IGNORED

Controlling Foobar2000 via upnp using another PC

chauphuong

On 2/7/2018 at 1:48 PM, CatManDo said:

"Foobar2000 controller" by Sergi Mola is meant to be used with an Android device, but it also works with the internet browser of any device in the same network

http://foobar2000controller.blogspot.com.es/p/how-to-start.html

Install the "PC Installer" on the server PC running Foobar2000, then open a browser on a client PC and use the procedure described in the "2 - Check installation" section.

A webpage with Foobar control buttons and a tracklist will appear in the browser. I've been using this remote control method on my Windows notebook until I got an Android tablet.

You can use both a PC and an Android device to remote control Foobar2000 with this installation. No need to change anything when switching devices.

The OP is already running a version of the HTTP Control in the foo_foobarCon fb2 plugin, as provided by the developers of the FoobarCon, so there should be no need to install the original foo_httpcontrol plugin by running the "PC Installer" provided by the developer of the Foobar2000 Controller.

As you say, that "PC Installer" does also install the original 'default' remote control webpage template. However, it is also available to download and install manually from the downloads section in foo_httpcontrol Wiki site:

https://bitbucket.org/oblikoamorale/foo_httpcontrol/wiki/Home

The 'default' template is a bit basic, but functional. The ' ajquery' template, that's also available from the downloads section, is a bit better both in its presentation and especially in its music library search.

Another reasonably looking template is 'Sidebar', available here:

https://vangeijt.home.xs4all.nl/fb2ksidebar/

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

On 2/6/2018 at 7:04 PM, chauphuong said:

Hi, for the moment I use a dual pc, foobar upnp system (1 pc as server and 1 pc as renderer, both runs Foobar2000). With my gear, Foobar UPnP's SQ is better than Roon's. Browsing and controlling is done through FoobarCon Pro installed on an Android phobr. Everything works flawlessly.

As I often work at home on a laptop, I want to control the aforementioned system using this laptop rather than the Android phone. My understanding is that I have to install Foobar on the laptop plus foo_upnp etc. I have tried to get things done but so far failed to use my laptop as the controller. Would anyone please provide me with specific guide about what to do step by step?

Thanks in advance.

What exactly do you mean by "a dual pc, foobar upnp system (1 pc as server and 1 pc as renderer, both runs Foobar2000)"?

Do you actually mean you have installed the foo_out_upnp plugin for foobar2000 on the 'server' pc, so that you can playback fb2k's (built-in) music library and use UPnP to network stream its audio output (either as raw LPCM or as a WAV file) to the 'renderer' pc, which is setup with foobar2000 as a UPnP renderer via the foo_upnp plugin?

If so, then by implication you are currently using the FoobarCon Pro Android to remote control the music library browsing & playback user interface of foobar2000 on the 'server' PC.

This has absolutely nothing to do with UPnP, so the title of your thread and your understanding that this can be imitated on the laptop by installing foobar2000 "plus foo_upnp etc" are both incorrect.

You are also likely to start confusing others into thinking you require some sort of UPnP controller solution, such as has appeared to have happened with @PleasantSounds's and @jcn3's posts.

I don't know of any plugins for foobar2000 that would allow you to remote control foobar2000 running on another computer on the network. Your best bet is to:

- either do what @CatManDo has suggested, in terms of using a web browser on the laptop to access the HTTP Control fb2k plugin web server running on the 'server' pc, with an appropriate remote control webpage template of your choice;

- or use Windows Remote Desktop (or similar equivalent VNC type application) on your Windows laptop to control the actual Windows desktop (and therefore fb2k) of the 'server' pc.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

• 4 weeks later...

On 3/3/2018 at 5:28 PM, chauphuong said:

Thanks all for your tips and advice. I have found the (possibly) best way: android emulator on pc and a upnp controller software installed.

I presume you actually mean you are using a foobar2000 (only) remote control app on the Android emulator on the pc similar to, if not the same, as the FoobarCon Pro app you used on your Android phone.

A foobar2000 remote control app like FoobarCon is not a standard upnp controller app, ie, it does not have a standard UPnP control point for controlling the playback of standard UPnP renderers (aka streamers, aka network audio file players) using music files provided by UPnP media servers.

I did mention this in my last post - I hope you are not still confused about it. :)

However, good call on using an Android emulator on the Windows laptop to run the remote control app!

Which emulator are you using?

I've recently been testing MEmu and it works well on my low spec Windows 10 laptop, with hardly any noticeable lag considering Windows is still there. Of course, I'm not using it to run heavy graphic using game/video apps!

-- Jo Cox

Ah, ok - in which case as you are now using normal UPnP media server/UPnP renderer streaming setup, you should be able to control the playback with a Windows UPnP controller on the laptop.

Couldn't you find a suitable Windows UPnP controller, so had to use an Android one via the Android emulator?

Did you try the Windows version of the Linn Kazoo OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) controller (so requires the BubbleUPnP Server to provide the OpenHome support to work with fb2k's standard UPnP supporting foo_upnp renderer), as described by @jcn3's post?

-- Jo Cox