IGNORED

streaming rates/up&down sampling-resampling

bobbmd

Question -Why would a pre multibit Schiit Gungnir  suddenly go from sample rate of 24/176.4 or 24/192 to 16/48(above 48000 is greyed out)when the source material is anywhere from 16/44.1 to 24/192000(including MQA). My ME2 still goes all the way up to 192?? And why don't I really feel the SQ is any different except maybe I have to crank up the volume a bit?? I noticed this when playing TIDAL and Qobuz via A+3 and assume it is happening when I use desktop app for both  TIDAL and Qobuz and when I use ROON. This all occurred when my late 2012 MacMini i7 16GB RAM crashed and when I rebooted it didn't even recognize the Gungnir only ME2 and DFR until I attached the Gungnir via  powered 3.0 USB hub

I would just like to know why this happened(and maybe how to fix it) and why I don't think my SQ has suffered- are these different sample rates formats ie MQA DSD etc all just a joke and what we are only hearing is 16/44 or at best 24/48 regardless of what the software or hardware is telling us?

thanks bobbmd

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2018 at 5:14 PM, bobbmd said:

Question -Why would a pre multibit Schiit Gungnir  suddenly go from sample rate of 24/176.4 or 24/192 to 16/48(above 48000 is greyed out)when the source material is anywhere from 16/44.1 to 24/192000(including MQA). My ME2 still goes all the way up to 192?? And why don't I really feel the SQ is any different except maybe I have to crank up the volume a bit?? I noticed this when playing TIDAL and Qobuz via A+3 and assume it is happening when I use desktop app for both  TIDAL and Qobuz and when I use ROON. This all occurred when my late 2012 MacMini i7 16GB RAM crashed and when I rebooted it didn't even recognize the Gungnir only ME2 and DFR until I attached the Gungnir via  powered 3.0 USB hub

I would just like to know why this happened(and maybe how to fix it) and why I don't think my SQ has suffered- are these different sample rates formats ie MQA DSD etc all just a joke and what we are only hearing is 16/44 or at best 24/48 regardless of what the software or hardware is telling us?

thanks bobbmd

I've seen this happen with my Gumby.  Disconnect all USB equipment from the Gungnir, and power the Gungnir off.  Now, power off all the computer and USB gear upstream from the Gungnir.  Now, hook it all back together, then power on the Gungnir, then the USB equipment, then finally, power up the computer.  Did the higher sample rates return?

42 minutes ago, mansr said:

HeThe meaning of "life, the universe, and everything" is, as we all know, 42. Now 42 can be factored as 2*3*7, three factors for the three parts in the question. The meaning of life is thus either 2, 3, or 7. The question is which. Also, is that life in general or a specific life, such as the Life of Brian?

At IBM every problem can be solved by reorganising the department. 

One of my ever changing bosses said "Sometimes you have difficulty in seeing the  Emperors' new clothes"

I once instantly  became  IBM Europe's leading  expert on something  simply because I shared an office with the previous leading expert.

Also the  telephonists -  "Hello, IBM Hursley labs and headquarters of the Hampshire  branch of the Campaign for Real Ale"

@Samuel T Cogley Thank you for the effort-did what you suggested still only 48000 for my Gungnir on Audio MIDI and on A+3 while my ME2 still goes all the way up to 192000.

Again I can't tell any difference in audio quality/SQ between the two DACs using any format TIDAL and Qobuz desktop apps ROON desktop or A+3(with either DAC or in MQA)-what do you make of that?

I assume(and I know what it means when one 'assumes') it is a problem with the Gungnir-I will probably send it back to Schiit and have it upgraded to multibit with Gen5 USB.

Thanks again for your suggestions 

1 hour ago, bobbmd said:

@Samuel T Cogley Thank you for the effort-did what you suggested still only 48000 for my Gungnir on Audio MIDI and on A+3 while my ME2 still goes all the way up to 192000.

Again I can't tell any difference in audio quality/SQ between the two DACs using any format TIDAL and Qobuz desktop apps ROON desktop or A+3(with either DAC or in MQA)-what do you make of that?

I assume(and I know what it means when one 'assumes') it is a problem with the Gungnir-I will probably send it back to Schiit and have it upgraded to multibit with Gen5 USB.

Thanks again for your suggestions 

I have had two different Schiit USB interfaces fail.  One in a Yggy, and one in a Gungnir (before it became a Gumby).  USB interfaces have always been the weakest link in Schiit DACs in my experience.  I have not looked into Gen5 upgrades, as I moved on to USB-S/PDIF converters and never looked back.

Regarding the lack of difference in sound quality, I'll be curious to hear your reports once your Gungnir has been repaired.

@Samuel T Cogley Thanks again it has to be my Gungnir USB interface and will keep you posted- maybe my sense that there is no difference in SQ has to do with me using WiFi with an Apple Time Capsule Extreme(the 2TB small tower) maybe all I get is 16/48 regardless of what A+3 says the DAC is playing or what Audio MIDI says

Later I would be interested in how you do this USB-s/PDIF conversions

Regards bobbmd

51 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

@Samuel T Cogley Thanks again it has to be my Gungnir USB interface and will keep you posted- maybe my sense that there is no difference in SQ has to do with me using WiFi with an Apple Time Capsule Extreme(the 2TB small tower) maybe all I get is 16/48 regardless of what A+3 says the DAC is playing or what Audio MIDI says

Later I would be interested in how you do this USB-s/PDIF conversions

Regards bobbmd

I can tell you now I use the iFI iLink.  Those are now out of production, but I've heard great things about the Schiit Eitr.