IGNORED

The Brinkman Ship MQA Listening Results

3 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

Considering Chris already mentioned Brinkman Ship is using a VPN to hide his location.  A little back story to cover things up and then boom, full on MQA hate.

I think history can repeat itself...

The timeline works. Fair Hedon was banned on 1/26 and Brinkman Ship joined on 1/28. 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 minute ago, NOMBEDES said:

I do not remember why F. Hedon was banned*.  But I thought he was in the UK.  Mr. Ship appears to be in New York City.

* why was he banned?

Here is the thread where Chris banned him:

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

3 hours ago, Spacehound said:

We in the UK must be somewhat backward. l suspect less than 1 in a  1000 would know what a DAC is, let alone a 'music' one.

Similar odds here in Aus, maybe less, certainly none of my friends have ever heard of one. Worst still I've yet to find anyone serving inside an Apple retail store, supposedly technically savvy people, who know what a DAC is. 

We are very much a niche hobby, one of the reasons why the majority of people don't care about hi res and compression and hi res, they simply don't know about it.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

This analogy doesn’t work because no one says they’ve seen the edge of the flat earth.

I think pejorative is the word you're looking for.  And even as a pejorative,  it's weak because it's rooted in ad hominem.  Something that was used to dismiss imbecilic peasantry (those who actually believe the earth is flat) is co-opted in this case to mean someone who is not an audiophile "believer".  In other words, Scoggins is agreeing with you. :)

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I agree - we need some Scroggs to tell us what we are hearing

I must confess I enjoy telling Steven Stone what he is hearing when it comes to sound stages. He was not amused especially when it involved seating at various venues. 

In Lee's case his financial analysis is some of most entertaining stuff I read. As for his audio reviews well it's got shiny knobs what else do you need?

26 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I must have missed the "full on MQA hate" part.  But it was fascinating to see the factions invert once @Brinkman Ship did some critical listening.  I'm more interested to hear the results of @Lee Scoggins intense, weeks long investigation into the nuances of MQA.  10,000 quatloos says he will proclaim that "experts" have assured him that he can be utterly confident of MQA's awesomeness.

You don't think it's odd how he went from inquisitive about MQA to the following posts that quickly?

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/38441-the-brinkman-ship-mqa-listening-results/?do=findComment&comment=776361

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/38441-the-brinkman-ship-mqa-listening-results/?do=findComment&comment=776366

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/38441-the-brinkman-ship-mqa-listening-results/?do=findComment&comment=776387

Scoggins has allot of research to do, but I think he might now realize he needs to advertise elsewhere.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I am perplexed. Fair who? It seems the Pro MQA posters are just trying to discredit my findings. It seems to be their Modus Operandi. Anything or anybody who puts MQA in a bad light immediately gets attacked as either incompetent, a sock puppet, or is accused of having a crappy system. Enough.

I put in the hard yards of doing long hours of comparisons, and it seems the MQA fan boys do not like that. I was attempting to provide some sort of feedback to folks who may not have the opportunity to do valid comparisons. I am sure this is by design, but it requires a lot planning..an MQA DAC, hi-rez files, a Tidal account, etc.

So it seems the witch hunt has gone from MQA shills to MQA disbelievers. Fancy that.

Just now, Brinkman Ship said:

I am perplexed. Fair who? It seems the Pro MQA posters are just trying to discredit my findings. It seems to be

their Modus Operandi. Anything or anybody who puts MQA in a bad light immediately gets attacked as either incompetent,

a sock puppet, or is accused of having a crappy system. Enough.

I put in the hard yards of doing long hours of comparisons, and it seems the MQA fan boys do not like that. I was attempting to provide some sort of feedback to folks who may not have the opportunity to do valid comparisons. I am sure this is by design, but it requires a lot planning..an MQA DAC, hi-rez files, a Tidal account, etc.

So it seems the witch hunt has gone from MQA shills to MQA disbelievers. Fancy that.

You seemed pretty pro-MQA (or at least, mostly in support of the Audiophile Establishment) when you first posted.  The turnabout was rather sudden, which has people who are pretty much always suspicious really, really suspicious.

Personally, I'm envious of that system you did your listening tests with.  I've only listened to MQA on sub-$300 DACs and in a rare celestial alignment, find myself in agreement with @GUTB that MQA is underwhelming on those DACs.  Some of the most recent findings by Archimago suggest that MQA will sound different (not necessarily "better") than straight PCM. I appreciate the work you did with your testing.

My advice is to try to keep an open mind regarding who you think the "fanboys" are.  Some of them are not fanboys, just veterans of internet forums and deeply suspicious of anyone with a whiff of sock puppetry.

The ones of the forum you have to be the most mindful of are the self-appointed Civility Police.  They hold a lot of sway with Chris and can usually get someone banned very quickly.

31 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

You seemed pretty pro-MQA (or at least, mostly in support of the Audiophile Establishment) when you first posted.  The turnabout was rather sudden, which has people who are pretty much always suspicious really, really suspicious.

Personally, I'm envious of that system you did your listening tests with.  I've only listened to MQA on sub-$300 DACs and in a rare celestial alignment, find myself in agreement with @GUTB that MQA is underwhelming on those DACs.  Some of the most recent findings by Archimago suggest that MQA will sound different (not necessarily "better") than straight PCM. I appreciate the work you did with your testing.

My advice is to try to keep an open mind regarding who you think the "fanboys" are.  Some of them are not fanboys, just veterans of internet forums and deeply suspicious of anyone with a whiff of sock puppetry.

The ones of the forum you have to be the most mindful of are the self-appointed Civility Police.  They hold a lot of sway with Chris and can usually get someone banned very quickly.

He’s lying. He doesn’t have a rich audiophile friend, and they didn’t spend a day together performing careful blind listening tests with vinyl palette cleanses of the same albums to make a judgement call on MQA. It’s crazy that I have to even point this out...

2 minutes ago, GUTB said:

He’s lying. He doesn’t have a rich audiophile friend...

Or at least, you hope he's lying.  But you don't know.  I know a guy (I guess we call each other friends) who has a mid six figure system, dedicated listening room with furniture that's shockingly (at least to me) expensive and an ocean view than most would envy.

Just because you don't seem to have any affluent friends doesn't mean no one does.

Just now, Samuel T Cogley said:

Or at least, you hope he's lying.  But you don't know.  I know a guy (I guess we call each other friends) who has a mid six figure system, dedicated listening room with furniture that's shockingly (at least to me) expensive and an ocean view than most would envy.

Just because you don't seem to have any affluent friends doesn't mean no one does.

I think it is a case of he does wish I was lying..because my findings do not fit his pro MQA narrative.

1 hour ago, Brinkman Ship said:

if also rather straight forward.

Straightforward? Lets see:

29th Jan "As someone who has been enjoying MQA for the past few months via Tidal"

5th Feb "MQA is by far the biggest farce ever perpetrated in "high end audio"

Also on 5th Feb (your recent testing) "...requires a lot planning..an MQA DAC....a Tidal account, etc." although you presumably had already had a Tidal account and a MQA DAC for the past few months, so not much planning needed really?  Bit of a cock up on the backstory there.

According to Chris you joined with the email address "mqatruth"  (48 hrs after a member who shares a certain stylistic approach, and incidentally also owns a BDP streamer, was banned) and went to some lengths to conceal your location.