8 hours ago, HallmanLabs said:

ESS sent me two docs when I requested all ES9038 documentation and one was a glorified sales ad/paper. The other was just the basic 64 pins assignments. By this point I expected the ES9038 whitesheet or atleast the full datasheet.

You won't get it that easily. They'll only supply it to customers. Maybe buying a sample chip is enough. The ESS datasheets I have were obtained through unofficial channels.

8 hours ago, HallmanLabs said:

If there is little danger with short exposure to non-ideal conditions, then this thing might come back to life with the right troubleshooting.

Have you tried restoring it to a once working configuration?

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

Have you tried restoring it to a once working configuration?

Yes, that was the first thing I did. Keep in mind we are only talking about change with regard to the oscillator, nothing else changed. 

When I was using the oscillator module, after 2-3 mins of being on, I started to feel the heat on its heat sink and unplugged it. I have tried three or four different oscillators that previously worked in the unit, same results. Only thing I haven't tried is to turn the dedicated oscillator module back on and plug it back in :) 

Home: FUN01 v2.0 XMOS DSD DAC (Similar to Singxer SU-1)  -> I2S In -> Custom ES9038Pro (2x Sparkos SS3601, 2x Sparkos SS3602) -> Burson Cable+ RCA to RCA -> Yamaha RX-V863 -> Kimber KWIK-12 cable -> Wharfedale Diamond 220's

Headphones: Modded Aune T1 w/ 1963 Amperex Holland 7308 Bugle Boy -> Kenwood Basic C-2 -> Magni 2 -> Audeze EL-8

Burson V5-OPA & V5i Initial Review   |  Hallman Labs (my personal review/build log website)

1 minute ago, HallmanLabs said:

Yes, that was the first thing I did. Keep in mind we are only talking about change with regard to the oscillator, nothing else changed. 

When I was using the oscillator module, after 2-3 mins of being on, I started to feel the heat on its heat sink and unplugged it. I have tried three or four different oscillators that previously worked in the unit, same results.

Did you try to scope right at the output of the oscillator, now that you've put it back in? At least that'll tell you if that part is functioning properly. Even if the oscillator is OK, is it getting proper power, is the output shorted, etc, etc.?

I've already verified that power input and almost every other voltage point I listed in the OP. That was what I used the Analog Discovery2 for before switching to the CRT 100MHz oscilloscope to measure data lines. All of the voltages looked great with regard to noise on the line, it was almost non-existent. 

You are right though, I can capture the oscillator easily. Will report back!

Home: FUN01 v2.0 XMOS DSD DAC (Similar to Singxer SU-1)  -> I2S In -> Custom ES9038Pro (2x Sparkos SS3601, 2x Sparkos SS3602) -> Burson Cable+ RCA to RCA -> Yamaha RX-V863 -> Kimber KWIK-12 cable -> Wharfedale Diamond 220's

Headphones: Modded Aune T1 w/ 1963 Amperex Holland 7308 Bugle Boy -> Kenwood Basic C-2 -> Magni 2 -> Audeze EL-8

Burson V5-OPA & V5i Initial Review   |  Hallman Labs (my personal review/build log website)

Just checked the output of the oscillator and it reads 100 MHz on the dot with a perfect sine wave on the scope display. 

The only odd thing I noticed was the intensity of the sine wave (how "bright" the waveform is) was lower than usual, but still easily visible.

Just now, HallmanLabs said:

Just checked the output of the oscillator and it reads 100 MHz on the dot with a perfect sine wave on the scope display.

That, unfortunately, means the problem is elsewhere. Likely with the DAC chip. What was the voltage at the output? Around 0.5v?

Yeah, right around 0.5V

Does this lead us back in the direction of the PLL circuit then? I don't think I ever heard anyone say for sure where the PLL circuit is. If it is on the ES9038 itself or not.

If this does come down to a ruined ES9038, I will just stick my spare ES9028Pro on this board.

3 minutes ago, HallmanLabs said:

The only odd thing I noticed was the intensity of the sine wave (how "bright" the waveform is) was lower than usual, but still easily visible.

The trace brightness on an analogue scope reduces as the horizontal sweep rate increases.

6 minutes ago, HallmanLabs said:

Yeah, right around 0.5V

Does this lead us back in the direction of the PLL circuit then? I don't think I ever heard anyone say for sure where the PLL circuit is. If it is on the ES9038 itself or not.

The PLL is part of the ES9038 chip. The "no lock" indication just means the chip fails to assert the lock signal. This doesn't mean the damage is necessarily to the PLL circuit. Not that it matters. Whatever part is broken, it's useless.

6 minutes ago, HallmanLabs said:

If this does come down to a ruined ES9038, I will just stick my spare ES9028Pro on this board.

Are they pin compatible?

At the risk of stating the obvious, from the photos there appears to be a solder bridge on the DAC chip. If that is not the case, then as stated, the chip is likely shot. Up thread the OP mentioned having failed using hot air. Hot air reworking is the bomb if one has a good handle on it, but I'd recommend using an iron, added flux and solder paste. Cleaning up excess solder with solder wick. For removal, simply cut the legs off with an exacto knife close to the DAC body removing the legs afterwards. There are lots of videos on youtube. Practice on some old boards. It appears your technique could be honed. Those tantulum looking caps in that same photo seem sketchy. Some suggest using a microscope for this sorta thing, but to date I've done quite well using optivisors.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

The DAC chip is supposed to have those pins bridged. I have the same board.  Would love the schematic.  I would to take out the opamps and slide in a tube output.  Not sure what tubes yet.  Maybe 6N6pi or 12SN7s.  Have to see what I can work out.  

Yeah those pins are both ground pins and are intended to be shorted!

Thanks for trying though!

As to save my review opportunities from Burson Audio, Sparkos Labs & Orange Amplification, I went ahead and got a completed ES9038PRO DAC for $399 shipped (w/o USB module). This is nearly exactly like the one I put together in this enclosure, besides a few capacitor differences. This unit should arrive in 6 to 12 days.

After I get those reviews out of the way I will use the other DAC for easy A/B comparisons. I plan to mod this pre-built unit as little as possible to ensure it is always dependable. I will also review this pre-built ES9038PRO overall, in comparison with the one I made.