IGNORED

The Brinkman Ship MQA Listening Results

8 minutes ago, GUTB said:

What's funny about that?

Wait, even better..

Nothing like a little blue light to help with intimacy...lol

"The first recording that made the little light on my Explorer2 turn blue—indicating that an MQA Studio file is playing—was Sally Beamish's Under the Wing of the Rock, with viola soloist Soon-Mi Chung, and Oyvind Bjora conducting the Oslo Camerata (SACD/CD, 2L-119-SACD). Listening through my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones and then my home system, I was struck by a remarkable sense of intimacy, a close connection to the solo instrument.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/meridian-explorer2-da-headphone-amplifier-page-2#ObkLZmkIms6Ed3Mb.99

Just now, NOMBEDES said:

Let me fix this for you:

Set up a booth in the center of a large city:

1. Ask 1000 people "What is an audio DAC?"  You will get maybe 50 to 100 folks who can answer the question.  (this demonstration will indicate how few people give a crap about our hobby)

2.  Ask 1000 people to compare a high resolution audio file with a standard redbook file.   You will get a distribution of "no difference" "high rez is better" and "standard rez is better".   (This exercise will show you that few random participants can tell the difference between files.)

3.  Play a MQA file and a standard file for the casual listener and you may get the same distribution of no difference to better and worse.

Now to marketing:   The entire audio industry is based on the fact that human hearing preferences can be plotted on a bell curve.   Some audio consumers will like cable A over cable B.  If you can sell 25 sets of expensive cables for a 2000% mark up, Bob's your uncle and you have made a profit.  Please note that there is no audio advantage over cable A or B there is only human preference.   MQA is just more of the same marketing;  based upon, "let's make it sound different and will someone will spend money".  Just like cables and other audio/marketing voodoo,  there is no sonic advantage to MQA there is only the fact that some folks will like it and buy it.

We have had fully 36000 posts on MQA, all worthless:

if you like the sound, it follows that you should embrace the technology, if you don't like the sound, ignore it.

Wrong.

I am perplexed. Fair who? It seems the Pro MQA posters are just trying to discredit my findings. It seems to be their Modus Operandi. Anything or anybody who puts MQA in a bad light immediately gets attacked as either incompetent, a sock puppet, or is accused of having a crappy system. Enough.

I put in the hard yards of doing long hours of comparisons, and it seems the MQA fan boys do not like that. I was attempting to provide some sort of feedback to folks who may not have the opportunity to do valid comparisons. I am sure this is by design, but it requires a lot planning..an MQA DAC, hi-rez files, a Tidal account, etc.

So it seems the witch hunt has gone from MQA shills to MQA disbelievers. Fancy that.

Just now, Samuel T Cogley said:

Or at least, you hope he's lying.  But you don't know.  I know a guy (I guess we call each other friends) who has a mid six figure system, dedicated listening room with furniture that's shockingly (at least to me) expensive and an ocean view than most would envy.

Just because you don't seem to have any affluent friends doesn't mean no one does.

I think it is a case of he does wish I was lying..because my findings do not fit his pro MQA narrative.

Just now, Norton said:

Straightforward? Lets see:

29th Jan "As someone who has been enjoying MQA for the past few months via Tidal"

5th Feb "MQA is by far the biggest farce ever perpetrated in "high end audio"

Also on 5th Feb (your recent testing) "...requires a lot planning..an MQA DAC....a Tidal account, etc." although you presumably had already had a Tidal account and a MQA DAC for the past few months, so not much planning needed really?  Bit of a cock up on the backstory there.

According to Chris you joined with the email address "mqatruth"  (48 hrs after a member who shares a certain stylistic approach was banned) and went to some lengths to conceal your identity.

I don't know what you are on about it. Carry on.

7 minutes ago, rischa said:

CA rocks. This highly entertaing thread would have been closed 3 pages ago on SHMF. I don't know who to beleve here, but the drama and intrigue make for a great read! 

Interesting. I don;t see any reason why this thread would be closed..it has been civil, and not really controversial.

But why find out about SHMF...I will post there.

6 minutes ago, rischa said:

I'd say it is controversial, but that's what makes it interesting. SHMF is highly regulated and controversy isn't tolerated there for long. It makes for a civil forum, which has its merits, but too often threads get closed just as they're getting to be a fun read (like Lee Scoggins' MQA article thread). Now, please carry on!

Thread up.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/reference-level-system-mqa-listening-results.729556/

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

Could you give a link to where I raved about the sound, listening to MQA files with those DACs, please. TIA.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

You are correct, it was with the Meridian Prime initially. I stand corrected. I had a Prime for a short while and found it unsatisfying. Link below for reference.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-mqa

1 hour ago, Albrecht said:

I am not saying that you're doing this, - (as I haven't read every single post in this thread), - but i don't think that you need to sell the fact that high end audio consumers have wholeheartedly rejected MQA. I DO agree that the audiophile enthusiast review publications are largely supporting MQA, - with a big, notable exception in Doug Schneider. What my take is that a fair number of supporters have been bamboozled by some vague, (pro-tech gadget), propaganda. "If it's high tech, it's good."

What MQA is, is akin to a cheap reverb tank.  (Musicians, are very woke or easily awakened to these things). These "digital filters" are just another flavor of formaldehyde cookies.

While running MQA, Meridian, & a cowed media into the ground, - don't forget to add Tidal, the criminal record labels, ISPs, and streaming music in general to the list. All are part of the problem, and all are harmful to the artists and the listeners who love them.

Lots here to digest but of course I largely agree!

38 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Thank you for the correction. And perhaps you could now also withdraw your statement that I raved about the sound of MQA files with Bluesound gear.

I have no problem with people criticizing me for things I have said or done. But  that doesn't mean anonymous posters can just make stuff up about me.

John Atkinson

Editor, Streophile

Yes, it was Jim Austin who raved about MQA with the Explorer 2. Not you.

Actually I was trying to attribute the Bluesound (and Explorer2) rave to a group of reviewers: John Darko, Michael Lavorgna, and others,  WHO DID use them , and it seems I did not do this correctly.

For the record, you clearly did not use those units, but the Prime and the flagship Meridian DAC in your MQA write ups.