceed the current capability of the lps1.2 trying to drive both - it can only provide a little over 1 amp.