IGNORED

Did you switch your music player application in 2017?

davide256

Did you switch your music player application in 2017?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. If you changed the primary music player you used in 2017, what player did you switch to? Borrowing from beerandmusic's excellent poll idea and thread results so far, I'm filling in only for the top 4 players in use by the CA community; JRiver, HQPlayer, Roon, and Audirvarna. An other category is listed if you switched to a player not named.

• changed to Roon
    • changed to HQPlayer
    • changed to Audirvarna
    • changed to JRiver
    • Bought a solution where the player was built into the hardware, choices above N/A.
    • changed from one of the above to an unlisted player

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/08/18 at 05:00 AM

No. I have used JRiver from six months after I first started (with Windows Media Player/Center) in 2012. And see no reason to change. It does 'bit perfect' which of course cannot be improved on  and I like the '3D' interface function, though it has others. And it has an excellent 'remote' facility with iOS or Android..

Some of its video functions are a touch 'ragged' (though do work)   but I rarely use video anyway.

2 hours ago, daverich4 said:

Any particular reason? That is, are there things in both of them that you prefer over the other one?

Sure, otherwise I would stick with one. 

Roon is beautiful and its interface is friendly.  It fails to load some of my files and its handling of classical music is imperfect.  I have  difficulties in correcting these problems efficiently.

JRiver is clean and can be configured to suit me.  Its underlying power lets me load anything and fix metadata issues efficiently.  Documentation is poor but it can solve issues in ways that I am still discovering.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I switched from JRiver to HQPlayer in order to upsample my files to DSD512. I have not yet committed myself to a remote interface. While Roon provides a friendly and attractive interface, it is expensive if one uses it solely as a remote control app for HQPlayer.

I have recently been playing with HQPDcontrol, a free app, which provides a simple remote interface for HQPlayer that offers organization by artist or album. Artists are shown in a list. Albums are displayed by album cover art with the title and artist shown in text below. It also offers the option to show the format of all albums below the cover art as well. HQPlayer's library creation leaves a lot to be desired and produces many errors that require tedious manual correction.

IMO, JRiver's best feature is the ease with which one can edit metadata. The ability to create your own views is another desirable feature.  

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Sure, otherwise I would stick with one. 

I need to add that my comments are based on my library of classical recordings and most of them are high resolution and multichannel.  I do not upsample but I usually downsample to 24/192 in order to use roomEQ.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile