IGNORED

Physical CD's

5 hours ago, Bystander said:

But in what sort of situation could I possibly be asked to prove ownership of any of the  data in my possession?

Have you been talking to my wife?  That's the same thing she said when shortly after my recent post on this thread I mentioned that I "needed" to hang on to the ripped CDs.  I considered positing some sort of ATF/SWAT/America;s Most Wanted raid:

"Sir, you need to back away from the Mac Mini...Sir...Sir?...PUT DOWN THE MOUSE!!!!...PUT DOWN THE MOUSE NOW!!!...AHHHH!!!"

It could happen

1 hour ago, ddetaey said:

When you steal a chair and put it in your own home, it is obvious that the rightfull owner cannot sir on his chair anymore.

True. But I haven't actually stolen it,  yet you could still accuse me of having done so if your default assumption is that people are thieves unless proven otherwise. I would have no way of proving to you that I'm the rightful owner of this chair and that there isn't somebody out there I've stolen it from.  

The main thing is was trying to pass on, is that the chair can only used at one place (anhd even by one person at the same time).  A physical CDcan only be used by one player at the same time, however its content can be copied, distributed and used multiple times without any quality loss.

That is the main reason, nobody will ever check if you actually bought the chair.

I am convinced that nobody will check if an individual consumer has bought the physical CD', which content he is listening to.  What they would like to control is if you actually paid one way or another for the music you are listening to.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went through the same scenario a couple of months ago. I realized that with rare exception I'm streaming my music now and most of my CDs just gather dust. I separated the ones that have special meaning to me and the ones that aren't available on Tidal from all the others. The rest I donated to The American Cancer Society and took the tax credit of $2 each for them. It's nice not to have them cluttering my listening space anymore.

• 1 month later...