IGNORED

I Now Consider The Stereophile Staff Snake Oil Salesmen

10 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

FWIW, I share your experience with the elusiveness of PRaT.  The consistent read that I've gotten from audiophile forums is some variation of, "if you can't hear PRaT, your system is not resolving enough".  I just lumped it in with danceable cables.

You realize that PRAT, along with other pretentious nonsense, started with the magazines.

Just now, Samuel T Cogley said:

I'm assuming this is some attempt at humor... :S

Yes, since whenever i hear people talking about it, it is usually a term used in a derogatory way, and it does conjure specific images. They should call it Rhythm, Pace and Timing.

Anyway, does anyone know what it means - how it i defined and what concrete examples are there for reference ?

10 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

FWIW, I share your experience with the elusiveness of PRaT.  The consistent read that I've gotten from audiophile forums is some variation of, "if you can't hear PRaT, your system is not resolving enough".  I just lumped it in with danceable cables.

It was invented by Julian  Vereker, an eccentric who  taught himself electronics and founded Naim Audio.

5 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Yes, since whenever i hear people talking about it, it is usually a term used in a derogatory way, and it does conjure specific images. They should call it Rhythm, Pace and Timing.

Anyway, does anyone know what it means - how it i defined and what concrete examples are there for reference ?

Julian Vereker, who founded Naim  Audio  did.   You just got his words in the wrong order

3 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

You realize that PRAT, along with other pretentious nonsense, started with the magazines.

I'm not really familiar with the etymology.  It seemed to be a favorite term with some who spent a substantial amount of money on their systems.  And it didn't really seem like a thing with headphones, so I just sort of moved on.

2 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I'm not really familiar with the etymology.  It seemed to be a favorite term with some who spent a substantial amount of money on their systems.  And it didn't really seem like a thing with headphones, so I just sort of moved on.

..they invented a pretentious pseudo intellectual way of describing how gear sounds so as to position them selves as voices of authority.

14 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

True. But all it means  is that a popular game we  invented  is consistent. There aren't 'six' crows flying by, there are  'some' crows.

Sure, any relationship between abstract maths and physical reality is empirical. There still are no exceptions to a proven theorem. That's what the words theorem and proof mean.

10 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Wrong. It was an early Naim advertising slogan created by Naim's  eccentric founder., and his  'philosophy'. It was real too.

Yes, but apparently a UK HiFi writer started to use the term in his articles...

...real to whom? LSD trips real too...to those dropping. As is the fact anything over $20 for audio cables is a rip off...

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Sure, any relationship between abstract maths and physical reality is empirical. There still are no exceptions to a proven theorem. That's what the words theorem and proof mean.

I know that. It was why I told Beer&music  it is  a theorEM, not that   he took any notice :D 

8 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Wrong. It was an early Naim advertising slogan created by Naim's  eccentric founder., and his  'philosophy'. It was real too.

Those terms may be real, but they apply to music and musical performances, not playback equipment. No matter how bad an amp is, it won't make the drummer miss a beat or make a waltz sound like reggae.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Those terms may be real, but they apply to music and musical performances, not playback equipment. No matter how bad an amp is, it won't make the drummer miss a beat or make a waltz sound like reggae.

I have NEVER heard a musician EVER discuss "PRat", and I know quite a few..and I have never thought about it while listening to live music. It is fabricated Audiophile "male cow excrement. :o

1 minute ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Yes, but apparently a UK HiFi writer started to use the term in his articles...

...real to whom? LSD trips real too...to those dropping. As is the the fact anything over $20 for audio cables is a rip off.

It was true, You could hear it, you couldn't  help tapping your foot. . It's why I bought one. I now use the seven? generations later model  of the same amp.

The magazine writer just got it from Naim's publicity, which was always rather  eccentric.

Nait1_JV.jpg

1 minute ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Brink, you've given me whiplash. Here you are on January 28:

As someone who has been enjoying MQA for the past few months via Tidal, much of what I read here gives me pause.

Here you are on January 30, implying that Stereophile and, even, TAS (!!!) have credibility:

So if take at face value all of the information above is correct, why have I not read about any of this in Stereophile or The Absolute Sound, or DAR, or Audiostream?

And now, less than one month later, you consider the Stereophile staff snake oil salesmen:

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Just now, eclectic said:

I thought that was "Tw*T..

Prat just means idiot or fool etc..

Hi,

If you look at Ralf's link - the second entry states ass - rear end, rump etc. They got it wrong.

Tw*t is the fool one, and i have heard it used in place of prat - but prat in my area has always meant front bottom.

I am from darn sarf.

Regards,

Shadders.

7 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

If you look at Ralf's link - the second entry states ass - rear end, rump etc. They got it wrong.

Tw*t is the fool one, and i have heard it used in place of prat - but prat in my area has always meant front bottom.

I am from darn sarf.

Regards,

Shadders.

It's both according to wiki. in my area it's used for both. Calling someone a tw** is more derogatory than calling them a prat. 

wiki definition