IGNORED

Does anyone know where to find DSD versions of any artists anyone has heard of?

2 hours ago, firedog said:

But I personally prefer the 24/192.

And that might be because the 24/192 is actually a remix from the original multi-tracks.

So it avoids any intermediate layer of tape, they went straight from the analog session tapes to the final mix in the digital domain, skipping a generation of tape hiss, wow and flutter, and other analog anomalies that are inherent to the typical 2-track stereo analog master.

The above taken in the context of the explanation in the HDtracks "About This Album" tab, further explains that due to this album's popularity the 2-track stereo master has at this point become worn, due to age and multiple uses beginning in the 1993 with the Sony Columbia "Master Sound" 20-bit SBM transfer for release on gold Redbook CD, the very first time the actual 2-track master tapes had been removed from the vaults in decades.

Once those master tapes are exposed to air, they begin to oxidize, and that coupled with use for various reissue projects on both digital and vinyl starts their ultimate deterioration.

Now thats not to say the original stereo master mix is destroyed or in unusable condition, nor does it mean someone might not prefer the original mix, but that 24/192 download is the 2013 transfer of the original multi-track session tapes and it sounds that way, a layer of haze is removed and the resulting pristine window into the original recording sessions is downright eery.

It sounds as if you are in the control booth at the Columbia 30th Street Studios, an absolutely fabulous and stunning remix that stays very faithful to the original yet eclipses it in terms of transparency, detail, and dynamics. Even those who own a perfectly good sounding version of the original mix (starting with that aforementioned Sony/Columbia Master Sound Gold CD release which itself was revelatory at the time), if you are a fan of this album you absolutely can't go wrong with the stellar remix on 24/192 download.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=z_p7Qbb_LAo

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

25 minutes ago, bigbob said:

I really didn't have an interest in replacing all the Hi-Res files I already have.

Nor should you, especially since they too (PCM downloads from HDtracks or elsewhere) cost a pretty penny, so not wholly unlike DSD in that respect.

39 minutes ago, bigbob said:

...compared to 16/44 Redbook CDs--which by the way, are available for free at your public library--to rip into FLAC files.

And that is of course, illegal. You should not be supporting the idea of copyright infringement or illegal copying/redistribution of CD media content you haven't paid for. That is a fact and not an opinion.

26 minutes ago, bigbob said:

I am happy with 24/192 and will challenge anyone with a system like mine to hear the difference.

Except that often there is different mastering or sometimes even a different tape source involved, and that typically is audible, so probably not a great idea to issue challenges over that which you haven't even heard.

31 minutes ago, bigbob said:

My friends at Schiit, Jason Stoddard, formerly of Sumo, and Mike Moffat, formerly of Theta, have shown no interest in either DSD or MQA, which is to say: 

P.T. Barnum said it best, "There's a sucker born every minute."

The guys at Schiit are both respected and entitled to their own opinion on such matters, but that is absolutely not in support of or equating to your sucker born every minute analogy as it relates to DSD or SACD. Rather, it is to say Schiit sees no big commercial value or business case for offering DSD in their own products. Many other also well respected manufacturers have taken a different route, and neither stance is the one and only acceptable "right answer" or conclusion. Schiit is well in the minority with their stance I might add, DSD compatibility in the DAC market is damn near ubiquitous at this point, and doesn't need to cost a ton, case in point the iFi products as one example.

46 minutes ago, bigbob said:

the desire to seek and acquire the next Big Thing.

Neither SACD, nor DSD downloads are even remotely the next "Big Thing", and probably never were at any moment in time. If SACD were ever considered in that light, it would have been roughly 1999-2000 or so and that enthusiasm quickly evaporated.

DSD downloads as the next "Big Thing"? That never actually happened at all, though if you believe the mainstream audio press there was a still briefer period than as with SACD, roughly late summer 2013 or so if memory serves, when the record labels and a couple of download distributors attempted and failed to create such a buzz. So not the next "Big Thing" audiophilia dilemma you are suggesting, actually very old news by now, closing in on 5 years ago.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

15 minutes ago, bigbob said:

Maybe "you don't have a leg to stand on" doesn't offend you, but it is offensive to me.

Bob I just read through that post, and you've taken that entirely out of context. Not fair at all to siltech817 as others have already stated, how did you expect him to know about your personal details?

Granted, we now all understand that such a remark is offensive to you, but in reading through the various posts I don't see where anyone tried to specifically offend you. As others above have stated, we had no idea of any disability and certainly would never use such a condition to offend you in any way.

On the other hand, you were most certainly offensive accusing siltech817 being an ignorant bigot, just as you were earlier in the thread where you equated DSD download buyers as an example of a sucker born every minute.

You just did it again taking a stab at Wilson loudspeakers, for no reason other than their price?

C'mon man, you started a thread asking where to get DSD downloads by known artists, and when provided that information you attack the very buyers of DSD with being suckers? That looks like baiting to me.

Even your advocating of Schiit was also misguided in that same regard (you do know that Schiit pricing you so love is not really them being charitable, it their business model that cuts out the dealer 40% margin).

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook