IGNORED

joes1234

Yes these sites charge for each download and they charge more for 96/24. There are many sites available and they will all be very happy to take your money.   Since you do not list your location it is difficult to recommend a download site.  Downloading sites my be restricted to a geographical area.  Good luck!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Thanx kumakuma just checked it out looks like it will be useful with all the criteria to check off.

Now if I download a song (windows 7) can I change the format while it's on my hardrive? FLAC/ WAV/WMA/ ALAC ect.

I intend to save songs on a hardrive uncompressed then play them through my DAC

32 minutes ago, joes1234 said:

Thanx kumakuma just checked it out looks like it will be useful with all the criteria to check off.

Now if I download a song (windows 7) can I change the format while it's on my hardrive? FLAC/ WAV/WMA/ ALAC ect.

I intend to save songs on a hardrive uncompressed then play them through my DAC

You are welcome. You shouldn't have any issue converting the files to whatever you need. I often purchase in one format and convert/downsample to another format for use on my portable devices.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

• 4 weeks later...

joes1234,

Welcome to the CA community. When you create a new topic, I would respectfully suggest that you write the subject matter of your post in the Title, instead of your forum name or "newbie".  That way members may know if they are in a position to contribute to your questions or area of interest.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

On 3/3/2018 at 3:38 PM, Allan F said:

joes1234,

Welcome to the CA community. When you create a new topic, I would respectfully suggest that you write the subject matter of your post in the Title, instead of your forum name or "newbie".  That way members may know if they are in a position to contribute to your questions or area of interest.

Will do Allen F.

So as I understand it these audiophile grade files, (sampling frequency 192kHz) for instance are only for listening to, not for saving to a hard drive or NAS?

Sometimes when  I listen to CD's. I get a form of distortion in the upper mid range / lower treble that sounds to me like congestion. Almost as though a stylus was tracking at insufficient force.

I was hoping that these "higher quality" music files would remedy that.

I've used CD STOP LIGHT and a black marker,  that helps. But I was hoping besides buying new hardware, There we're other remedies.  (IFI ipurifier 2) ect. In any case it limits my listening patience.

I can listen to whole album sides or even more than one album. But with CD's I find that no matter how much I love these songs my limit seems to be 3 or 4.

I intend to upgrade my interconnects as well. 

CARDAS cables seem to have the warm sound that I'm looking for not etchy.

I've  read there are filters that can help also. 

Just for an example I'd prefer the musicality of GRADO than the accuracy of  Van den Hul cartridge

If your system can play native 192-24 there would be no reason not to listen and store backups at that level.  You may choose to down sample your playing copy to a lower resolution instead of doing it inside the player software every time a file is loaded if it cannot.  What kumakuma referred to is loading files onto a Digital Audio Player or laptop that doesn't support files at the higher resolutions his home system does.  For instance when using a dragonfly USB to headphone DAC that only supports 96Hz playback.

The issue with CD playback could be any number of issues from poor mastering/compression to issues with playback.  100% volume in the windows panel and your player software with another device further down the line attenuating volume could be the culprit.  More information would help determine likely sources.  Have you shut down unnecessary services and otherwise tuned W7 for best playback?

This fatiguing sound quality is something we work very hard to eliminate.  Suggesting a box will fix everything without knowing largest problem in need of fixing would be disingenuous.  You might start by looking around in the hardware forum at discussion taking place on programs like Fidelizer.  Try some trial software and see if it helps pinpoint areas that need improvement before throwing money at solutions possibly unrelated to your issues.