IGNORED

Blue or red pill?

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

I have never said anything of the kind. Never.

Can you now, please, finally stop mixing up your ideas about audible differences in the exact same files, with differences I (and Mani for that sake) incur for by different playback means ?

Maybe write it on a wall somewhere so you won't forget ?

Kind regards,

Peter

I must have misunderstood you when you said this

Maybe you recall that in that thread of concern (blue/red pill) I warned a dozen times in advance about what you wanted to measure, couldn't

Different playback means can sound different, just as it does  with different types of S/W, even different S/W used to convert from .aiff to .wav . That's not unique. Most members wouldn't be too surprised about that.

Even playing from System Memory, or from 2 different storage locations can sound a little different.

An SSD and a HDD for example. That was demonstrated years ago at a C.A. Symposium .

IIRC, years ago Paul R demonstrated that a severely fragmented file can sound different too.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

By the way, since I added an ABX-style comparator to DeltaWave, I spent a lot of time testing it. Believe it or not, 9/10 is not that hard to get by just random guessing, or by selecting just A or just B repeatedly.

Sure. It's simple maths.

Anyone can try this. Toss a coin ten times. There is a 1 in 100 chance that you'll get heads (or tails) 9 times. Toss it enough times and you're very likely to get 9/10 at some point.

However, random guessing is not what I was doing in the blind test, hence why I scored 9/10 on my first attempt in the ABX.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Just now, manisandher said:

Sure. It's simple maths.

Anyone can try this. Toss a coin ten times. There is a 1 in 100 chance that you'll get heads (or tails) 9 times. Toss it enough times and you're very likely to get 9/10 at some point.

However, random guessing is not what I was doing in the blind test, hence why I scored 9/10 on my first attempt in the ABX.

Random or not, it is possible to get 9/10 result without trying. I've done it. It surprised me when I was just selecting A repeatedly that my score was so high. Caused me to spend a lot of time looking at the logic and I even re-implemented a more robust random number generator. And I still could duplicate this on occasion. I'm not saying you didn't hear a difference, there were differences in the analog captures. But a single 9/10 result is still not conclusive. Didn't you fail the first few attempts, or am I misremembering?

Maybe he'll tip your driver or make some other token effort to get you down to chez Mansr to see the side of the coin he drew in all this.    

Cordially settling a matter is always better than arguing on the internet.  Still I have to ask you to refresh our memory of who did the ADC recording on that day?

4 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Didn't you fail the first few attempts, or am I misremembering?

No, the first two attempts were just a random string, and I've explained at length that without a reference, it was impossible to identify A or B correctly. We conducted one set of 10 ABXs, and I scored 9/10.

If I bet you $100 against getting 9 heads (or tails) in 10 coin tosses, would you take it? Of course you wouldn't. No one in their right mind would. I didn't invite Mans up to my place to rely on luck in getting 9/10.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

15 minutes ago, manisandher said:

No, the first two attempts were just a random string, and I've explained at length that without a reference, it was impossible to identify A or B correctly. We conducted one set of 10 ABXs, and I scored 9/10.

If I bet you $100 against getting 9 heads (or tails) in 10 coin tosses, would you take it? Of course you wouldn't. No one in their right mind would. I didn't invite Mans up to my place to rely on luck in getting 9/10.

And I wouldn't bet my house, my car or anything of value that 9/10 is not going to happen by chance. So here we are :)

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

And I wouldn't bet my house, my car or anything of value that 9/10 is not going to happen. So here we are :)

If the up side was the value of my house, my car, etc., I'd do it in a heart beat.

And I suspect you would too :)

Hi Mani,

With no wish of interfering I just have a technical question.

As far as I understood DAC's analogue recordings were performed with DAC directly connected to Recorder. Fine.

A closer to reality  setting is to have DAC Output loaded with both amplifier and recording instrument during audio tests.

Was the above ever performed ?

Regards.

15 minutes ago, Arpiben said:

With no wish of interfering I just have a technical question.

As far as I understood DAC's analogue recordings were performed with DAC directly connected to Recorder. Fine.

A closer to reality  setting is to have DAC Output loaded with both amplifier and recording instrument during audio tests.

Was the above ever performed ?

I wanted to do it that way, but Mani refused.

5 minutes ago, alfe said:

Still below 10/10 😂

Yep, I still can't explain how I managed to get one wrong ;).

Mani.

2 hours ago, alfe said:

Still below 10/10 😂

Al

I would be willing to bet that once Mani's ears " locked in" to the differences that he would have been able to repeat that several more times before needing a refreshment break. On most occasions such as this, the setting up times reduce the time available.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

3 hours ago, mansr said:

I wanted to do it that way, but Mani refused.

And I don't blame him. He would be trying to maximise the audible differences so that they would hopefully even be heard by you,.:D

23 hours ago, rando said:

Still I have to ask you to refresh our memory of who did the ADC recording on that day?

The original analogue captures (DAC's analogue output -> Tascam DA-3000 -> 24/176.4 files) were undertaken by Mans and myself immediately after the ABX. I took some further captures after Mans left to help in analysis.

The Tascam DA-3000 has pretty decent specs and is a well-considered ADC, but seems lacking for the job in hand. The differences in audibility between A and B during the ABX were not down to any obvious differences in frequency response.

Mani.

• 1 year later...
On 8/6/2019 at 11:39 AM, manisandher said:

The original analogue captures (DAC's analogue output -> Tascam DA-3000 -> 24/176.4 files) were undertaken by Mans and myself immediately after the ABX. I took some further captures after Mans left to help in analysis.

The Tascam DA-3000 has pretty decent specs and is a well-considered ADC, but seems lacking for the job in hand. The differences in audibility between A and B during the ABX were not down to any obvious differences in frequency response.

Mani.

I recall some offhand remarks in the forum to the effect that the measurement equipment ought to have specs in the range of 10x as good as the device being measured.  Wonder if this means that unless you have one of the world's premiere ADCs measuring a good DAC, you're essentially measuring the limits of the ADC.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Wonder if this means that unless you have one of the world's premiere ADCs measuring a good DAC, you're essentially measuring the limits of the ADC.

That's probably the case.

But it's important to point out that the ADC was only being used to analyse what might be going on. It had absolutely no influence on the outcome of the ABX itself.

Mani.

Even a relatively poor measuring ADC would normally have the ability to register the differences in the output - which is all that is needed. It's not absolute performance that's being measured - but rather, a detectable variation.

Part of the Art of Science is to craft a method of observing something, when the measurement tools are "not good enough!" - not much use throwing up one's arms, and saying, "Ye canna do it!!"

• 5 months later...
14 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Curious about the recording chain. Was there something that was configured in XXHighEnd or was there something else in the digital path between the original file and the digital recorder that caused the recording to be so different in an all-digital chain?

image.thumb.png.331b4176418e9e89b963e3555d5ca659.png

image.thumb.png.5217cfb84c64adebcdfe40405cabb2fc.png

XXHighEnd was performing a couple of operations on the original file before passing it through to the DAC:

1. upsampling from 44.1k to 176.4k (DAC being used was non-oversampling)

2. attenuating (DAC was connected directly to power amp)

I attached the original file in case you wanted to take a look at it. But what we're really interested in, of course, are any differences between the 30 digital captures.

Edit: That's why I've always been careful to use the term bit-identical, as opposed to bit-perfect when referring to the digital captures.

9 minutes ago, manisandher said:

XXHighEnd was performing a couple of operations on the original file before passing it through to the DAC:

I attached the original file in case you wanted to take a look at it. But what we're really interested in, of course, are any differences between the 30 digital captures.

Edit: That's why I've always been careful to use the term bit-identical, as opposed to bit-perfect when referring to the digital captures.

That's still strange, as the changes to the original digital file are significant and certainly not even close to being bit-identical between the file and the recording. Attenuation would not account for this, since DeltaWave compensates for level differences.

18 minutes ago, manisandher said:

There are some differences at the beginning of the recording, as we discussed, but bit-perfect comparison between the A and B files after that. For example:

image.thumb.png.a35be3884041b6fe57c4bb7a0c1e14fa.png

The result says that the files samples match to 99.86%. For a 14 second recording at 176.4k this is about 3500 samples or about 20ms difference at the start.

31 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

That's still strange, as the changes to the original digital file are significant and certainly not even close to being bit-identical between the file and the recording. Attenuation would not account for this, since DeltaWave compensates for level differences.

It'll [edit: the HF attenuation will] be down to XXHighEnd's Arc Prediction filtering. Not a problem in the test though - both A and B were going through the exact same processing.

13 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

The result says that the files samples match to 99.86%. For a 14 second recording at 176.4k this is about 3500 samples or about 20ms difference at the start.

I can assure you (and everyone else) there was no 'tell' within the first 20ms of each music sample! And in any event, the mismatch was just due to the digital recorder's auto-start function. As you might imagine, I no longer use the auto-start function.

The signal reaching the DAC remained bit-identical throughout the ABX.