IGNORED

New Live Album Melody Gardot

Ahhh thanks!! But what exactly does a not so impressive DR of 8-12 really mean? Like I think the new Diana Krall (Turn up the quiet) recording is especially good crisp recording, but not sure where it falls in the DR range.

How would you compare the two so I can gain some understanding.

Thanks, love your blog!

Holo Spring Kitsume Level 3, Singxer SU-1

7 hours ago, nick77 said:

Ahhh thanks!! But what exactly does a not so impressive DR of 8-12 really mean? Like I think the new Diana Krall (Turn up the quiet) recording is especially good crisp recording, but not sure where it falls in the DR range.

How would you compare the two so I can gain some understanding.

Thanks, love your blog!

Thank you. In a nutshell, an average DR of 10 is not great from a technical point of view. The Diana Krall you mentioned has an average of 12 (10-14), so already less compressed. But then again, the latest Diana Krall is by far not her most exciting work musically (at least to my ears). 

But all this means is that unlike Diana Krall, you probably won't hear the Melody Gardot played at an audio show.

However, listening to the album, I've never had one second of a concern about the audio quality. It gives you very much a feeling of being there. So just ignore the technical data and enjoy the music. It's great.

• 2 weeks later...

Live in Europe is a very good record.  Anyone who enjoys MG's music will appreciate it.  The sound quality is good, not great, and as it is a compilation from many different concerts the sound quality does vary from track to track.  

Hmmm, I have played Melody Gardot at RMAF with Sonore...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

But not this live album I presume?

The Absence.  Sound quality on that record is mostly very good.  I use the 24/96 from HDTracks.  But, i think there might be a track or two on the live album worth playing at a show.  To be clear, I will play good music at shows, even sometimes if it is not the absolute best in sound quality.  One can only take so much of the "audiophile approved" demo material over a three day show!

A couple of years back, on Sunday at RMAF, we played a TOOL track (at "11" of course) for a guy who came into our room, his smile when it was over made it totally worth all the people who made horrified faces...  Been known to occasionally cue up Nine Inch Nails as well.  Of course these are both bands which care quite a bit about recording quality.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

3 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

Check out her live EP Live at Soho, namely the Apple store in NYC. Early in her career before some of the pretense creeped into her live performances. Excellent sound and performances. Available on Qobuz.

There is also a recording of her playing live at FIP, the French radio station. Hard to find, but worth exploring.

Though I wouldn't go as far as "pretentious" with regards to her latest album.