IGNORED

Decision: Schitt Modi Multibit or Pro-Ject Pre Box S2

In the FWIW column.

Had a Nano, bought an iDSD, sold the iDSD 60 days after as I wasn't impressed.

The Gen5 USB section in Schiit DAC's is terrific for PCM

I've auditioned multibit with Gungnir and Ygdrassil; multibit is great, has a natural sound, no digital artifacts that I could hear..

Stick with Schiit or Chord as the pack leaders; don't buy yesterdays DAC tech.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 2/13/2018 at 5:49 PM, bigbob said:

Rocky, don't count me among those who are mad.

My review unit of the Schiit Multibit just arrived, and I am into my first listening-- of a 24/192 Linn recording of various artists for their 40th Anniversary Collection.

I heard an immediate difference between the Mimby and the iFi iOne I had been testing.

Again, the Schiit has an almost 'creamy' presentation in the way that a pint of Haagen Dazs ice cream tastes better if you let it soften a little, as opposed the frozen hard. (I am not like most of the Audiophile Literati, maybe because I enjoy Great Food as much as I enjoy High Fidelity Stereo music)

My normal listening level on my receiver is -20dB. With the Mimby, I can go up to -15dB and a wealth of detail is revealed.

My catchphrase is becoming, "I am hearing this passage for The First Time, despite playing it hundreds of times before."  And it has never been truer than the third cut, through the Mimby.

If the Yggdrasil can better this sound, at ten times the cost, I cannot imagine what that would sound like. But, at $249, this is an impressive soundstage, which is both holographic and filled with subtle details.

I haven't heard the Mimby, but having heard the Gumby and Yggdrasil side by side at CAF, it would be very easy to live with the Gumby in a system costing less than $10K.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system