IGNORED

Finally...A basic DAC from Mytek

10 hours ago, One and a half said:

The first hack if, it's a separable part is to remove the SMPS, why feedback to parts that are not needed. 

The external 12V supply needs to be a minimum of 150W, (5-10 times 30W) wow. Are the pulsed currents so severe that only such a high powered device will work. That's minimum, mind, 12.5A, LPS-x to be shown the door.

It's a small enclosure to dissipate that heat, another warm DAC, like the ifi gear, small compact and hot.

Mytek is recommending Sbooster for Liberty on product page same as for Brooklyn DAC+. They probably should update the product page as the listed requirements for an external LPS are not realistic. This has already been discussed in reviews of Sbooster with DAC+.

There are no hands on reviews of the Liberty yet I can find. Owners could probably justify an Sbooster at $380. I use an Sbooster with my DAC+ works fine. Other Brooklyn DAC+ owners swear by the JS-2 LPS. I preferred to economize with the Sbooster and use the savings for amplification.

10 hours ago, Panelhead said:

The Altair looks great for the money. Does it use the same ESS chips as the Liberty?

Mytek Liberty uses ESS Sabre 9018K2M DAC chip while Altair uses a Quad-Core Coretex-A9 processor running at 1GHz.

Different markets: Liberty is attractive to someone who wants MQA under $1000. Altair does not do MQA and looks to be marketed to someone who wants a Roon ready wireless streaming D/A processor with LPS built in. Liberty uses switching power supply so you would need to buy an external LPS like Sbooster. There have still been no listening reviews of the Liberty online yet all the links posted are just promos.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @Nelson 32 I believe you are the first Mytek Liberty owner to post a review. If the Liberty is like my Brooklyn DAC+ suggest leave it on all the time and expect a break in period of a few weeks; sound quality will improve. At some point you may want to add an outboard LPS like Sbooster.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, NewWorldMan said:

The Liberty which I bought about a month ago is the first Mytek product I actually own. No external LPS yet but once I settle into a system I will either borrow or purchase one. It's generally agreed iBooster is the best of the bunch?

Sbooster ($375) is best value of the LPS that work with Mytek DACs. Uptone JS-2 is considered best of the best but it costs $925. Buying a LPS that costs as much as your Liberty would be your call. I use an Sbooster with my DAC+. Amazon is sold out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2018 at 3:31 AM, moriez said:

The Liberty is also in my sights, and because this thread contains most information around the net yet I'm wondering if any of the owners is able to make first hand comparisons to Metrum Musette/Amethyst, Chord Mojo/2Qute or Schiit Bifrost Multibit. These DACs are the last ones I heard and still somewhat in memory. Liking the Metrums best out of those.

I own a Liberty, Brooklyn DAC+ and Schiit Bifrost Multibit. I would recommend you buy a Liberty over the Bifrost, not only for MQA but because the Liberty sounds better than the Bifrost to my ears. The Liberty is close to the Brooklyn DAC+ at less than half the price. I can't stand to listen to the Bifrost on my main system so it is relegated to TV duty using Toslink input feeding a Vali 2. Considering all the problems @left channel reported on her experience with the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 if you want reliable MQA under $1000 get a Liberty.

3 hours ago, buonassi said:

I agree that being able to describe the differences in an effective way takes some time.  For example, I knew right away when I plugged in my iDAC2 that it was "different" from the modi multibit it was replacing.  I liked it immediately, but noticed some fatigue after about an hour.  But it took me over 3 weeks to settle into it and have a grasp on how I'd describe the difference.  

It's interesting that you bring up the pro-ject DAC.  That too is on my short list of next DACs to own.  But when the Liberty came out, I jumped for joy - because I really wanted the Brooklyn+, but couldn't justify that kind of money (I'm relatively new to this hobby and want to experience the journey vs going all end-game).  

Also, I have to consider whether or not there are other limiting factors in my chain that would prevent me from enjoying something like the Mytek DACs to their fullest.  I have a pretty well-regarded amp and headphones, and use A+ software in direct mode - so perhaps I'm ready?  dunno.  

Appreciate the feedback.  It would be interesting to hear these two DACs compared directly to one another.  

edit: the liberty and s2d I mean.....

The Liberty scales well with better amps and phones just like the Brooklyn DAC+. Also just like the DAC+ the built in headamp is about as good as a $100 Schiit. SS, one dimensional. I marvel at the difference when I switch back to my Kenzie tube amp: suddenly I have a sound stage again and no SS glare.

The Bifrost Multibit Gen 5 does not synergize with my HD800S and Kenzie tube amp while the Liberty does. The Brooklyn DAC+ does best the Liberty at high treble realism and definition though so far, still burning in the Liberty though. I think most buy the Liberty for the MQA.

• 2 weeks later...

@buonassi I own both a Brooklyn DAC+ and a Liberty. The Liberty head amp is not outstanding: how good a head amp could one expect in a $1000 DAC? The built in head amps on both are listenable but nothing exceptional. My Kenzie tube amp far out performs both of the built ins. Buy a Liberty or DAC+ and test for your self.

4 hours ago, TonyH said:

Hi guys,

As the owner of a Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC Preamp and looking to upgrade, I am interested in the Brooklyn+ and the Liberty. Do you think the either of these would be enough of a SQ upgrade to warrant the cost ?

Either one would be. My Liberty is not fully broken in yet but SQ is close to my Brooklyn DAC+. For best SQ with either DAC you do need an external LPS so factor in that cost: minimum would be an Sbooster at about $375. The Liberty is a solid value; you just need to determine if you need the extra features the DAC+ offers.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The Liberty is a bargain, as long as you can live without the extra features that come with the DAC+. I would say sound quality is very close to the DAC+ when used with an external amp. The built in head amp is on a par with a Schiit Magni 3. For best SQ you really do need the outboard LPS though. Sources are Tidal or locally stored files.

• 2 months later...

While USB input on both the DAC+ and Liberty was fine I eventually sold both because the sound quality on the Toslink in was very poor compared to USB. At both my home and office I have a television on my multimonitor stand connected to the DAC by Toslink. Optical in on both the Brooklyn DAC+ and Liberty was hard to listen to. Sound was thin with glare. Why Mytek could not make the SQ on optical in equal to USB is a mystery but I eventually replaced both units with a Yggdrasil and Bifrost. While I was easily able to hear the difference between most 44 and 96 files of the same recording I can't say the same when going from 96 to 192. I have both Tidal and Qobuz now and have the Tidal desktop player set to do the first unfold on MQA masters to 96. If a friend asks me my opinion of the Brooklyn DAC+ now I tell him to buy a Yggdrasil. Sound quality on all inputs is the same on Yggy and Bifrost.

Who knows. I complained to Mytek about it and sent my DAC+ back for a bench test and they said it was working fine. Since both the Liberty and DAC+ had the same problem with optical in it must be a design flaw. If a Bifrost can sound the same on all inputs I would think Mytek would make sure their DACs do also. Considering you need to add a USB decrapifier and good LPS to get really decent sound with the DAC+ through USB the Yggdrasil is a bargain in comparison, especially since it is upgradeable.