IGNORED

Antipodes DX Gen3 vs Innuos Zenith MkII SE

simorag

And yet, in the Antipodes FAQ it says

The CX+EX solution is the ultimate. Next best is the one-box DX. Next best is the CX. Next best is the EX. But you will find the DX, CX and EX are close to one another in audio performance. The big leap in audio quality comes when you move up to the CX+EX solution. The CX, when used just for the server app, provides the best possible performance of server apps. The EX, when used just for the renderer app, provides the best possible performance of the renderer app. The superiority of the CX+EX is jaw-dropping.

Because of course, two boxes are better than one!  Especially if you're selling boxes.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 25/02/2018 at 12:00 AM, Kritpoon said:

I have the DX Gen 3 for about 2 months now. My chain is Source -> Mutec Mc-3+USB (with REF10 Clock) -> Yggy. Comparing the DX GEN3 with what I had before (ultraRendu+LPS-1 feeding my Synology NAS), the DX GEN 3 is a few classes over the ultraRendu. Before the DX, I found the uR to sound really good (coming from MACBOOK Pro as a source). But when I replaces UR with the DX3, I found that uR has a few flaws. Comparing with the DX3, the DX3 mid range is liquidity smooth, the sound is meaty, the background noise is darker, the highs are extended without any so called digital glare. The stage depth is superb, and micro details are easily heard. The bass is tighter with better extension. Just so summarize, the DX3 is really really good with the overall presentation to Analog sound. With good file source, if I close my eyes and listen, it seems that the sound is coming from the Vinyl source. Hope this helps.

I have a similar setup, but i ended up with the dx3 as a roon and file server and a microrendu as a renderer, this combo gives the best sound for me. the dual lan port of the dx3 providing a direct path to the rendu is one big factor in the jump in sq.

1 hour ago, mahi said:

I have a similar setup, but i ended up with the dx3 as a roon and file server and a microrendu as a renderer, this combo gives the best sound for me. the dual lan port of the dx3 providing a direct path to the rendu is one big factor in the jump in sq.

Hi Mahi,

I also tried to directly connect the uRendu thru the other LAN port (the one that lable network). But on Roon having the Antipodes as Roon Server, I could not find the uRendu as an output (under Roon's Audio menu). Would you mind sharing how you did it? I am very interested in trying but could not succeed. Thanks in advance!

"Its the REF clock that makes it all so good..."

4 hours ago, Kritpoon said:

Hi Mahi,

I also tried to directly connect the uRendu thru the other LAN port (the one that lable network). But on Roon having the Antipodes as Roon Server, I could not find the uRendu as an output (under Roon's Audio menu). Would you mind sharing how you did it? I am very interested in trying but could not succeed. Thanks in advance!

go to myantipodes.com and you should see both the rendu and the dx showing up. go to appswitcher of rendu and select roon ready mode. 

14 minutes ago, mahi said:

go to myantipodes.com and you should see both the rendu and the dx showing up. go to appswitcher of rendu and select roon ready mode. 

I tried it. The uRendu showed up on myantipodes.com but for some reason I can't click to manage it. hmmm....

Mahi,

I did disconnected the USB from the DX (and put the USB cable with uRendu) and switch out of roonready. Still cannot access the uRendu. It seems that the two LAN port isn't bidged. I'll try contacting antipodes support then. Thanks.

Reporting back. Got my UltraRendu direct connection with the DX thru the excellent support of Antipodes support teams. Thumbs up to them. The result is very pleasing! Better dynamics, clarity, airiness and such good imaging. Wow. The problem was early shipment of the DX Gen3 LAN port was not factory configured as bridged. So the supporting team remotely access my DX3 and bridged the port. Perhaps this can be a poor man CX+EX solution. CX in this case is the DX3 and EX is the UltraRrendu.

2 hours ago, Kritpoon said:

Reporting back. Got my UltraRendu direct connection with the DX thru the excellent support of Antipodes support teams. Thumbs up to them. The result is very pleasing! Better dynamics, clarity, airiness and such good imaging. Wow. The problem was early shipment of the DX Gen3 LAN port was not factory configured as bridged. So the supporting team remotely access my DX3 and bridged the port. Perhaps this can be a poor man CX+EX solution. CX in this case is the DX3 and EX is the UltraRrendu.

Thanks for reporting.

Just for clarification:

You compared the USB output of the DX/3 vs. the USB output of the uR in combination DX/3 + uR.

Correct?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

2 hours ago, Kritpoon said:

Hi Kritpoon, good to see you got the UltraRendu working. You've had an interesting set changes, if my interpretation is right:

You started with: Source + Mutec + Mutec 10Mhz clock

Added the UltraRendu: Source + UltraRendu + Mutec + Mutec 10Mhz

Replaced the Source/UR: DX3 (USB out) + Mutec + Mutec 10Mhz

Added the UltraRendu: DX3 (LAN out) + UltraRendu + Mutec + Mutec 10Mhz

That is quite an impressive result! How would you describe the difference between 2 and 4? (adding the DX3 as 'a poor mans CX' to the UltraRendu).

2 hours ago, flkin said:

Will do a writeup of our experiences after.

Fantastic!  This will be really useful input.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

21 hours ago, matthias said:

Thanks for reporting.

Just for clarification:

You compared the USB output of the DX/3 vs. the USB output of the uR in combination DX/3 + uR.

Correct?

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

That's correct!

20 hours ago, FredM said:

Hi Kritpoon, good to see you got the UltraRendu working. You've had an interesting set changes, if my interpretation is right:

You started with: Source + Mutec + Mutec 10Mhz clock

Added the UltraRendu: Source + UltraRendu + Mutec + Mutec 10Mhz

Replaced the Source/UR: DX3 (USB out) + Mutec + Mutec 10Mhz

Added the UltraRendu: DX3 (LAN out) + UltraRendu + Mutec + Mutec 10Mhz

That is quite an impressive result! How would you describe the difference between 2 and 4? (adding the DX3 as 'a poor mans CX' to the UltraRendu).

Hi FredM,

Originally my Source was Synology Nas running Roon Linux Server. You have my progress correct. The difference between 2 and 4 is quite remarkable. With 2 (Nas being a file and Roon Server to uRendu) the sound was quite good, but I found that on certain tracks there is some mid-range harshness and some harshness in the upper high freq. range and some digital glare. The imaging and sound staging was good. But on certain complex music, the overall sounds still a bit confuse and some of the instruments that are far into the sound stage is smear. But with combination 4, the biggest improvement was PRAT and clarity. The instruments are now very easily pin point on the stage. The image is much clearer. The overall sound signature is a bit more forward and I would say has a better bite such as the first plug of the guitar or the improve weight of the piano first note. The decay of instrument is better. Better more rounded bass. But with just the DX3 to Mc-3+ I found the sound to be more relax (vinyl like) and less digital like. With the addition of UltraRendu in the chain, the over all signature become more aggressive, punchier, clearer and more precise. Hope this help.

Krit.

6 hours ago, flkin said:

Hi Khun Krit,

So glad you've got your UltraRendu working with your Antipodes. This weekend will be fun! :D

For those interested, it turns out that Kritpoon and myself both live within a street from each other in Bangkok! And with completely different front end systems but both attempting to push the limits of server/render technologies. Kritpoon will be coming over on Sunday to compare his system with mine at my home. 

My system is Front End --> Vinnie Rossi DAC 2.0 --> Vinnie Rossi DHT preamp (w/Takatsuki TA-300B tubes) --> YBA Passion 1000 mono blocks --> Wilson Watt Puppy 6 with the new woofers 

Dedicated AC power and house wiring for the mono block power amps through Shunyata Hydra 8. Front end electronics through Topaz 1kVA on strip.

Kritpoon's front end comprises of the

1. Antipodes DX Gen3
  2. UltraRendu / LPS-1
  3. Mutec MC3+, Mutec Ref10 clock and combinations thereof.

My front end comprises of the SOtM Stable

1. Non-optimised but bridged MacBook Pro with dCBL-CAT7 and iSO-CAT6 ethernet cleaners
  2. Trifecta: D-Link DSG105 w/clock mod, sMS-200 w/clock mod, tx-USBultra providing the clock
  3. IsoRegen
  4. Cybershaft OP14 clock
  5. DC power using assortment of LPS-1 and sPS-500, no sharing Y cables

We haven't decided what to test but the following will probably be on the table:

• Antipodes vs. SOtM Stable
  • Antipodes(server), UltraRendu(renderer) vs. SOtM Stable
  • Antipodes(server), UltraRendu(renderer), Mutec MC3+, Mutec Ref10 vs. SOtM Stable
  • SOtM Stable but with Mutec Ref10 clock vs. SOtM Stable with Cybershaft OP14 clock
  • Antipodes(server) --> SOtM Stable vs. everything above

Hopefully we'll have time to do the above and try other combinations that might come to mind at that time. 

Kritpoon is bringing over his Antipodes and Mutec Ref 10 clock a day and a half earlier to ensure that the devices are warmed up enough before the comparisons. Will do a writeup of our experiences after. :D

Khun Kin,

Thank you for the experimental procedures, it is very exciting things to try indeed. I'll see you tomorrow to drop off my equipment at your place :) I just though of another experiment, maybe we could also do if time permits.

• Antipodes -> Mutec Mc-3+ -> REF10 vs. Sotm Stable
  • uRendu -> Mutec Mc-3+ -> REF10 vs. Sotm Stable
  • Mix and match of Antipodes, SOTM Stable (individual parts)/and or UltraRendu, and the Mutec MC-3+for the the achievable ultimate front end combination with all of the most popular equipments over here in CA !!!

It will be very interesting to compare the two totally different popular approaches to see. I'll see you tommorrow! :)

Krit P.

1 hour ago, flkin said:

That was a great meet Khun Are @Kritpoon! Thanks for coming over with your equipment and spending 4 hours with me on swapping cable, power supples and other stuff.

We have Interesting results that will probably involve both of us spending more money! 9_9

These are the tests that we managed to do:

1. Cybershaft OP14 vs. Mutec Ref.10
  2. Antipodes with MC3+ vs. SOtM Stable with MC3+
  3. Bridged Macbook unoptimised with MC3+ vs. Antipodes with MC3+
  4. Bridged Macbook unoptimised vs. Antipodes with MC3+
  5. Antipodes with SOtM Stable with MC3+ vs. All of the above
  6. Antipodes to UltraRendu to MC3+ vs. (5)
  7. Habst 75ohm cable vs. Pasternack RG216 75ohm cable 

Will try to write it up over the next few days. :D

I can't wait!

Thanks that you’ll share your finding, looking forward to it!

Secretly hope that the Antipodes performance is on an equal/similar level as ‘stable’ set ups, so a serious reduction in boxes / spagetti is on the horizon.

4 hours ago, FredM said:

Secretly hope that the Antipodes performance is on an equal/similar level as ‘stable’ set ups, so a serious reduction in boxes / spagetti is on the horizon.

What are you going to do if the best sound includes both the Antipodes and the SOtM trifecta?  

9 hours ago, flkin said:

That was a great meet Khun Are @Kritpoon! Thanks for coming over with your equipment and spending 4 hours with me on swapping cable, power supples and other stuff.

We have Interesting results that will probably involve both of us spending more money! 9_9

These are the tests that we managed to do:

1. Cybershaft OP14 vs. Mutec Ref.10
  2. Antipodes with MC3+ vs. SOtM Stable with MC3+
  3. Bridged Macbook unoptimised with MC3+ vs. Antipodes with MC3+
  4. Bridged Macbook unoptimised vs. Antipodes with MC3+
  5. Antipodes with SOtM Stable with MC3+ vs. All of the above
  6. Antipodes to UltraRendu to MC3+ vs. (5)
  7. Habst 75ohm cable vs. Pasternack RG216 75ohm cable 

Will try to write it up over the next few days. :D

It was great fun meeting Khun Kin @flkin and thank you for being such great host and let me listen to your great sounding audio system (I actually has one of those goose bumps moment listen to one of the song). From our fruitful 4 hours, I hope that our findings will be beneficial to a lot of people at CA and hopefully will answer a lot of questions that people have in their mind. Me @flkin and our other audiophile friend who was there has the same/similar agreement on the findings. I am really looking forward to Khun Kin report and thank you for being such sport that you take your time to write up what we have found (as for myself I am not very well at explaining things). But I will try to add on anything I remember to Khun Kin's article once it published. We did a lot and lots of very interesting tests, for me one conclusion from all these are that of the importance of the clock and its cable in digital audio chain.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

What are you going to do if the best sound includes both the Antipodes and the SOtM trifecta?  

Haha, luckily there is a box AND budget cap in place :D

Given the already excellent individual performances I can only image the Antipodes + SOtM sable + mutec will be absolutely mind blowing (counting 6 boxes before the DAC O.o)

ps Dear flkin, when writing your findings, please be careful with your enthusiasm, it can set a new holy hifi grail in this madhouse place..

Looking forward to see your findings..