IGNORED

Help: Stopping music without manually turning it down

mysteriouscaecill

Hi,

I wouldn't exactly call myself an audiophile but I purchased a Linn Hifi some years ago. It's stood the test of time very well and still sounds amazing.

I'm hoping to use your knowledge to answer my question: Is it bad for the speakers to press the 'Mute' button instead of manually turning the volume down to 0?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

10 minutes ago, mourip said:

I am certain that it would not plus when you un-mute it returns you back to the volume level that you had set.

Enjoy.

That's true. Perhaps I could've phrased it more clearly, but I meant to ask whether pressing mute from a high volume harms the speakers? In other words, would being at 70% volume and pressing mute (causing an immediate 'vertical' reduction to 0%) be more harmful than manually pressing the - button and 'diagonally' reducing it to 0%?

If anything I would have worried about the opposite but given how omnipresent mute buttons are on remotes I doubt it.

The mute on my present Tortuga Audio LDR preamp ramps up and down so that would solve any issues however....

...Since I contracted audiophilia in the early 80's I have never heard of speakers being hurt by muting :-)

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

It should not. Some devices, such as mourip's, even do a gradual ramp to avoid annoying pops. Do you notice a pop or tick when (dis)engaging the mute function? Either way, I don't think Linn would make anything that's harmful to your speakers.