IGNORED

Article: Apple HomePod Review - An Audiophile Perspective

• 2 weeks later...

Odd, atban joined on Wednesday morning made one awkward comment (that's fine) but hasn't been back since that morning.  Maybe just testing the waters.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

The HomePod like all "smart speakers" that are marketed as assistant devices, that can stream your favorite music from some source of your choice that the product supports.  Set it down anywhere and ask it questions or play music.  Apple is trying to take it a step further by saying there product sounds amazing compared to the other "smart speakers".  To compare the Pod to all the other products you have to treat as such.  So place it anywhere, end table, coffee table, kitchen countertop, fireplace mantel ect..  It should require no special placement or fine adjustments when operating, that goes for reviewers too. 

At $349 is it a good buy?  Maybe, not expensive by any means for an Apple product.  For the average Joe it's probably to much.  If your in the apple ecosystem I would have expected something more refined.  Maybe they'll come out with a few more models in the future but Apple usually gets it right on the first try.  Having heard this product at several stores and at my neighbors house, I'm not that impressed. My neighbor by the way has a pawn shop bought Kenwood receiver with Andrew Jones engineered Pioneer speakers SP-BS22 ($80 he paid for everything) that sounded pretty damn good for the price. 

I think the HomePod is good but nothing special.  Now factor in the price compared to the other competitors and what do get. This kind of reminds of the Bose Wave system first marketed a couple of decades ago.  Although Bose was/is far more expensive and like the sound of the Wave or not it could easily fill the room and tell time :).  YMMV

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet