IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

Apologies if this was covered above. I looked but did not see it.

The  Wyred 4 Sound PS 1 is a little more expensive than the LPS 1.2, but can power up to 4 devices. Could Alex, John or anyone else offer an explanation for why they believe the LPS 1.2 is a better purchase?

Many thanks.

I'm still trying to understand this...

Let me say first that based on my experience with the ISO REGEN and the unmatched (not to mention patient) customer support Alex offers to go with it, that I have enormous confidence in his products and recommendations. But as Alex knows from an earlier email exchange, I am considering purchase of the Pro-ject S2 Digital DAC. So I am trying to understand if the Wyred 4 Sound PSU offers an advantage because it has been designed to power more than one device.

Thanks again for any further explanation anyone can offer. And for the patience. 

Excellent point! I have thought about that myself -- more than once. I bought the ISO REGEN for use with a much more expensive DAC, a Bel Canto 2.5, which I still use. So my original thought about the power supply is for the ISO REGEN in that combination. But I also want a DAC that plays MQA files. Alex has told me the LPS 1.2 may power both the ISO REGEN and the Pro-ject when used together.

• 2 weeks later...

My LPS 1.2 just arrived and I notice one odd  behavior that I don't understand.

I have it plugged in to a microRendu. I do not leave the power turned on over night. When I push the LPS power button it goes green. However the power lights on the microRendu do NOT light up, even if I wait a few minutes. To see the lights on the microRendu I need to unplug the LPS from the other device and plug it back in again. Then the two lights on the microRendu come on.

Is this normal? Does it indicate I have done something wrong? Thanks!

Thanks Alex and John. Now if I can only get the web page to control my microRendu to open!

(When I go to http://sonicorbiter.com my microRendu is recognized. But every attempt to manage the device from that page fails because the page never loads. Over and over again it times out. I've written to Small Green Computer and hope to receive an answer. But if anyone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it, I'd appreciate the advice. Apologies as I know this is NOT related to the LPS 1.2.)

Best bet I’ve found is to power everything down from server on up, unplug their rendu entirely, and then start over. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but it didn't work. I am using ZyXel powerline adaptors. They show green lights. The device is recognized when using them. But it cannot be configured when it is plugged into them. (It CAN be configured if the device is plugged directly into my router. But my router is in another room so that setup is impossible for the application I am trying to use.)

Does anyone know of issues with that brand of powerline adaptors? I know some folks use Eero. But Eero's customer service has told me I would need to replace all my networking equipment with theirs. That's an expense I can't afford -- and have no other need for as my home network otherwise offers excellent performance. If somehow two Eero adaptors can be added on to my home network (in place of the ZyXel I am now using) I might give that a try. Or perhaps there is another reliable brand?

Thanks Alex. I was not aware of that thread and will read it as soon as I can. Apologies for raising this here. I know it is not the right forum. I guess I am simply frustrated. I am still waiting to receive some useful advice from Sonore.

Returning to the issue of the LPS 1.2. I bought it because I was also buying the microRendu. My first reaction was, if the microRendu won't work in my setup, I will return the LPS 1.2 also. But I confess that the more I listen to the LPS 1.2 as a power source for my ISO REGEN (that is for my system as is, without the microRendu) the harder it will be for me to part with it.

I have found that sometimes listening "too carefully" leads to my ears playing tricks on me and leaving me confused about whether an addition or change in my system really makes a difference. Yesterday I was listening "less carefully" while reading the Sunday paper, doing the crossword and then eating dinner in an adjacent room with my wife. Roon was playing random jazz choices after playing an album or two I had chosen myself. Everything sounded better. Often I found I needed to double check to see what selection was being played. Often it was a cut from an album I know well. But I had not remembered it sounding so good before the arrival of the LPS 1.2.

So I will need to think twice about returning it, even if I do return the microRendu and even if the cost of the LPS 1.2 exceeds not only the cost of the ISO REGEN it powers, but also was more than double the price of the Explorer DAC I am using.

@charlesphoto I'm not following you. (@Superdad apologies, I know now this is not the forum for this discussion but I am trying to answer Charles.) Charlesphoto perhaps you can reply to me on the thread Alex suggested: microRendu support thread

No SD card came with the microRendu. I can configure and use the microRendu so long as it is plugged directly into my router. The entire problem here is that my router is in another room. Thus my need for the powerline adaptors.

@JohnSwenson thanks VERY much! I am trying to understand your reply and do the testing you suggested.

I never thought there was anything wrong with the microRendu. But I asked before I bought one if it would work with powerline adaptors because I always knew a wired ethernet connection directly to my router would not be possible.

Andrew at Sonore has suggested that the problem may be my Airport Extreme (used in conjunction with an Xfinity-provided modem). He says there are many known issues with streaming using that piece of equipment. But...I have been streaming using Roon and Tidal, in the other room with a wireless setup for months with my network based on this modem/router connection.

Let me see what your suggested tests show. Thanks again!

My ISO and microRendu are powered by the LPS 1.2 through a Y connection drawing 700 milliamps.

Because I noticed what @kissov said above, I thought it might be helpful to interject my experience (which Alex knows about through correspondence between the two of us separately).

I already owned an ISO REGEN with the original power supply that came with it. (NOT the LP -1, just the basic plug in connection that came with the ISO.) My LPS 1.2 arrived last week. It powered my microRendu that also arrived last week with good results.

Then I added my ISO REGEN back into the chain, which then looked like this: microRendu > ISO REGEN > Meridian Explorer 2 DAC, all powered by a Y connection to the LPS 1.2. However that combination failed. Roon did not recognize it. For this to work with Roon I had to take the ISO REGEN out of the chain of devices.

After many different attempts of various sequences of plugging things in and turning things off and on (with suggestions from Alex along the way) failed, I tried one last thing. I dropped the Y connection. I used the LPS 1.2 to power the microRendu only. I used the original ISO REGEN power connection to power the ISO. Then Roon recognized everything and I can hear music again.

I would rather use the LPS 1.2 to power everything and Alex expected I'd be able to do that. But at least for now I have a work around. Hopefully Alex and John can figure out why I can't use the LPS 1.2 alone with the Y connection.

Thanks Alex!

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I do know that for some reason Roon can be a bit fussy with some DACs and the ISO REGEN

Just a reminder: I used the same ISO REGEN and the same Explorer 2 DAC together with Roon for months with no problems, before I purchased the microRendu OR the LPS 1.2.

My original set up was this: iPad (or iPhone) as  Roon endpoint > Apple Camera adapter > ISO REGEN > Explorer DAC. As I said, no problems for months. So I don't think it is a problem of my DAC and Roon.

Thanks for working on this. My music sounds good now. If in the future you can help me to make it sound even better, great.

Thanks John.

8 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

So to make it work you have the original MeanWell supply powering the ISO REGEN and the LPS-1.2 powering the microRendu?

Yes. (If the MeanWell is what came packaged with the ISO REGEN.)

Have you tried swapping them? (MeanWell on microRendu and LPS-1.2 on ISO REGEN)

No. I assumed the stronger power supply was best used with the microRendu if I need to make a choice. Is that wrong?

To figure this one out you have to make a diagram of the system including all power connections, interconnects (analog and digital), AC wiring, LAN connections etc. With it all drawn out you can start working out leakage paths and see if this situation is happening.

Do I understand you correctly? Others are able to use the LPS 1.2 to power both a microRendu and an ISO REGEN by using a Y cord. I can't because of some other problem specific to my overall system setup that I would need to diagnose somehow?

To be completely honest, that is simply more work than I have the patience -- or knowledge -- to try. As I said above, my system sounds good with the workaround I stumbled into. If at some point you or Alex figure out more about this issue (as Alex has suggested he may be able to) I will welcome that. But unlike many others on this thread I really don't enjoy tinkering with my equipment -- and I am not good at it. I just want to listen to the best music I can hear.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Three questions. Apologies if they are answered elsewhere on this 12 page thread. I read the entire thread some time ago but did not know of these products when I read it, so may not have noticed.

1. Could the LPS 1.2 be used with this DAC?
https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/liberty-dac/

2. What about this one?
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-airist-audio-r-2r-dac

3. Has anyone used this? Good results? Is it superfluous for those of us who use the ISO REGEN?
https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-dcipurifier/

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

@Superdad Alex I posted three questions above regarding the use of the LPS. 1.2 and the ISO REGEN with three other products. When you have a moment could you respond?

I am getting more interested in the Mytek Liberty DAC in particular and wonder if my LPS. 1.2 could be used (with the splitter you recommended) with that product and my microRendu.

@Superdad Thanks Alex for the answer to my questions. You may (or may not) remember that I am using "the Mean Well SMPS that the ISO REGEN is often sold with" (or I am if that is what came with my original purchase of the ISO REGEN) because with  my current DAC (Explorer 2)-ISO REGEN combination, I am unable to use the LPS 1.2. (I do use the LPS for my microRendu.) 

So my current setup is this: microRendu>ISO REGEN> E2 DAC...BUT the ISO REGEN is powered by the original SMPS not the LPS 1.2

For a variety of reasons I am considering a different DAC in that room (and using my E2 elsewhere). So as I understand your answer, I could continue to use the ISO REGEN (with its original power supply) with a new DAC, but using the LPS 1.2 with a new DAC is problematic, depending on which DAC I choose.

Apologies if I am covering old territory, but if I choose the Project Pre Box S2 Digital do you expect I will be able to power both the microRendu and the the ISO REGEN-Project combination with the LPS 1.2? (To be clear, this would be a different power setup than I use with the E2 currently.)

@Superdad Alex I'm sorry but I'm afraid I've muddled things up here.

My primary use of the LPS 1.2 is to power my microRendu. I then also hoped to use it in conjunction with my ISO REGEN and a DAC. As you may remember, I bought the splitter you suggested in your most recent note, but it would not work with the ISO REGEN  between the microRendu and my Explorer 2 DAC. The workaround that solved the problem of THAT setup was to power the ISO REGEN and the E2 DAC with the power supply that came with the ISO REGEN, while using the LPS 1.2 for the microRendu.

If I replace the E2 with something else I am hoping your original suggestion will work. I would use the LPS 1.2 to power  the entire chain of microRendu/ISO REGEN/DAC. However, you've let me know the Mytek Liberty DAC is NOT a candidate for me because the LPS won't power that DAC. So I am reconsidering the Project product instead of the Liberty.

I anticipate this chain but perhaps I am still confused. microRendu>ISO REGEN>Project DAC. I would use the splitter to connect the LPS to the MicroRendu and the ISO REGEN. Is my error here that the Project would ALSO need a separate power supply; that it could not simply run from its connection to the other devices in the chain?

In the setup I have with the E2 DAC (described above) I do use the DC-barrel>microUSB adapter.

Apologies for all the confusion I've introduced!

@Superdad Alex thanks again!

So as I understand it...(always a dangerous place to begin) the Pro-Ject DAC would draw its power from the LPS 1.2 through the ISO REGEN (so to speak) just as my E2 does.

We would hope the LPS 1.2 could power both the microRendu and the DAC (the DAC through the ISO REGEN) via the Y cable.

If using the LPS for both does not work (as it did not with the E2/ISO combination) we could consider doing with the Pro-Ject DAC what I've done with the E2. Get the power for the DAC/ISO combination from the separate SMPS that came with the ISO REGEN.

And it is understood that we can't be sure until I have the Pro-Ject DAC in hand and can test this out.

Still thinking over the purchase of the Project. If I decide to buy it I will let you know what the outcome is.

@Superdad

31 minutes ago, Superdad said:

(were you really running the Explorer 2 DAC from 7.5V?)

I guess I was. But it was not a purposeful choice. Let me review how I got to this point.

When I first bought my Explorer DAC I did not own a microRendu. In the room where I wanted to use the E2 I had no computer at all. At that time I was using an iPad as a Roon end point. But as I think you know, the E2 needs power that it generally draws from a USB connection to a computer. Neither the iPad nor my iPhone could provide enough power to the E2. Then I realized -- remember this is months ago -- that if I could connect the E2 to the ISO REGEN that could offer it the power it needed, even thought there was no computer in the chain. It worked perfectly. So I guess, from that moment one I was running the E2 from 7.5V -- if that's what the SMPS that came with the ISO REGEN provides.

It was only when the microRendu and the LPS 1.2 arrived (roughly simultaneously) that I began to have difficulties. As you know you and I both expected I could power the microRendu and the ISO REGEN with the LPS 1.2. And we assumed the E2 could continue to get the power it needs via the ISO REGEN -- now powered by the LPS not its original SMPS.

Again as you know, that did not work. The only workaround was to continue to use the SMPS to power the ISO REGEN while using the LPS to power the microRendu. That did work. So at that point I guess I was again "running the Explorer 2 DAC from 7.5V."

Is there any possibility that could cause some damage to the E2? That seems unlikely because remember, I started using the ISO REGEN/E2 DAC combination months ago when it was the only choice I had.

Now turning to your new (to me) suggestion:

44 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I would consider using the one unit to power the DAC and the ISO REGEN.  Sonically, giving clean/isolated power to a 'real' audio component such as a DAC should be the top priority.

Starting with the equipment I own now, are you suggesting I try powering the ISO REGEN connected to the E2 with the LPS 1.2? I assume that means the microRendu can run without any power supply at all? Or I could consider using the SMPS that came with the ISO REGEN for the microRendu, as I used it for the ISO REGEN/E2 combination. Or would be too much for the MIcroRendu?

If I purchase the Pro-Ject, and should it turn out that all three devices cannot be powered by the LPS 1.2, then according to this idea I would again use the LPS for the ISO REGEN/DAC combination and either nothing or the SMPS for the microRendu?

Thanks for your patience Alex. I hope I have not muddled this up beyond all recognition...